SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Starter Replacement Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 03:10 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Starter Replacement Adventure

Well, my adventure is about to begin. My 2006 only has about 65K miles but the starter has given up the ghost. My battery is fine, the connections are good, the dash mostly blacks out when the key is turned but the headlights remain on, I hear a faint click and hear what I believe to be the fuel pump but that's all. I only got one warning and it was yesterday. I turned the key the first time and no crank. I released and tried again and it cranked. I tried to start it today and nothing. I checked the starter fuse and relay and they're both good. So . . . I'm ordering parts and thought it would be a good idea to make some footprints-in-the-sand as I go through the replacement process. I've read about how expensive the parts are and how tedious the job is so I'm going to try to stay in good humor as long as I can!

I've ordered my parts through Amazon and the grand total is $156 plus coolant.

The starter is all new parts and it's the "Quality-Built 17748N Supreme Import Starter" an Amazon premium brand item.
The intake manifold gasket set is the Beck Arnley 037-6183 Intake Manifold Gasket Set.
The rear water transfer gaskets (2 req.) is Fel-Pro 35941 Water Outlet Gasket.
The throttle body gasket is Fel-Pro 61281 Throttle Body Mounting Gasket.
I'll either use Totyota Red or Zerex Asian red coolant.

I certainly hope that the Amazon starter is decent as it'll be my labor if I'm wrong. It won't have to be too much better than the Lexus brand starter, though, that only lasted for 65k miles. By the way, Lexus only seems to sell the entire engine rebuild gasket kit for around $400 ($300 street) if you want their gaskets and their starter is $700 ($250 street).

More to come . . .

Last edited by Bon; 11-08-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-02-16, 03:53 PM
Bon
Advanced

For the uninitiated the starter is underneath the intake manifold. Forget the good ole' days where it was easily reached on the side of the engine. It's still hung from just two bolts but there are about 35+ bolts and connectors that have to be removed to get to them!
Old 10-02-16, 05:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...that's good info to know....since I haven't had an issue with the starter, I hadn't even given the location a thought
Old 10-02-16, 08:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Wow, that is amazingly difficult to get to. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-02-16, 10:08 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
For the uninitiated the starter is underneath the intake manifold. Forget the good ole' days where it was easily reached on the side of the engine. It's still hung from just two bolts but there are about 35+ bolts and connectors that have to be removed to get to them!
I just bought my SC last week, and took sometime today to clean the interior, check fluids, and get to know the layout of the engine. I was thinking to myself, the engine looked very similar to my Land Cruiser V8 4.7L - I was wondering if the starter is in the same place. I guess it is... Good luck, and here is a thread with pictures on replacing the starter on LC. Hope this helps. http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/proc...contacts.9117/
Old 10-03-16, 06:57 AM
Bon
Advanced

Thanks for the link BCT. All the Toyota V8's are similar in construction with the starter motor secreted away underneath the manifold. I also found some YouTube videos of 400, 430 and 470 engines that are helpful. I have the shop manual(s) as well. I won't be taking a lot of pictures because it would require a LOT of pictures to detail all the stuff that must be wrestled free. If only there was room to climb inside the engine compartment, as with the LC, to help with lifting the intake manifold out of the way!
Old 10-03-16, 11:23 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

This should make you feel better -- I recently had the starter replaced in my 06 and I think the total bill was over $1000!
Old 10-03-16, 04:16 PM
Bon
Advanced

Well, here we go: I can see the starter! Oh and I can see the knock sensors. And wait until you see what's on the bottom of the intake manifold. So far it's just common tools except for the gas line fitting. Your best (only?) tool for that are flare nut wrenches. Odd thing is that it required an SAE wrench to get the best fit. Otherwise it's just unplug-and-play. I managed to remove the intake manifold by myself. I don't recommend doing it alone though. Two, maybe three guys surrounding the engine would be much better. Even better would be removing the hood and using a hoist. It ain't light and it requires a twist as it's moving up and out. I don't look forward to the reverse but I'll recruit some friends to assist - I hope.

Old 10-03-16, 04:17 PM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This should make you feel better -- I recently had the starter replaced in my 06 and I think the total bill was over $1000!
Oh, and that does make me feel better.
Old 10-07-16, 08:47 AM
Bon
Advanced

Well, we're now in post-op. Everything went well, no special tools needed, no blood given, no spare parts after closure, and no codes thrown. The new Amazon starter went right in, spins eagerly, and the gaskets fit perfectly. It took two of us to get the 50# intake manifold back in place though. I cleaned the throttle body while I had it off and the idle speed and response is noticeably improved.

The inside of the intake manifold sure is interesting. Does anyone know what the eight venturi tubes and butterflies are for?

All done and running great!
Old 10-07-16, 09:17 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Impressive work! Thats an interesting view of the manifold.
Old 10-07-16, 10:17 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Variable length intake I would presume.
Old 10-07-16, 01:52 PM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Variable length intake I would presume.
Quite right. It's Toyota's air control induction System ACIS. Not really new, but is new to me.

Old dog, new tricks.
Old 10-07-16, 04:46 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice job Bon, cool pic also.
Old 10-07-16, 07:38 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice work. I see the Auto Trans dip sick looks fairly tight to get to. I guess the plastic Engine cover has to be removed?

Chris....From OZ.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement Adventure