SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sc430 navigation with aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 01:12 PM
esska
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc430 navigation with aftermarket stereo

It's not what you think I promise. I've found a ton of information about the adapters needed to keep the navigation and steering wheel controls functionality when you put in nan aftermarket head unit. My question is this

if you simply put in an aftermarket head unit and don't buy the adapters for the navigation what happens to that screen??? Does the Lexus logo still appear on startup? Is there a map at all? Is it just a black screen? I really don't want to spend the 4-500$ on the adapter but I also don't want a blank screen staring back at me and keeping that door shut just seems like such a waste of space. Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-16, 02:09 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by esska
It's not what you think I promise. I've found a ton of information about the adapters needed to keep the navigation and steering wheel controls functionality when you put in nan aftermarket head unit. My question is this

if you simply put in an aftermarket head unit and don't buy the adapters for the navigation what happens to that screen??? Does the Lexus logo still appear on startup? Is there a map at all? Is it just a black screen? I really don't want to spend the 4-500$ on the adapter but I also don't want a blank screen staring back at me and keeping that door shut just seems like such a waste of space. Thanks guys.
unplug the radio and let us know what happens...then you can share your findings...but first, what do you think will happen?
Old 10-19-16, 05:12 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

As far as my limited knowledge of this is concerned the two parts are separate.

my shop spent two hours wiring the gen 4 nav system on my 08 to show the lower screen videos on the nav screen.

if I hit the steering wheel switch I either get a blank screen or the nav with nothing playing video wise on the lower pioneer 4200.

after a string of button pushes to allow the DVD to play on the lower screen moving and a short sequence after that to add the nav screen so both play video as the top screen is considered to be the rear screen when I turn off the car and restart it the top nav screen plays the DVD without any other inputs.

No video on the botton screen without the bypass sequence input but the top runs automatically.

toggling the steering wheel switch either shows the nav or the lower units DVD or SD media input.

fun to have the bottom unit be the stereo and the top the nav. Or be able to switch it.

now this does have the expensive box and some hours from a shop to wire it up and the gen 4 nav has enough pixel count to look good with the video input.

only thing is so far the antenna is up when the pioneer is on.

oem radio left the antenna down if on a non radio source and different heights for am versus fm.