SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ideas for new stereo/Nav for 2008 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 11:06 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ideas for new stereo/Nav for 2008 SC430

So I have been researching for a new stereo/Nav for my 2008 SC430 with ML. My thoughts/wants are:

1. I want all the controls on the steering wheel to still work
2. I want the 2 doors to open/close
3. I want a physical *** on the stereo
4. I want it to be Google/Android compatible (I have a paid Google acct for work/pleasure)
5. I want Google maps/waze to work on the top replacement screen
6. I want minimal glare with top down in Florida on both new screens.
7. Bluetooth that loves Samsung S5 and have no problem with songs/big contact list

Maybe a Kenwood with MVA-13L and nice 7" screen up top? Ideas? Thoughts?

Can I do all of the above for $800-1500 or so? Thanks!
Old 11-05-16, 11:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

If your installing you could do it all for under $1000.
Old 11-05-16, 04:37 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Good list.

maybe someone else can post here on this but some of things you asked for i did differently.

i retained the ok factory nav system and am able to play videos on the top and bottom screens.

BUT while the mode button cycles the top screen between a playing DVD and the nav system the up and down controls do not work.

When i asked the installer he mentioned cutting up the OEM wiring would be necessary.

glare is a problem. Turned up my dimmer to plus 48 and the screen brightness and contrast to full up plus 24 and you can see the lower screen in direct sunlight. And it's not overly bright at night.

doors and tilt both work.

maybe a way with another box to send a non DVD or media sd signal to the top screen so if you figure it out please let me know.

i have to go through a certain set of steps to play DVD or media on the lower screen and did not wire the parking brake info into the system.

Plus another set of steps after the lower to get the upper to play the lower video.

funny thing is if I turn off the car and then restart it the top screens "rear video" comes on and plays.

bottom screen comes on with a non driving warning screen but the tops in.

pushing the steering wheels top left mode button switches the top screen between the DVD/sd playing and the OEM nav system.

we sometimes program two separate routes. One on the OEM unit. Second on the lower screen using Apple car play.

if you keep the routes used in a trip in the OEM unit and add the next destination you can store an entire trip in its memory.

probably need to change the top units zone of search if you leave your home area but the continious track keeping should work if you want it.

love to see what you can come up with as our 08 is a work in progress.

would like the rear antenna to stay down unless in radio but so far it's up with the unit on.
Old 11-05-16, 04:53 PM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CAFlashBob,

It sounds like you did not use the MVA-13L or similar. Do you wish you had? Happy with the Pioneer?
Old 11-05-16, 06:03 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ccurtin1
Thanks CAFlashBob,

It sounds like you did not use the MVA-13L or similar. Do you wish you had? Happy with the Pioneer?
i understand they did use the unit.

The pioneer works very well. The comparison Kenwood in reviews seems less liked.
Old 11-06-16, 03:36 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

I am leaning towards the Kenwood Excelon DDX9903S as it seems with the firmware update the bugs are almost gone. It comes with a 2-year warranty too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/compare_1...C-8200NEX.html
Old 11-06-16, 07:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ccurtin1
Thanks CAFlashBob,

here is a short thread on this subject...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...to-choose.html

i installed the beatsonic, backup camera, pioneer AVH-X5700. The steering wheel controls all function. The arrow buttons now control the front rear fader, volume works and mode button changes the nav screen from GPS to radio DVD. I wish I could get the radio to mirror itself to the upper screen for easier viewing of Waze. My phone transfers Waze to the pioneer screen but not the GPS screen.
Old 11-06-16, 08:59 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bgw70
here is a short thread on this subject...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...to-choose.html

i installed the beatsonic, backup camera, pioneer AVH-X5700. The steering wheel controls all function. The arrow buttons now control the front rear fader, volume works and mode button changes the nav screen from GPS to radio DVD. I wish I could get the radio to mirror itself to the upper screen for easier viewing of Waze. My phone transfers Waze to the pioneer screen but not the GPS screen.
i wanted Apple car play support which the 4200 has. We have two USB cords in the console. One charges through a Apple cord and the other cord when plugged into a iPhone shows the car play.

my volume works albeit slowly. Same mode button function.

No my nav screen is considered a rear unit in the menu and I think pioneer only sends a media/DVD signal to the "rear" unit(nav screen)

The auto equalization speaker setup worked wonderfully with the optional $20 microphone.

no radio on my nav screen. Only the DVD or media slots SD materiel

Backup camera previously installed works on the nav screen.

pretty happy with the 4200. Wanted car play support. Like the new cars.

need to find out if the 4200 or beat sonic or another box can control the antenna like the OEM head did.