SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need help, totally stumped?! no signal from rear antenna??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 04:05 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need help, totally stumped?! no signal from rear antenna??

I just had the car for about two weeks (and love driving it!) and did the Naviks backup cam upgrade and was pleased with the result. But then I realized that there was no AM radio and FM signal was weak too. I am certain that the signal from rear antenna is lost completely because if I disconnect the cable underneath the windshield from the windshield antenna there would be no FM signal at all. The mast moves up and down just fine when switching between AM/FM and the previous owner said she recalled having AM radio before she sold me the car. So now it seems that the only event that could have triggered losing the rear antenna signal was adding the Naviks. So I uninstalled Naviks to see if Naviks was the cause but it didn't make any difference. Now the signal from rear/main antenna is gone no matter what. I went thru fuses that marked radio No. 1 and 2 and fuses no.19 and no.22 that had antenna listed. And none brought back AM. I am totally stumped. Any suggestions as to where to look for the cause? Do the GPS/Nav and the box above it (a Pioneer unit) have anything to do with the rear antenna? Thanks much for your help and suggestions!
Old 11-05-16, 05:20 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Your FM signal comes from the rear antenna , The fact that your antenna mast raise when you turn on radio only indicates an electrical connection to the motor of the antenna The FM signal is carried by a separate cable to the radio The AM antenna is embedded in the windshield glass. There should be two antenna cables that plug into to the back of the radio. The back up camera should have nothing to do with the fm antenna unless you damaged the cable running to the antenna on the rear fender.
Old 11-05-16, 07:05 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

My understanding is that AM signal comes from rear antenna. When I unplugged the windshield antenna I got nothing, which means no signal from rear antenna to begin with. Is there Lexus doc that shows which antenna feeds what signal?
Old 11-06-16, 09:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

I read somewhere that both antennas feed the FM. By having two antennas, it helps the radio triangulate the best signal or something.
Old 11-06-16, 09:31 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

look at this post, there are some docs which might help you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...enna-woes.html
Old 11-06-16, 10:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I've done a lot of work with the antennae on our SC430's.
-Both the windshield antenna and rear antenna both aid in FM reception.
-Only one of these is necessary for FM reception (in the past I only had the windshield antenna connected and my stations worked perfectly).
-One antenna wire end is called a Motorola type and the other is a proprietary Lexus end. There are adapter available to change one to the other and vice versa (with minimal modifiiaton- bought mine from Fry's Electronics and a local car stereo installation shop)
-Can't comment on which antenna gives AM signal, but with my rear antenna disconnected, I didn't notice any failure in AM channels
-With the rear antenna disconnected, I will still able to get TEXT, TRAFFIC, and Station MSG on the radio LCD display.

Hope this synopsis helps clear up any confusion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...002-sc430.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ns-please.html
Old 11-07-16, 07:45 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

While we are on this topic, what does the TRAF button do and how do I enable it?
Old 11-07-16, 02:03 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I've done a lot of work with the antennae on our SC430's.
-Both the windshield antenna and rear antenna both aid in FM reception.
-Only one of these is necessary for FM reception (in the past I only had the windshield antenna connected and my stations worked perfectly).
-One antenna wire end is called a Motorola type and the other is a proprietary Lexus end. There are adapter available to change one to the other and vice versa (with minimal modifiiaton- bought mine from Fry's Electronics and a local car stereo installation shop)
-Can't comment on which antenna gives AM signal, but with my rear antenna disconnected, I didn't notice any failure in AM channels
-With the rear antenna disconnected, I will still able to get TEXT, TRAFFIC, and Station MSG on the radio LCD display.

Hope this synopsis helps clear up any confusion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...002-sc430.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ns-please.html
Shawn, I actually read your posts and your installation of Naviks. Did you have AM before you installed Naviks? I am thinking about putting in Grom in my stereo and just having HD radio instead but am concerned about taking things apart at the console.
Old 11-07-16, 02:09 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sideswipe
While we are on this topic, what does the TRAF button do and how do I enable it?
I have seen mine come on from time to time on the display and its supposed to be for traffic data. But does it get displayed on GSP or radio? I have not seen it. But traffic without NAV integration is meaningless.
Old 11-07-16, 02:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

TRAF is for traffic updates direct from radio stations. Before updated GPS with live traffic, I remember I could tap this button and it would put TRAF on the LCD window and anytime a radio station was broadcasting a traffic report, my radio would automatically tune to that station. I doubt this system is still used these days. As for AM previous to NAVIKS, yes it worked perfectly fine and still continues to work without fail. I've heard of other members using GROM but I chose VAISTech as they had more funcationality when compared to Grom (ie. USB input in Grom was unnecceary for me). I need a device that would give me dedicated 3.5mm input and control as an AUX unit. Also btn GROM and VaisTech, since I have a 2002, I don't recall if GROM had anything for a 2002 at that time.
The following users liked this post:
fishinmagi (01-05-22)