SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

'05 Nav lag

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 01:56 PM
Stripe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Nav lag

Long time reader, 1st time poster... My '05 nav system "falls behind" over a relatively short distance causing it to eventually skip to another road and go way off. I've updated the map but did not help. Has not always been this way. I tried resetting the new tire calibration but honestly have no idea if I did it properly. Have tried many times over multiple months, even through a tire change. Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-16, 04:19 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stripe
Long time reader, 1st time poster... My '05 nav system "falls behind" over a relatively short distance causing it to eventually skip to another road and go way off. I've updated the map but did not help. Has not always been this way. I tried resetting the new tire calibration but honestly have no idea if I did it properly. Have tried many times over multiple months, even through a tire change. Any suggestions?
Could be a failing antenna [ Thats a really tough thing to replace its behind the dash behind the navigation and attached to the inside of the firewall.] Is this a new issue your having. Does it happen no matter where you are or going to ?
Old 11-15-16, 05:44 PM
2004sc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could also just be your DVD player that is failing. I believe the Nav system is nothing but a DVD player with a DVD disk in it. If the "reader beam" on the player gets dirty, it will no longer work properly. I would try cleaning the player first. Likely a product out there that you can just insert into your player and it automatically plays and cleans. Worth a try. I've had lots of different Nav systems and have personally never seen the antenna go bad. Not saying it won't...I've just never seen it.
Old 11-15-16, 06:18 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Could be a failing antenna [ Thats a really tough thing to replace its behind the dash behind the navigation and attached to the inside of the firewall.] Is this a new issue your having. Does it happen no matter where you are or going to ?
I think this may be on the right track. I have hacked the nav so that I can "trick" it into thinking that the car is not in motion, such that I can then input destination (or whatever) while moving. When I go back to "normal" sometimes (just sometimes) the Nav seems to be kinda wonky for a few minutes and not know where roads are. It will think I am on a nearby road or sometimes driving through a field.

Does the NAV figure out the correct position on its own after a few minutes?
Does power cycling (turning car completely off, restarting) get you back on the correct road?

My
Old 11-16-16, 07:20 AM
Stripe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav lag

it developed about a year ago. Does not correct itself once it starts to lag so far that it hops to another road. Then it continues into whatever field, lake etc. at a stop I will recalibrate but it eventually falls behind again. Sometimes within same trip but other times holds for a couple days. From reading other threads , 1st thought antenna but didn't know if that explains slow lag development. It does not just hop around on its own, just a slow inaccurate death. Ha

Last edited by Stripe; 11-16-16 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old 11-16-16, 03:37 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

This is EXACTLY the behavior I get when I disconnect the speed sensor from the NAV unit (which permits me to enter destination while moving). When I reconnect the speed sensor, the NAV finds where it is eventually, although that takes several seconds to several minutes, during which time the screen can show me behind, driving through lakes/fields, or locked onto a nearby road that I am not really on.

I don't know if/how this helps you, but perhaps it is a clue.

Two things:

1. What do you mean by stop and re calibrate?
2. Just for laughs, the next time you are drifting off course try to input a destination and see whether you can or whether you are still locked out.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 11-16-16 at 03:45 PM.