SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 "dissed" again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03 | 09:45 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Angry SC430 "dissed" again!

I was just reading the June edition of one of the auto mags in which they tested the Cadillac XLR against the MB SL500, the Jaquar XKR, and the Maserati Coupe. The magazine made a point of saying that they would have included the SC430, but that it has a "strange shape" and doesn't really cut it in either ride or handling (not exact quote, but close). They then went on to say that it does have a "slamming V8" and great build quality, but it can't hold it's own in this group.

Okay, we've all discussed how weighted the auto mags are toward track testing, but I have two comments on this article...

1) Let's look at the value equation here. The price of the SC430 is at least $15,000 less than the least expensive car in this test ($75,000 for a Cadillac???), and it gives you the greatest bang for the buck. And let's face it... the Jag XK is no slot car!

2) How can Lexus continue to let the auto writers slam this car without making any changes in the ride/handling that could make it more competitive? Do they think the owners just don't care? The first gen SC used to be the darling of the auto mags. Lexus needs to work toward reclaiming the throne.

Anyway, just had to share my thoughts. I still love my SC and would choose it over any of the other cars for real world use. Just get tired of seeing these articles. Guess I'll have to cancel my subscriptions!
Old 05-22-03 | 10:16 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

dseag ...

I wonder how many SC430 owners read auto mags or even care what's written in them about Lexus automobiles. I have a hunch most Lexus owners are more concerned with the Lexus quality/luxury/service rather than performance/handling issues.

On the other hand, there are self-admitted "motorheads" such as Larry.
Old 05-22-03 | 10:55 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
dseag ...

I wonder how many SC430 owners read auto mags or even care what's written in them about Lexus automobiles. I have a hunch most Lexus owners are more concerned with the Lexus quality/luxury/service rather than performance/handling issues.

On the other hand, there are self-admitted "motorheads" such as Larry.
..and me... I just feel they don't always know what they are talking about and often disagree... I tend to form my own opinion based on REAL experience/comparison

Saying that a GM Caddy is not in the same class as Lexus is a true statement.... BUT not for the reasons mentioned above
Old 05-22-03 | 11:44 AM
MLSC430
Driver

i think is all a bunch of crap....... how the F#@ can they compare a $60k+ car, with cars that are way over that, and come on, performace? SC430 may not be the fastest but it does have pretty good pick up, and pretty good top speed, and besides, we are driving it while the other pieces of craps, sit at the shop for problems...... sure people buy a $15K, $25k, or even $80k+ cars, because "well it perfome better" but you know what we are driving ours while theirs go back to the dealership again and again........, i don't know about other people, but when i am paying for a car, i like to drive it, not give it to the dealership so they can storage it....... so everyone who thinks the SC430 is weak or not "up to their standars" they can KI$$ MY A$$....!!!
Old 05-22-03 | 11:46 AM
MLSC430
Driver

oh, and about caddy........ Lexus is not the one giving 24 hours test drives cause they crap cars don't sell........
Old 05-22-03 | 11:59 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Oh, I don't think the pickup is all that great. I've had this car f or almost two years and I ain't picked up nuthin' yet!
Old 05-22-03 | 12:41 PM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

Default SC430

i had this car for almost a year and a half now and i still get compliments from strangers admiring the car. I dont care what this auto critics are saying but i am certainly happy with this car. I wouldnt trade it for a Cadillac!
Old 05-22-03 | 06:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

dseag2, don't worry about these auto journalists. They are never too fond of Toyota since they are never known to be makers of driver's cars.
If their words are of any authority at all, Toyota Corp won't be the most overwhelmingly dominant force in the industry as it is today.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-22-03 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-22-03 | 09:34 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

dseag2

I brought this same article up in another thread a few days back (SC fault list) and you responded then that these magazines just drive cars for a few hours and can form no real opinions for how it is over the long haul. You were talking about how you had used a magazine's review to purchase another vehicle. I was just confused why you mentioned it again when you already commented on it earlier?? I think it was poor taste for Automobile to say what they did, but they weren't too hot on the SC430 when it came out. You love your SC and I love mine, and let some schmuck buy an overpriced Maserati, luxury corvette (Caddy), or a dated Jag. That sucking sound they'll hear when they own it for a month is the depreciation vacuum eating them alive. I know all cars depreciate like rocks, but the SC should definitely out perform those cars easily. Besides, every other article I've read drools over the SC. Some have even said for the money, it kicks the SL's ***. I'm sure in MB forums they have a thread about SL being dissed. Go out and put your right foot down in your SC. You'll forget about Automobile. I might still write them a letter about it though. We should at least stand by our car. Oh well. Take care. Happy motoring.

Doc C
Old 05-22-03 | 09:35 PM
dartdoc1
Driver

I can totally agree with all your remarks about the cadillacs, this is from my personal expierence I owned gmc trucks for 10 years and have to say honestly never had any major problems from them 2 were brand new and 2 used with less than 10,000 miles

To get back on the subject I decided I wanted a car and had always wanted a cadillac eldorado, so in 2001 I picked up a 99 eldorado w/25,000 miles on it 1 year later and 34,000 miles I had to trade it, I think it was in the shop as much as I drove it after eveything was working to my satisfaction I traded it for the car I'm driving today a 1997 lexus sc400 bought 1 year ago w/ 52,000 and boy does it ever feel good not having to see the service manager every other week (that's a good thing since my nearesr dealership is 100 miles away) My only problem to date is a slight oil leak at the pan gasket which will be fixed soon since this is a (cpo) vehicle.
Old 05-26-03 | 03:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Doc C... sorry I didn't remember. Over two weeks went by between your post and mine, so I didn't realize we were talking about the same article. I haven't changed my opinion... I still wouldn't use an auto mag to make a car purchase decision... but that doesn't mean I wouldn't occasionally like to see our car get decent reviews from test drivers.
Old 05-26-03 | 04:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

dseag2, did you read the comparison in Edmunds.com. They came in second next to the SL in a 4 car comparison.They comment that they don't feel excited driving it, but at least they gave credit where credit is due, unlike some like a car and driver's comparison where they have the SC430 winning all performance and handling critirea as well as luxury, build quality & amenities, but pick the other car only because it has that sporty "German teutonic feel". It's the most ridiculous joke of an article in a car magazine I've ever read. Sometimes its obvious that they have decided on their choice before they ever sat inside the cars.

Many of these guys just don't know what they are talking about, and if you 've read enough of them, you'll notice they often contradict themselves when doing these reviews in different issues(different testers?), and worst, sometimes within the same article.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-26-03 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-26-03 | 04:58 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

for $65K, the SC *****s on every one of those vehicles, if I had an extra $30K to spend I might get the SL but I live in an area that is way to expensive already and I unfortunately have to work for a living
Old 05-28-03 | 09:54 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Let's face the truth guys........the SC is CRAP !! It's too dependable, looks too good, doesn't handle well at 155 miles an hour, doesn't make enough noise, gets too much attention, it too much value for what it costs, has a great resale value, has 2 less horsepower than the SL500, doesn't spend enough time in the shop, has NO quirks, the radio sounds too good, the fit and finish is great and WORST of all, it has one of the best service warranties of any luxury car.

Everytime I look at mine I think "Why didn't I buy an M3.....use Official BMW oil for $9 bucks a quart .....and then blow the engine at 15,000 miles ???"
Old 05-28-03 | 10:47 AM
MLSC430
Driver

too funny, larry you are too funny....!!!

Quick Reply: SC430 "dissed" again!