SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Needed maintenance for a 10 year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 08:24 AM
cwhtrains
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have always used Stabil in in the fuel system for at least the last 10 years or more and generally have been driving it enough to use a full tank of gas each year. I also keep the car on a battery tender so no problems with dead batteries. I finally did have to replace the OEM battery in March of 2012. I purchased an Interstate battery to replace the OEM battery, but that battery required replacement again in July 2016 (partially warrantied since I kept the purchase receipt).
Old 01-08-17, 02:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I just swapped out the very old (2004 dated) runflats on my SC for a set of Michelin pilot sport as/3 plus tires (purchased at Costco). The Costco tire techs had a very difficult time getting the old dried out stiff runflats off of the wheels. Took them 2 hours to swap in the new tires. The new Michelins were not cheap but they feel great, better handling, ride, much smoother, way more quiet, huge difference from the runflats.
Old 01-08-17, 10:48 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I just swapped out the very old (2004 dated) runflats on my SC for a set of Michelin pilot sport as/3 plus tires (purchased at Costco). The Costco tire techs had a very difficult time getting the old dried out stiff runflats off of the wheels. Took them 2 hours to swap in the new tires. The new Michelins were not cheap but they feel great, better handling, ride, much smoother, way more quiet, huge difference from the runflats.
do you drive your sc in winter snow or ice type weather?
Old 01-09-17, 11:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

oh yes, those are excellent tires and I really enjoy them! They handle really well and feel great at all speeds!
Old 01-10-17, 06:10 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
do you drive your sc in winter snow or ice type weather?
Yes we are really enjoying the new Michelin tires. We live near the Gulf Coast in Southeast US. Very little ice and snow down here...it can happen but it is rare and we would likely drive our toyota highlander in that case. Down here most folks just stay off the roads in case of ice or snow for a day or two max.

I would never put runflats back on the SC again. It's like a totally different car with the new non-runflat tires. My car had sat unused for many years, only had 27k miles, before our recent purchase it had all fluids changed out - ATF, coolant, brake fluid, and PS fluid.

The idle was not glass smooth like my LS430 so I ran 3 successive containers of Techron fuel system cleaner through 3 tanks of gas. Also changed the engine and cabin filters and thoroughly cleaned MAF and TB twice. The idle has smoothed out though not quite as absolutely glass smooth as on my LS where you absolutely cannot feel the engine running at idle.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 01-10-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:57 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have Michelin pilot sports and Lexus made a BIG mistake putting runflats on the SC430. The ride went bad after just a 1-2000 mile period. I also put a small air compressor tire fix kit in the trunk. Some have put a spare in but I did not want the extra space or weight. I only miss not having Bluetooth for music. I have not attempted a mod for the radio. The engine is much smoother than our 2016 RX350.
Old 01-10-17, 08:58 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harold57
The TPM sensor batteries are not replaceable, so the only alternative is to replace them. They are not cheap, so you might wait until they go out. However, if you just want to replace them as a preventative maintenance action, do it when you replace the tires. Be aware that the dealer will have to reprogram the TPMS to accept the new sensors unless you have a Tech Stream, in which case you'll be able to do it yourself. (Most tire shops do not have the capability to reprogram the monitoring system.)
not sure this is the same but I recently had Costco replace all four wheel sensors and reprogram the Toyota solara's computer to register them. $260
Old 01-10-17, 09:06 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Yes we are really enjoying the new Michelin tires. We live near the Gulf Coast in Southeast US. Very little ice and snow down here...it can happen but it is rare and we would likely drive our toyota highlander in that case. Down here most folks just stay off the roads in case of ice or snow for a day or two max.

I would never put runflats back on the SC again. It's like a totally different car with the new non-runflat tires. My car had sat unused for many years, only had 27k miles, before our recent purchase it had all fluids changed out - ATF, coolant, brake fluid, and PS fluid.

The idle was not glass smooth like my LS430 so I ran 3 successive containers of Techron fuel system cleaner through 3 tanks of gas. Also changed the engine and cabin filters and thoroughly cleaned MAF and TB twice. The idle has smoothed out though not quite as absolutely glass smooth as on my LS where you absolutely cannot feel the engine running at idle.
the reason I asked was because by accident our local Costco installed your tires on our 08.

when I drove the car I was impressed but still had a bit of steering wander and a slightly roungh ride on sharp impacts.

900 miles later I noticed the tires were not the Michelin power super sports I had ordered.

took the car back and Costco switched the tires. Oh my. Major difference.

No wander, almost no groove tracking. Quieter, smoother ride.

see the recent consumer reports tire tests. They top rated the Michelins in the summer tire section.

just saying. Seems from the owners review the super sports do rain ok just not as good on snow or ice.

i have a large 4x4 truck I,would use if it ever had winter here
Old 01-10-17, 09:37 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I happen to have 06 LS430 and 07 SC430, and they have about the same mileage LS at 129k and SC at 121k. They are equally smooth in idle and ride, with the exception of quicker acceleration and firmer suspension of SC. When my wife first drove our SC last year she was amazed that a sport car could be as quiet and smooth as LS430.
If the car is over ten years old and over 100k miles then rough idle could be caused by aging motor mounts which are made out of rubber. I had motor mounts replaced on my last LS400 and it made a huge difference. If rough idle bothers you the motor mounts probably need to be looked at. In SC there are three of them that hold the engine tightly in place.

Last edited by jzdulexus; 01-10-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:21 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
I happen to have 06 LS430 and 07 SC430, and they have about the same mileage LS at 129k and SC at 121k. They are equally smooth in idle and ride, with the exception of quicker acceleration and firmer suspension of SC. When my wife first drove our SC last year she was amazed that a sport car could be as quiet and smooth as LS430.
If the car is over ten years old and over 100k miles then rough idle could be caused by aging motor mounts which are made out of rubber. I had motor mounts replaced on my last LS400 and it made a huge difference. If rough idle bothers you the motor mounts probably need to be looked at. In SC there are three of them that hold the engine tightly in place.
The slight vibration at idle in gear on the SC430 was bothering me so today I removed the PVC valve and thoroughly cleaned it. It was sticking a little and wasn't fulling sealing because of carbon buildup. Used some TB cleaner, PB Blaster and then some WD40 to clean it and get it working smoothly. reinstalled and slight idle vibration is gone. Car only has 28k miles on it so I was surprised that the PVC valve was as dirty as it was. It is an inexpensive part so I will order and install a brand new PVC valve this week.