SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

We did it

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03 | 02:12 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Talking We did it

We found our "new" 19 month old certified SC430 for under $50k.
Lucky to find it with the newest Goodyear non run flats (Eagle F1GS-D3)
look these up on www.tirerack.com. We also got a new spare kit from lexus
Comes with 36month/100k Lexus warranty. For $1495.00 we can add
another 2 years to that. Need help with that decision .How do you guys feel
this? Will adding cold air intake really give that much improvemet and will
it void the warranty? What does that pwr botton do exactly? How can I
find out if the rear bushings have been changed?

More questions to come.
Thanks for all your past and future help.

Joe
Old 05-23-03 | 02:11 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap
CL Folding 500000

Sounds like you found a winner, Joe. With respect to the additional warranty, figure out how long you'll want to own the car and if you want the security of a warranty in year four and five. If you plan to own the car for two-three years the extra warranty gives potential buyers an incentive to buy your car, and you most likely can charge $1500-$2000 more for the extra coverage. Is the SC430 likely to have warranty issues in year four or five? Very doubtful, IMHO.

All work performed by Lexus dealers is kept on a central computer - have a dealership run a report on the car to see if the suspension bushings were replaced.
Old 05-23-03 | 06:48 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Reply How many miles? what is the VIN? Color? I will try to give you an opinion as I am in texas, a fellow sc430 owner, and a Lexus Pre Owned manager.
Old 05-23-03 | 07:27 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Joe Peters

Joe;
Roofless gave you good advice concerning the warranty. Additional consideration as a point of reference: Replacement of starter motor in an SC 430 is $1000.00 installed by Lexus. However as a counter point I would say that any mechanical repairs will probably be minimal. I have had no problems with mine whatsoever, aside from routine maintenance. "We report YOU decide".
As for the "power button" it's purpose is extended the shift points in each gear of the transmission. In other words if you want to get "into" it, place the switch in power and you will wind out each gear closer to red-line. Of course gas mileage suffers as a result.
Best of luck with the SC 430, I know you will enjoy it, especially with the top down.
Ron
Old 05-25-03 | 04:42 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Reply How many miles? what is the VIN? Color? I will try to give you an opinion as I am in texas, a fellow sc430 owner, and a Lexus Pre Owned manager.

34,000 mi
JTHFN48Y420012991
Black/Saddle

Joe
Old 05-26-03 | 07:53 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Joe, It appears that you have already made your purchase. The color is great but the miles are a little high. I would bid that car for another dealer or trade at mine for 42k dependant on good cond. I would sell the car for 47k or so certified. With the service history the dealer did not do the 30k when they certified it because it was in the service history as done. But when you further investigate the line of service at 31825 miles the transmission and fuel service were declined. This would concern me as an owner becuase the 15k service was not done either. Now the transmission dipstick actually says that the trans fluid never needs service but ask any service advisor and they will tell you to do the service. I did the service on mine at 15k and will at 30k. Also there is a constant reference to an accident in the service history with mention of Autocraft like they are a sublet company or vendor. If this vehicle was in an accident the values mentioned earlier would be lower and in Texas the should disclose this fully.
Old 05-26-03 | 05:16 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Dan,
Looks like the Money was "burning a hole in our pockets"
and we rushed in to soon at 49,280.00 for a 33k mile car.
We will be in Houston (Spring) to visit the grandkids 5/30-6/6.
would like to meet you. What dealership are you at?
Mabee I need to sell this one and find another.
Joe
Old 05-26-03 | 05:35 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Your car will sound / look / run better with the new air intake. Just keep your old system so if you have to take it to the shop. Who will know. Your car will not need much other then scheduled maint. Once you put one on its easy to take off.

The one I put on my car Blitz looks and works great. I should of done it sooner but what stopped me was they dont make them for my car and I had to figure out a way to make my own. Changing mine back to stock will take less then 15 minutes.

Good luck with your new ride.
Old 05-27-03 | 12:49 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Joe, feel free to visit anytime. I am at Sterling Mccall Lexus on 59 south at Beltway 8. I hope you are enjoying your car. Dont forget to wear sunsreen, I am so red from riding around with the top down.

PS I did not go for the tube type intake but I did replace my factory air filter with a K&N replacement part.
Old 05-27-03 | 08:32 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

If they have not shipped yet mabee I should cancel the
order and just get a K&N replacement. Can you feel any
difference?
I changed my stock corvette air filter lid for a Z06 lid and
K&N Filter and felt the change. After about two weeks of
hard driving really felt the difference.

See ya in Houston
Joe

ps You need what I sell.
www.pbhats.com
Old 05-27-03 | 10:56 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default Need to find an SC

I've got a '99 GS400 and because I work at Meade Lexus of Southfield, in Michigan, I'm around SC430's all day and now with the weather getting nicer, I'm in desperate need of an SC430. Cert. Pre-Owned is the only way I'd go, knowing its value.

However, a friend of mine who's a broker has been telling me how banks like 5/3'd can get me into an SC430 in my color choice (red/saddle or white/saddle) for under $650 for 36mo. Ahhh... the broker business... intruiging yet feels so risky.... yes or no?

Anybody want to pay $28k (payoff is $28,315.54 to be exact) for a Beautiful, Lexus Dealer Employee Owned '99 GS400, nak, and 60k on the odometer? (See Sig.)

If so, please let me know, I'm losing sleep over this!

Hello fellow Lexus Dealership Manager....LexPro, How does Sterling Mccall rank in your reigion? How many new/P/O cars do you guys do on avg.?

We're #1 in the Central Region (by Lexus Terms) in new cars. We do about 170-250 per mo. new and about 40-50 P/O per mo.
Old 05-28-03 | 11:05 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

Joe, your hat store is really cool. I did burn my head driving with the top down all over houston last weekend. Just dont let your favorite hat blow off when the top is down. As far as the filter I put 20" inch wheels on it at the same time so any accelleration gain was cancelled out by the bigger wheel and tire combo.

Mnite, sounds like you should have no problem selling your car at your dealership. Just offer the car for sale for 500 over your payoff and let the sales person who sells it have the 500$ as commission. You will be suprised how many times your car is shown for the cash in fist style commission. Of course ask your preowned manager if it is okay with him. As far as brokers in Texas it is against the law, so maybe there is a reason why the state is trying to protect the consumer from them but i dont know. Our dealership does about 200-250 new and 80-100 used. We are pretty busy. I think JM is number one in new cars in our region and does 500 plus new, and Sewell is number one in preowned with well over 100 per month.
Good luck on getting your SC430, does your dealer participate in the Master Assoc. lease subsidy?
Old 05-28-03 | 03:05 PM
MidniteLexus
Driver

Default OH YA!!

Great Idea LexPro!

That idea never crossed my mind!

I'm going to mention that to our Pre-Owned Manager.... I'm a Manager's Assistant around here, I help the sales managers track, train, and assist the salespeople. Pretty cool job for a 21 year old U of M student! (Been here for well over 2 years, and it only has made me love the Lexus product more and more every day.)

We do the Master Certified Lease program, but because I'm only part time, I dont qualify, I WISH!

I'm so excited now about selling my GS on the lot------ that TOTALLY BLEW MY MIND-----i forgot about that! We've had several salesppl who have done that, works out GREAT!

Thanks for the input!

I think JM Lexus is the #1 Lexus dealer in the U.S. (essentially the world) They have pumped out 800 new in some peak months!

Midnite
Old 05-28-03 | 08:01 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Dan,
Can you tell me where to pick up a K&N Air Filter
in Houston (Spring). The don't seem to stock them
in Ft Worth and I don't want to special order one.
What is a good price for one.
Joe
Old 05-29-03 | 01:50 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Call Mark at 281 853 1433. tell him i told you how he got me one.

Quick Reply: We did it