SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spare tire kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 01:15 PM
RMR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KTL
estimated quote is about $611.00 for parts (includes shipping)
He will be shipping in a few days to me once all parts arrive.

The place I got it from was an ebay seller- lorparts.
His store on e-bay is called- Factory Lexus Parts

Phone: 916-783-9111
Email: mmolini@lexusofroseville.net

Matt has been very good to work with and he is considering putting together the conversion package as an item on their e-bay store. They have an excellent rating on e-bay.

KTL

If anybody is interested in the techinical service info bulletin for this conversion kit, I can fax to you if you send me an e-mail with your fax number.

I would DEFINITELY want to get this package w/spare tire if/when they put it together for sale. If the extra space is needed, one could always remove the spare temporarily. In that case, if you still needed the spare, a "carry bag" for the spare would be cool too... could just plop it in the back seat while using the trunk , or leave it at home. Runflates suck, and their use may never be realized. They are certainly a money maker for the tire companies

NICE430
Old 12-14-05, 08:19 PM
beachdrive
Rookie

Default Spare Tire

I did replace my RFT with non-run flats in 2003. I bought the spare tire and mounting hardware from Lexus but did not buy any of the trim parts. I cut the existing carpet and carpet like trim peices to fit by hand. Then I took the flexible piece to a seat trim shop for stitching of new edge welting ($20) and then did the rigid piece myself with some welting bought at the trim shop and applied with hot melt glue. Might not pass a competition inspection, but looks fine to me.
Old 12-16-05, 07:50 AM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default I need a SC430 Runflat Kit

Okay, any headway on the group buy proposal? I have an '02 and am sick of the runflat ride. I complain about it to anybody who rides with me. When I go over potholes it is awful (we have a ton in Atlanta) and my whole car rattles, sqeaks and shakes.

I went over a huge pothole about 5 months ago and it busted the runflat! I couldn't find a tire shop that carried the stupid tire here in town so I had to go to my Lexus dealer and pay $430 for a new one installed! That is retarded for a single tire!

Anyway, I want to switch to non-run flats and I want A/S2's, I think. So, will the spare tire kit come without the tire so I can install whatever spare I want or is it a standard donut spare? Also, if we did a group buy, would we have to install it ourselves? I am clueless when it comes to doing anything on a car, so how hard is it? If the groupbuy doesn't work out, I think I may go ahead and do dealer-installed route here in Atlanta as $800 once vs. paying $430 per tire could get out of hand.

I will say it was great to be able to drive for a day on the flat tire before I had to get it replaced.
Old 12-16-05, 10:59 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I go over potholes it is awful (we have a ton in Atlanta) and my whole car rattles, sqeaks and shakes.

I went over a huge pothole about 5 months ago and it busted the runflat!

I live just outside of Boston and we will be having pothole season in a couple of months. My question to you would be:

What do you think will happen to a low profile 18" non runflat when you hit the same pothole? My guess is you will be replacing a lot of tires and rims if it's as bad as you say. I haven't seen anyone discuss this in the ongoing debate. If you live in an area of potholes or construction(Big Dig here in Boston) then I would think that should be a consideration. I am no fan of these runflats, at least the Potenzas that came with my car, but I do have some concerns about the 18" low profile conventional tires and potholes, nevermind the loss of trunk space.

Just my $.02
Old 12-16-05, 11:14 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well he was saying your gonna bust a tire reguardless, its just cheaper to replace a non-run flat and no one says you gotta get 18" low profile you could get a higher profile.
Old 12-17-05, 03:27 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
well he was saying your gonna bust a tire reguardless, its just cheaper to replace a non-run flat and no one says you gotta get 18" low profile you could get a higher profile.
All I am saying is it may turn out to be problematic if driving conditions are tricky, that's all. You make the right point that a smaller wheel and more sidewall is the right move. It seems pretty tough to ruin these runflats over potholes, at least so far. I am hoping as the technology advances the ride may improve. I have seen both here and other sites where both the Goodyear and Dunlop runflats are getting better reviews.

Good luck and keep us posted.
JTMav
Old 12-28-05, 02:38 PM
KTL
Driver School Candidate

Looks good whats the price you got?
This is an update for this thread.
I got the whole conversion package kit for 610.75 ( including shipping from CA to SC)
I received the packages a couple of days ago and put them in today. It was very easy. Took about 40 minutes with a minimum of tools. I had to put air in the tire and that was about it. Matt Molini of Lexus of Roseville, CA. was very helpful and got the parts ordered very quickly and shipped without a problem. Give him a call if you are interested. His contact info is below.

Matt Molini
Parts Associate
Lexus of Roseville
Phone: 916-783-9111
Fax: 916-677-8840
Email: mmolini@lexusofroseville.net
www.lexusofroseville.com

If anybody needs a copy of the tech bulletin for instruction I can fax to you

Kerry
Old 12-29-05, 05:07 AM
beachdrive
Rookie

Default Switching to non-run flats

I switched to non run flats some time ago. I recall discussion at that time that 38 PSI was a better tire pressure to use (in run flats) in that it improved the ride.

I have always kept my non-run flats at 35 - 36 PSI and just recently went to 38 PSI. I have noticed a significant improvement in the how the car responds to major deffects in the highway surface. It smooths out the ride. So I guess the higher PSI works for low profile tires regardless of run flat or non run flat.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 01-10-06, 06:49 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I just ordered some parts from the kit and the guy said the the rear carpets only come in grey! Is this true I coulda sworn I saw a picture of the spare tire kit and the guy had beige/ecru colored carpets covering his spare tire and trunk.
Old 01-10-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I just ordered some parts from the kit and the guy said the the rear carpets only come in grey! Is this true I coulda sworn I saw a picture of the spare tire kit and the guy had beige/ecru colored carpets covering his spare tire and trunk.
please correct me, but i thought there is only one color trunk setup for all sc430 interior colors?
Old 01-10-06, 10:06 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
please correct me, but i thought there is only one color trunk setup for all sc430 interior colors?

my trunk is beige, I have ecru interior
Old 01-10-06, 12:03 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

it was bugging the hell out of me so I went and found the picture

I have the same color interior
Old 01-10-06, 12:07 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I think the guy just has a bunch of grey ones in stock and doesnt want to order me the right one
Old 01-10-06, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it was bugging the hell out of me so I went and found the picture

I have the same color interior
yeah that's what i have for my trunk too, i have saddle....

that's what i was saying. that might look like beige, and that might look like grey, depends on how you call it. i could be wrong but i thought even black interior has that color trunk
Old 01-10-06, 05:56 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

now that u mention it, it does look kind of grey slightly

Quick Reply: Spare tire kit