SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

side marker light replacements with led 04 sc430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 06:10 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shawn, thanks so much! I just finished the rear marker bulbs, GEES Lexus should be ashamed for this design! I read so many posts about removing rear bumper, or going in and removing everything in truck, non of that is correct! In the trunk, you cannot access the bulb, its impossible for what I saw once I did remove it all. You can see the vents or something that goes to the light, but cant get any access from in there. I ended up removing inner fender well with 2 small screws (you will need very stubby phillips or the tire gets in the way) and then another screw up under fender well. Then I was stuck, as I could not get into the light as the body of the car was there. Almost gave up and then decided to try and remove this clear clip and then I could pull bumper skin away from body partially. I actually thought the skin was going to break or I would break some clips, but it worked! I then was able to see that dang bulb, turned it and removed it, replaced with LED, and it all worked!
I decided to break, have a couple beers and go in for the fronts next!!!
Old 01-22-17, 11:52 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice going foreste1. Did you take before and after pictures?
Old 01-22-17, 01:49 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Thank you! Ok I did the front also. I took some pics, its sort of hard to see what I am trying to show but you do only need to take out 3 screws in inner fender liner (with tire turned opposite direction). Then you pull back liner and you can access the side markers lights and the headlight marker light. The bumper markers are super easy, they are right there behind liner, maybe took me 20 minutes a side. The headlight marker on drivers side was more difficult, but I was able to reach it and twist and turn and remove the whole handle and bulb, took me maybe 30 minutes. The passenger side was much easier to access the headlight marker bulb, and I did that side in about 20 minutes.
TIP, I found that the new bulb needs to go in a certain way into socket or it wont light up. Dont reinstall until you turn on lights and be sure its inserted correctly. The second tip is leave the light bulb on, and you can light up the inner fender well and easily find where the bulb goes back into its original location up in the headlight, it made a huge difference being able to see!
Last, you can easily get to your fog lights as well, they are right there behind inner fender well. I wish I had those bulbs, because I will need to do again to change them, but it will be easy now.
Here are the pics, sorry was tight quarters and had to use an oil filter box to keep fender well out of my way and my flashlight to see something. complete light bulb socket and handle that you turn it with to remove and install
plug your are looking for up inside inner fender
one side with led, one without
Amazing the difference with LED, these are 168 Philips 6000k.
Old 01-22-17, 02:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I like that. Looks good.
Old 01-22-17, 02:41 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Thanks, what is everybody using for the H3 driving light replacements to go to LED? Philips does not have one. I see all kinds of H3 led bulbs on amazon, but nothing with great reviews for distance of light.
Also I keep seeing H3 led kits, I just want to remove old H3 halogen bulb and put back in H3 LED.
Old 11-26-21, 04:53 PM
DPlainview
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foreste1
you do only need to take out 3 screws in inner fender liner (with tire turned opposite direction). Then you pull back liner and you can access the side markers lights and the headlight marker light. The bumper markers are super easy, they are right there behind liner, maybe took me 20 minutes a side. The headlight marker on drivers side was more difficult, but I was able to reach it and twist and turn and remove the whole handle and bulb, took me maybe 30 minutes. The passenger side was much easier to access the headlight marker bulb, and I did that side in about 20 minutes.
Thought I'd post my pics for front side marker replacement using the Foreste1 method. As indicated, I removed the three screws from the liner retainer on the upper part of the wheel well. You'll be wondering why you're removing them as they're pretty far from the side marker, but it becomes clear when you're pulling the liner away from the fender well. Once the three screws were out, I simply pulled the wheel liner close to the side marker light (and below where I had removed the screws) out and made a hole to stick my hand in there. I reached in, grabbed the socket, gave it a twist, and it came right out. I pulled it out of the wheel liner to replace it and once replaced, tested it and put it back together. I used Philips color temp 6000 so it significantly changed the color of the side marker. The pictures do not show the dramatic difference. The new light looks amber, and the old light looks orange. Both look good, matter of preference.
Thanks again Foreste1 for the great hints on this job. Got it done in about 15 minutes. My only extra hint.....if you don't want to remove the tire, good to have a right angle Philips for that third fender liner screw. It may be possible to only remove the first two screws. I'll try that when I get to doing the passenger side marker.

Here's a wide angle shot of the liner retainer on the outside top of the wheel well loosened. I removed three screws. Maybe you can get by with two.

Liner retainer on upper wheel well has three screws removed. Once removed, pull lower liner away from wheel well, reach in, give side marker socket a turn, and pull out.

although I removed three screws, I did not removed the third screw anchor.

replacement bulbs I used. $15 for the pair on Amazon.

I tested bulb before re-installing. Now you can't see it that well, but the difference between the new and old is dramatic because I used that bright white bulb. The lens now looks amber (upper pic) on the new bulb side and orange on the OEM side.

My only extra hint.....use a right angle screwdriver to avoid removing the wheel. It was pretty tight up there, even when using a stubby screwdriver. The right angle worked fine.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (11-27-21)