SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ending mods and trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 06:18 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Ending mods and trackdays

It has been a while since I have posted. Last year was my last on the track with the Silver Bullet - love the car but as my driving got better I learned that I was getting all I could out of her. As it has been posted many times, the SC430 was never designed as a performance or track car. I sure had a lot of fun with the mods and on the track. Got down to a 5.1 0-60 as timed on a drag strip and ran on 7 different road tracks. i ended last year with an unresolved CEL/VCS OFF situation that I need to work on - likely a hidden vacuum system leak given that the front O2 codes for both sides come on at the same time, but I write that up separately. I still love the silver bullet and am not planning to sell yet but several mods will come off and will be posted in the classified section.

Going to the 'Dark Side', last Oct I purchased a 2006 BMW 330i Sport manual 6 sp. The different strategy in engineering is huge. Seems like BMW is made to be constantly repaired especially issues that cause oil leaks - it's just expected you have thing to fix and it can be pricey. Of course a lot can be done DIY but with the SC430 I never had repairs to do other than the mods. On the other hand the handling and performance is outstanding! Only mods to far are to add a STB, new rotors and pads; ok couldn't resist changing to a CF grill and LED side markers :-) My first track session is this weekend - have to get used to using a clutch properly.

Looking forward to top down weather for cruising wi the SC !
Old 03-07-17, 08:18 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
It has been a while since I have posted. Last year was my last on the track with the Silver Bullet - love the car but as my driving got better I learned that I was getting all I could out of her. As it has been posted many times, the SC430 was never designed as a performance or track car. I sure had a lot of fun with the mods and on the track. Got down to a 5.1 0-60 as timed on a drag strip and ran on 7 different road tracks. i ended last year with an unresolved CEL/VCS OFF situation that I need to work on - likely a hidden vacuum system leak given that the front O2 codes for both sides come on at the same time, but I write that up separately. I still love the silver bullet and am not planning to sell yet but several mods will come off and will be posted in the classified section.

Going to the 'Dark Side', last Oct I purchased a 2006 BMW 330i Sport manual 6 sp. The different strategy in engineering is huge. Seems like BMW is made to be constantly repaired especially issues that cause oil leaks - it's just expected you have thing to fix and it can be pricey. Of course a lot can be done DIY but with the SC430 I never had repairs to do other than the mods. On the other hand the handling and performance is outstanding! Only mods to far are to add a STB, new rotors and pads; ok couldn't resist changing to a CF grill and LED side markers :-) My first track session is this weekend - have to get used to using a clutch properly.

Looking forward to top down weather for cruising wi the SC !
could be interested in the sway bars if it's coming off. And the shocks.

hate to lose the ride quality...