SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-21, 11:41 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhi
Batteries do not can not parasite themselves. And everyone, almost, is having the same problem with the same car but different batteries. I have a new $300 AGM yellow-top Optima battery and it dies out in a week. I also have a Prius with an older Optima and it never dies.
I tend to agree with Jim...Ever since I replace the new battery two years ago, cheap Interstate, and drive my SC more regularly, I had no problem, even sometimes the car sit for three weeks. I agree, the SC tend to kill the battery in 3-4 years. That is OK with me. The lesson learned is drive your SC more, folks. Enjoy it.
Old 06-12-21, 12:11 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Driving more is technically the same as an overnight charger. The question is does it drain excessively while sitting
compared to other cars. Maybe not, Maybe people with SCs just drive less. But I've experienced a dead new Optima
after just five days of sitting. I'd not be surprised if there were some component, such as the ML stereo, that's doing
something. I've put a meter on my car while parked and it went from a fully charged 12.6 volts down to 12.1 in four days.
On the other hand a parasitic loss test showed only 300 milliamps of drain, which is not good but also not so bad. Anything
over 100 milliamps is supposed to be a problem. I have nothing non-stock that's electrical, radar detector was unplugged,
ML stereo is stock. I had an old Audi A4 I left parked in the winter for 3 weeks and hiked through a snowstorm to get to
it in the middle of nowhere. Was late night and a blizzard when I finally got to it and it was covered in snow. Started right
up. Nobody for miles around. I'd have died if it had not. This was before cell phones.

Actually was a bit of an adventure. Was on an island in NH and stayed too late into the season. Left in December in a
small steel skiff with a 3 HP on it. My end of the lake was deeper so not frozen but the end of the lake where my car
was parked 3 miles away was shallow and frozen. No one still up on the lake. I cranked that 3 HP to break through the ice
but got stuck in the middle with one mile to go and it was now dark and snowing. I turned 90 degrees to head for the nearest
land while standing on the bow breaking the ice with an oar and paddling, barely making any progress. After a couple of
hours made it to land and left the boat in the pitch dark. No flashlight. Water was down on the lake so I literally had to
stumble and feel my way around the shoreline to the landing where my car was parked. That took another two hours and
I was truly frozen. Had the car not started, I'd not be here to tell the tale.

Last edited by buddhi; 06-17-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-12-21, 12:14 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes, the batteries do die early but its not the cars fault. Its the batterys fault and the publics fault for demanding all the bells and whistles. If you want the battery to last longer, get a better battery OR get a 1949 Ford without all the bells and whistles. Your choice.

Also, with electronics that are 10 years old, the electrolytic capicitors age till they leak so your cure might be to replace all your electrolytics. NOT EASY, but not the cars fault.
Old 06-12-21, 12:19 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Well I got just about the best battery made. Didn't help. The SC is famous for parasitic drain, other cars are not.
A '49 Ford has a 6-volt system - not what you want. Had one once and it started fine with the choke when cold
but would never start when warmed up. You had to let it sit for a while.
Old 06-12-21, 12:33 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

As I said, my Rolls Royce, Lincoln Town Car and the Sky Roadster all have the problem. Other cars that are over 10 years old DO have the problem. Ever since we demanded all those electronics its been a problem. Either better batteries like the LiFePo or better capacitors. And I am sure Lexus doesnt have any control over capacitor development and if the battery cost $350 + the customers would *****. LiFePo are the batteries we need and Optima is STILL a lead acid battery Not good.
Old 06-12-21, 12:40 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

I probably should have bought the LiFePo. The $400 - $500 or so may be worth it for an SC.
Old 06-12-21, 12:50 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Oh. BTW. lead acid batteries DO PARASITE themselves. LiFePo not so much. That is why they are better.

And once again, you are blaming the SC. Its NOT THE CARS FAULT!!
Old 06-12-21, 12:54 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Technically, but 3% a month is not much. Should go 9 months without dying.
Unless you put it direct on a concrete floor, then it drains fast.
Old 06-12-21, 12:58 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Do you have any idea why the concrete floor drains a battery? I have been hearing that for years, but no one ever explains how that works. I am a physicist and Electronics Engineer and I dont see how, but everyone says it does. I would like to have it explained to me.
Old 06-12-21, 01:43 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

I wish I knew. Got told that while working in a warehouse, during high school
four decades ago. They said to put it up on 2 x 4s.

But that may have been a myth even back then, based on the older battery
cases from the 60's. Modern plastic batteries should not discharge.
Old 06-12-21, 01:48 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Batteries do not can not parasite themselves. And everyone, almost, is having the same problem with the same car but different batteries. I have a new $300 AGM yellow-top Optima battery and it dies out in a week. I also have a Prius with an older Optima and it never dies.
As discussed in another thread, as our older car's ECU's age, the capacitors start leaking voltage and increase the parasitic drain. I run Optima batteries in my five vehicles, and they generally do well, even in my 2008 SC430. I can get by without starting it for about two weeks, before needing to charge the battery. When the battery gets old and tired, I can only go two days! I'm afraid this will get worse as the vehicle continues to age.
The following users liked this post:
Caflashbob (06-12-21)
Old 06-12-21, 03:14 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

I wish I knew. Got told that while working in a warehouse, during high school
four decades ago. They said to put it up on 2 x 4s.

But that may have been a myth even back then, based on the older battery
cases from the 60's. Modern plastic batteries should not discharge.
Yes. I have heard that for years as well but always thought it was a myth. But I am not willing to test it because I just dont know. I think it may have to do with the fact that if it is sitting on ANY floor, it is not in a charging situation and people tend to forget when it was that they put it on the floor. The result is that it discharges normally....for longer than they thought......
The cases should not make a difference as the old ones were petroleum based tar and didnt conduct electricity any more than the new plastic cases. If they did, they wouldnt stay charged ANYWAY because the case connects the positive and negative poles together.
But if someone could explain it to me, I would love to hear the science behind it.
Old 06-12-21, 03:27 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimisbell
But if someone could explain it to me, I would love to hear the science behind it.
Maybe the advice came from colder climates where the concrete might be substantially colder than wood? Too, if the case and floor had high moisture content, due to high humidity, it could possibly result in drain.
Old 06-12-21, 03:50 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Maybe the advice came from colder climates where the concrete might be substantially colder than wood? Too, if the case and floor had high moisture content, due to high humidity, it could possibly result in drain.
What would be the current path?
Old 06-12-21, 04:04 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

From terminal to terminal, via the moisture/dust on the case. The case moisture would increase in a moist environment, as in having it sitting on cement has a high moisture content.

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain?