SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 08:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Plus one GmanSC! The battery was not sized correctly hence the connection issue. A battery tender ($40 investment) will be a value add expense. Keeps the battery topped off the right way.
Old 12-14-20, 11:54 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Batteries, like timing belts, are best replaced before they fail.
Old 01-20-21, 04:39 PM
NOsburn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I don't know as much about batteries as you do. It is just odd that there is a pattern in the SC that you don't see in other cars. Granted some people have no problems, but it seems like an unusually high proportion do.

Having said that (and now ready for a replacement battery yet again), I am interested in the Optima you recommend. According to a search of the CL forum, it is the 94R with the 770 CCA that fits. Does anyone know if that is correct? Also, a Google search for Optima 94R isn't showing any results -- odd.
SC430s eat batteries for breakfast! When we get home this Spring U am going to find out the drains. Go to the dealer and they sell you a trickle charger!
Old 01-20-21, 09:09 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

AGM and a battery tender were necessary as we garage it covered up for weeks at times.
Old 01-20-21, 11:56 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

All my cars always get attached to CTEK MulitUS 7002 battery tenders upon arrival home. Keeps the battery in tip top shape for near zero effort, if you arrange for the connection to be quick and convenient.
Even if I accidentally leave a door ajar over a weekend, the battery isn't ruined.

Don't even have to open hood to make connection. Just pop open rubber cap and plug in tender.

Easy wiring hookup. Just be sure to have an inline fuse near battery positive for safety.
This scheme has worked well despite Seatle's copious rain.

Old 01-21-21, 10:25 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

That’s where my battery tender plugs in also. Mine is on the passenger side
The following users liked this post:
Seattle SCone (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 11:02 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Old 02-03-21, 02:14 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Thanks Double-D for the Project Farm test video--good stuff!

My SC battery is on its last legs. I have these on my short list: Optima Yellow Top DH6--$300; Odyssey 48-720--$245; Interstate MT7--$260; Diehard Gold AGM EP48--$200.

These are all AGM products. Anybody using any of these and have any recommendations? Others to consider? Thanks in advance!

I'm getting out of an Interstate non-AGM that lasted five years--not bad!
Old 02-03-21, 02:23 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

So I bought one of these from Pep Boys and am happy. I rarely shop at Pep Boys, but they had a 25% off coupon.
https://pepboys.com/champion-agm-bat...roduct/2071686

So for the price of a "Regular" battery I got a AGM with a 4 year free replacement warranty.
https://www.pepboys.com/sale-specials/coupons

The following 2 users liked this post by DshngDaryl:
Bgw70 (02-04-21), buddhi (04-02-21)
Old 04-01-21, 11:42 AM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Any solution to this dead battery problem?

I just bought one of these SC430s (2003) with my last dollar, and put the plate on it this morning and was ready to get the headlights restored so I'd not be embarrassed driving it around -
and it-would-not-start. A look at the service history (from LexusDrivers) noted five battery changes in 150K miles.

So here I am, reading all these posts and wondering why no class action suit. Lexus is the flagship manufacturer and the SC (or maybe the Prius) is the flagship model so this thread
should not exist. My googling on this real problem finds no real solution. Something's fundamentally wrong with the design if you have to turn the auto lights off and the alarm off and
put it on a charger. That's just not right. Has anyone found a Real solution where you can keep the auto lights and alarm on? I read some speculation that the ML amp is the culprit,
but no confirmation. Have also been reading the ML amp goes out (but a Syracuse firm will fix it for $300). And that the SC suspension is no good at all. My suspension crashes hard
on everything, so I need to replace that (any suggestions? - am thinking Megan). My ML works find but does not sound particularly good or special even if you prefer it non-bass heavy.

At least the top still works. And it looks very good parked in the garage. But am wondering if the SC is a money pit.

Last edited by buddhi; 04-01-21 at 11:55 AM. Reason: pic
Old 04-01-21, 11:58 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

The SC is the most reliable car as you can get compare to it’s counter part Europeans.
I bought my car in Oct 2015, so far, I have spent zero dollar in repair, just over one grant for all other wear and tear items that included new Interstate battery, and TB and WP replacement. That’s average 200 bucks per year. Can’t beat that.
On the battery drainage issue, you will have problem if you let your SC sits without the battery tender. If you drive it daily, you should not have any issue. The battery will last 3-5 years, just like any others. I used to have the battery drainage problem but not any more since I drive it daily, 15 miles a day.

Last edited by GmanSC; 04-01-21 at 12:10 PM.
buddhi (04-02-21)
Old 04-01-21, 12:12 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Default Turning off alarm question.

Thanks for the instant reply. Yes, I bought it thinking it would be trouble free, maybe almost like my Prius, but the battery drain, the ML amp weakness, and the suspension
should not be a concern with a Lexus, or a Toyota. I've noticed the top is extremely complex with, like, eight motors, and complexity means $$$. I also noticed the rear
headrest leather shrinks and recedes as it has hardly any overlap to tuck in - an obvious bad design - it is barely glued in and stapled a bit. I ordered replacements
from ebay. There's also the camber and tire wear issue. But the 4.3 Liter is supposed to be good, and the transmission, so all else is peripheral.

The suggestion to turn off the alarm - how is that done? My searching found something about getting behind the dash and pulling out wires, or taking it to the dealer.
But when people suggested "turning it off," it sounded simpler like pushing a button.

I see you have a black one. Have you noticed the design is not so much superyacht but very obviously Batmobile? For that reason I prefer the old-style headlights,
which look rather arachnid.

Last edited by buddhi; 04-01-21 at 12:18 PM. Reason: pic
Old 04-01-21, 01:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhi
...wondering if the SC is a money pit.
I've had my 2008 for five years and have only replaced the battery when I first got it, and once again recently. Five years is typical for a battery's life, as Gman said. I plan to monitor the voltage better on my new battery, an Optima Yellow Top, and see if I can't extend its life further. Driving it regularly is key.

Other than the battery, I replaced the 18" run-flats on g-spider wheels with 17" Michelin AS3's on Enkei RPF1 lightweight racing wheels. This took care of the harsh ride you noted, and also improved handling, braking and acceleration!

I have spent a good amount of money on maintenance as I only use premium fluids and parts, and buy OEM from Lexus dealers. Look out for counterfeit parts bought elsewhere.

No buyer's remorse is necessary as these are fine automobiles. Once you learn how to care and feed the SC430, you will fall in love with it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson2000:
buddhi (04-02-21), ivanj (05-08-21)
Old 04-01-21, 01:22 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Now, that's what I like to read!!

My thought is whatever I have to spend, it's not wasted and will not be repeated as with the German cars.
Old 04-01-21, 04:02 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhi
Thanks for the instant reply. Yes, I bought it thinking it would be trouble free, maybe almost like my Prius, but the battery drain, the ML amp weakness, and the suspension
should not be a concern with a Lexus, or a Toyota. I've noticed the top is extremely complex with, like, eight motors, and complexity means $$$. I also noticed the rear
headrest leather shrinks and recedes as it has hardly any overlap to tuck in - an obvious bad design - it is barely glued in and stapled a bit. I ordered replacements
from ebay. There's also the camber and tire wear issue. But the 4.3 Liter is supposed to be good, and the transmission, so all else is peripheral.

The suggestion to turn off the alarm - how is that done? My searching found something about getting behind the dash and pulling out wires, or taking it to the dealer.
But when people suggested "turning it off," it sounded simpler like pushing a button.

I see you have a black one. Have you noticed the design is not so much superyacht but very obviously Batmobile? For that reason I prefer the old-style headlights,
which look rather arachnid.

The SC is a luxurious automobile, so owning it is different than owning the Prius or the Corolla (I’ve owned both). You should expect its replacement parts and maintenance cost are more expensive, but it’s not ridiculous like the MB or the Beemer. When I first joined CL, like you, my biggest concern and fear is also the top failure. But after been here for five years, I only seen few top failures, all of which are easy fixed with minimum cost, my confident in the reliability of the SC has grown considerably. I’m glad that Lexus has done the cosmetic changes in the headlights and taillights for the 06+, to me, made the SC look more appealable.
buddhi (04-02-21)

Quick Reply: SC430 Battery Drain?