SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP! Replaced STRUTS-Headlight Leveling System Light On!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 05:29 PM
cklockwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Replaced STRUTS-Headlight Leveling System Light On!

Hi Everyone!

I have an issue I wanted to run throuhg you guys. I had a mechanic who does alot of suspension replace my front struts and strut mounts on my 2002 SC430. When I got it back and started driving it...this light came on, I believe it is the Headlight Leveling System light.

I am concerned it is due to perhaps him not lining up things correctly? I tried to do a search and got some info...but not sure what he may have done wrong or what he CAN do to fix this issue! Does anyone have any adivce they can provide so I can go to my mechanic and let him know if there was something he didnt do right?!

Thanks!!
Old 03-25-17, 06:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

He might have disconnected the little control mechanism that attaches to the suspension there.
Old 03-25-17, 10:50 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...I agree with Harold on this, there is a small shaft that pivots & it has to be attached, there is one in the front & rear....if I remember correctly. I would do the search also, I do remember that ShawnOK had this issue (or one similar) & he was able to figure it out,with the help of a mechanic friend
Old 03-26-17, 10:50 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cklockwo
Hi Everyone!

I have an issue I wanted to run throuhg you guys. I had a mechanic who does alot of suspension replace my front struts and strut mounts on my 2002 SC430. When I got it back and started driving it...this light came on, I believe it is the Headlight Leveling System light.

I am concerned it is due to perhaps him not lining up things correctly? I tried to do a search and got some info...but not sure what he may have done wrong or what he CAN do to fix this issue! Does anyone have any adivce they can provide so I can go to my mechanic and let him know if there was something he didnt do right?!

Thanks!!
I posted this quite sometime ago and it may apply to your situation. The "AFS OFF" light will come on for the Adaptive Front Lighting system for '06 and later models or will come on for the Headlight Automatically Leveling System".

"Funny, I had the battery replaced on my wife's SC the other day and the exact same thing happened after replacement of the battery, the AFS OFF light illuminated on the dash. I struggled to figure out how it became illuminated and even searched for codes. Exactly like you've said, the AFS OFF button is located near the hood release and also located near the OBD2 scanner input. The person from Triple A who replaced the battery inadvertently hit the AFS OFF button, glad it's resolved."

I'm guessing your mechanic accidentally pushed the AFS OFF button when he released trunk or hood, it's easy to do. The AFS OFF button is located just to the left of the hood release latch.
Old 03-26-17, 08:09 PM
Thaidoan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or he might have broke the leveling sensor in the front driver and/or rear leveling sensor.

My mechanical broke my front sensor after he installed my coilover because it was too low
Old 03-27-17, 06:10 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaidoan
Or he might have broke the leveling sensor in the front driver and/or rear leveling sensor.

My mechanical broke my front sensor after he installed my coilover because it was too low
Agreed. I was simply listing the most simple and least expensive potential solution before taking it to the next step of a more complex and expensive solution. It will take a few seconds to find out if the mechanic accidentally pushed the VSF OFF button when trying to release the hood.