SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 04:08 AM
Hookedongo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Looking for an SC430 - need Color info

I am ready to purchase a used (hopefully 2006 up) white or maybe red Lexus SC430. I am having a problem with the color chart as to the lightest interior colors. I am looking at a white SC (2005) on line, which I really do not want because of the year, but it states the interior is Ecru, but the color chart is nothing close to that, yet the pictures make it look very close to a very light beige. ??? What is the official color of the lightest 2006-2007 interior color? I also really liked the Starfire White on the ISC, which exterior color is closest to that color for the SC? As for the exterior, I want it to look like it was waxed yesterday and I am thinking the Pearl White is a rather full pearl like finish which I do not really prefer. Is that correct? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for quite a while, and I am not a very patient person. Hope one shows up soon with 40-60K miles soon.
Old 07-12-17, 11:19 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Congrats Richard. Beautiful color.
Old 07-13-17, 01:31 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hookedongo
I am ready to purchase a used (hopefully 2006 up) white or maybe red Lexus SC430. I am having a problem with the color chart as to the lightest interior colors. I am looking at a white SC (2005) on line, which I really do not want because of the year, but it states the interior is Ecru, but the color chart is nothing close to that, yet the pictures make it look very close to a very light beige. ??? What is the official color of the lightest 2006-2007 interior color? I also really liked the Starfire White on the ISC, which exterior color is closest to that color for the SC? As for the exterior, I want it to look like it was waxed yesterday and I am thinking the Pearl White is a rather full pearl like finish which I do not really prefer. Is that correct? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for quite a while, and I am not a very patient person. Hope one shows up soon with 40-60K miles soon.
can't say what the actual colors are by year; the ecru is definitely the lightest and shows wear and dirt very, very easily so maintenance is a must. to see different color interiors, do an online search for all areas of the year you like such as 2006 through 2010 and you're likely to see the different colors available even if not close to you. the later years had a darker color than ecru but it was still lighter than the one they call saddle; just do a broad nation wide search for all colors and see what you like. good luck.
Old 07-13-17, 02:58 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JDaveSC430
can't say what the actual colors are by year; the ecru is definitely the lightest and shows wear and dirt very, very easily so maintenance is a must. to see different color interiors, do an online search for all areas of the year you like such as 2006 through 2010 and you're likely to see the different colors available even if not close to you. the later years had a darker color than ecru but it was still lighter than the one they call saddle; just do a broad nation wide search for all colors and see what you like. good luck.
The Saddle in 06 to 10 is more of just a tan. Rather than the redish brown from the previous years. I do like it better.
Old 07-13-17, 03:33 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Hookedongo
ecru, saddle, red, and black were the interior colors available in 05. This is what ecru looks like. I know the color charts online make it look a lot darker.
Old 07-18-17, 06:00 PM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying an SC

In looking at these for over a year before finally buying, I noticed a lot of them will have a small trunk leak. Many times this does not cause a problem-but their are some electronics in the trunk, I.e. Nav system, fuse box and CD components. If the car was outside during a good rain, run your hand over the carpet, especially in the four corners, and retract nad pull out the luggage cover. Sometimes there will be water on it. This can all be fixed but it is good to know upfront.
The following users liked this post:
RichardMor (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 09:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tarheel49
In looking at these for over a year before finally buying, I noticed a lot of them will have a small trunk leak. Many times this does not cause a problem-but their are some electronics in the trunk, I.e. Nav system, fuse box and CD components. If the car was outside during a good rain, run your hand over the carpet, especially in the four corners, and retract nad pull out the luggage cover. Sometimes there will be water on it. This can all be fixed but it is good to know upfront.
....yes & there are a few threads about the possible culprits & different ways to address them
Old 07-19-17, 01:05 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardMor
I think my purchase was unique and others might benefit from it: I looked for 2-3 months in the Seattle area and found little within our price range (started at $10k, but incrementally went up to $13K). So we widened our search to eventually encompass everything west of Texas and south to San Diego. Found many but most seemed priced by the same person! On the several that I inquired about, all had already been sold or pending (they don't seem to hang around long if they're priced well). I found an 04 with 64K in San Diego but it had some body damage. Negotiated, buy could not get them below $13.5. Was going to pull the trigger on that one, but while waiting for their reply, saw an 06 in Matador Red Mica (cranberry) with tan interior and 113K posted on the local CL. Owner wanted $17K. My wife loved the color combo, so I texted the guy but was upfront, telling him our budget was no more than $13K. He came back right away and said the local Lexus dealer had offered $13.5 sight unseen. I wished him well, but we did text a few more times. Next day he advises his wife had told him he should just accept our offer - someone who really wanted the car would be getting it and they would not have to both driving 50+ miles R/T to the Lexus dealer. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, we scooted our butts over there and bought the car. One would think the car has less than 20K with the condition of the paint and leather. Had it inspected and NO DEFECTS were found. Feel very, very lucky. Moral of the story is: don't be afraid to reach out to someone. You never know their situation and, if you play your role right, a great deal might be yours. We are hooked!

BTW, is there a spec sheet with proper names for the interior colors?
Congrats and its beautiful.

I am looking for one as well, similar to you. I was hoping to get the red/blue exterior, but it seems the the interior color is now more important to the family. The dark brown (don't know the official color)- may be saddle is what I am looking for.
Old 07-19-17, 08:51 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I highly recommend the "saddle" interior. Not only does it still look relevant and good (in 2017), but it does not show dirt the way the Ercu (or off white) interior does. I've treated our seats twice so far with leather conditioner in hopes of prolonging the leather's life and keeping it supple. I know it's subjective, but IMHO, it looks good with almost any exterior color.

Good luck in your search. You will LOVE the car!
Old 07-19-17, 11:15 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Thank you Richard

saddle le is a must

now I have to see what exterior colors are limited to due to saddle interior

Originally Posted by RichardMor
I highly recommend the "saddle" interior. Not only does it still look relevant and good (in 2017), but it does not show dirt the way the Ercu (or off white) interior does. I've treated our seats twice so far with leather conditioner in hopes of prolonging the leather's life and keeping it supple. I know it's subjective, but IMHO, it looks good with almost any exterior color.

Good luck in your search. You will LOVE the car!
Old 07-21-17, 04:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

So I found two SC430s and both white with saddle interior,
2003, 70k miles, asking $16k
2008, 109k miles, asking $17k

first car, lady owned original owner

second car, two owner who purchased certified from a Lexus dealer three years ago.

both cars have the timing belts/water pumps changed.

thoughts?
Old 07-21-17, 04:08 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

On paper the 2008 sounds better. Five year is a lot of wear on the car but 39k miles on a Lexus is not. But you really have to test drive them to compare.
Old 07-21-17, 05:35 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Both are good options, I will probably move up to an '06 or newer soon as I am used to shifting the gears manually only GS400. Purely personal preference though
Old 07-21-17, 06:26 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a very similar decision to make. My rational for choosing the later model was: (1) updated 6 speed transmission, (2) updated gauges, (3) bluetooth and newer Navigation system, (4) LED rear lights, (5) upgraded HID headlights, (6) newer style stitching on the interior leather, (7) color combos (8) I like the later model wheels better. If the 2008 was certified by Lexus 3 years ago, I'd feel even better about it (as was ours). Of course, this is all dependent on condition. If the two are pretty equal, I'd recommend going for the 2008.

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 07-21-17, 07:29 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not an easy choice, pros & cons with both cars. The easy thing is that they both have the same inside & outside colors. The 2003 sounds good, 70k which equates to 5k per year, very low miles & it's a 1 owner car.
The 2008 sounds good as well, 109k which equates to 12k per year, more than twice the miles plus it's a 2 owner car. BUT, it's 5 years younger. As far as the extras go, they only mean anything if you would use them.
Are they both located in the same area? The 2008 has only been owned by the second owners for 3 years, why? If you're in the position drive both cars, check for services & repairs, any accidents, top working well & most of all the character & the area of the people selling.
Without looking at the cars, If it was me, the 1 owner low Ks.

Chris......From OZ.

Quick Reply: Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?