SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Two SC430s For Sale - Need Help Choosing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 07:22 PM
RedZaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two SC430s For Sale - Need Help Choosing

Hello, I am a new member and I am about to purchase my first Lexus SC430....but I need some help please.

Have found two identical 2006 cars that I need to decide between.

Car A has 100K miles ($16K) - and is 2500+ miles away (so figure $1300 to ship).
Car A is from a 4 seasons environment.

Car B 37K miles ($26.5K) - and is local. (I have driven and it is showroom condition).
Car B is from CA.

Both had 2 previous owners.
Both have been religiously serviced by Lexus dealerships since day one.
Both have Clean Carfax Reports.
Would do a PPI on either car of course.

My question is this : aside from likely minor cosmetic differences (Car B likely having better ext/int condition given extreme low mileage) - should I feel confident and secure buying a car with 100K miles on it knowing I will put 150K miles on it myself over the next 10-15 years? Does the 60K mileage difference translate to a more reliable car that would potentially give fewer problems? (Obviously part of the value in paying a higher price for Car B with lower mileage is the near perfect aesthetic condition). Not concerned so much about resale value as I will likely gift the car down the road to a friend/family member - more concerned about maintenance & reliability perspective at the earlier stages of owning the car.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Cash in hand and prepared to pull the trigger this week.

Thank you - I have found all of you to be very inspiring and informative over the last few weeks and I look forward to becoming an active part of this community.
Old 04-16-17, 08:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

.....I think I would go with car B.......I wouldn't be concerned about the 100k on car A, over a period of time. There are many members here that have 100k+ on their vehicles & haven't had any major issues, including myself with 235K on mine. Now the reason I would take vehicle B, if the prices for both are firm.....Car A is going to cost you about $ 17300-18000 total with shipping, if the vehicle hasn't had the timing belt/water pump done, then add $750-$1500....depending on who does the work & this is something that should be done almost immediately, to be safe. Car A is now in the neighborhood of $19,000, then add other routine 100k maintenance to the vehicle, you could be looking at another $1500.....now you're possibly somewhere around $ 21,000, just something to keep in mind, if these services haven't been done.There are other things also, tire wear, suspension, motor mounts, etc....that could be worn & need replacing.Car B you have seen in person, there are no visual surprises, you've driven it & have given it your personal approval. It has less wear/tear & will hopefully need nothing but basic maintenance......now I'm no expert, but those are some things that I would keep in mind & hopefully others will chime in & give their opinions.....either way, good luck with the purchase & post pics when you get it
The following users liked this post:
RedZaw (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 08:33 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally would go with the CA car. Like you said 2 season car like here in South Australia unlike a 4 season. You have seen it, low miles & you like what you see. If you have cash in hand I would start with $ 22k & take it from there.

Chris.....From OZ.
RedZaw (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 09:00 PM
RedZaw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the fast reply Gents.
I have a deposit on the CALI car - Car B since yesterday and am arranging a PPi tomorrow.
Just trying to be a responsible consumer this time around.
As a Manchild with no kids of his own I have a tendency to just buy whatever pulls the heart strings - as my garage of motorcycles has demonstrated.
I am still very open to other opinions out there and would appreciate anyone's two cents who has a 100k+ mile car.

To add a detail, the Timing Belt and Water Pump were recently replaced.....and frankly, the shipping cost doesn't factor in a whole lot because I would use it as an excuse to do a cross country trip I think - and a buddy can get me a buddy pass on an airline. (though all those listed expenses are great numbers to keep in mind regardless.)

TexSexLex - a sincere thanks for taking the time to run the numbers and illustrate your point of view so clearly - big help.
And Lesly1 - two seasons make a difference don't they? And don't you gents worry - many pictures to come, it's what I do for a living.
Old 04-16-17, 10:48 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine has 160,000 Kilometers which equates to 100,000 Miles. It's a 2001,Purrs like a Kitten, & drives like new, & everything works except for one of the headlight squirters.

Chris......From OZ.
RedZaw (04-17-17)
Old 04-16-17, 11:07 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Welcome to the CL. You've made the right choice and got the good price. I've paid $28 k for mine, 07 with 58k mile in Oct,2015, and very happy with it. Enjoy the car and the SC forum. The folks here are great.
RedZaw (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 06:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Great choice for the CA car, more money but well worth it! Enjoy your SC! Let the mods begin!
RedZaw (04-17-17)
Old 04-17-17, 05:50 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Either car would be great! I recently purchased a 2002 SC430 with 104,000 miles. It's in great condition, mostly dealer serviced at the Lexus dealer or by a certified Lexus shop. It has a recent timing belt change as well.

I'm not worried in the least about reliability because I own a 1999 Lexus GS400 (practically the same motor as the SC430) with 225,000 miles. I have complete service records for the last 17 years. To say this car is reliable would be an understatement. In the first 5 years the only thing that went wrong with my vehicle was the battery. I did my first timing belt change at 120,000 miles, the second at 220,000 miles. I changed my spark plugs for the first time this year at 224,318 miles. Not because of any problems (my indy and dealer pulled them occasionally and said they were fine) but just due to age - and peace of mind.

So enjoy your purchase, and post pics when you have it!
RedZaw (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 11:25 AM
RedZaw
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your opinions and insight. Have the PPI happening tomorrow on the CA car with 37K miles - and assuming all goes well I will start flooding you with pics and travel adventures.

Just mapped out a month long trip for August of the West.
LA/Tucson/Sedona/Grand Canyon/Arches/Parks City/Jackson Hole/Northern Montana/Spokane/Seattle/Portland/Oregon Coast/Yosemite/Death Valley/Joshua Tree/LA.

Will be photographing a coffee table book....more to come.
Old 04-18-17, 01:14 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You will be happy with your investment!
Old 04-18-17, 10:27 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZaw
Thanks for the fast reply Gents.
I have a deposit on the CALI car - Car B since yesterday and am arranging a PPi tomorrow.
Just trying to be a responsible consumer this time around.
As a Manchild with no kids of his own I have a tendency to just buy whatever pulls the heart strings - as my garage of motorcycles has demonstrated.
I am still very open to other opinions out there and would appreciate anyone's two cents who has a 100k+ mile car.

To add a detail, the Timing Belt and Water Pump were recently replaced.....and frankly, the shipping cost doesn't factor in a whole lot because I would use it as an excuse to do a cross country trip I think - and a buddy can get me a buddy pass on an airline. (though all those listed expenses are great numbers to keep in mind regardless.)

TexSexLex - a sincere thanks for taking the time to run the numbers and illustrate your point of view so clearly - big help.
And Lesly1 - two seasons make a difference don't they? And don't you gents worry - many pictures to come, it's what I do for a living.
...here is mine with 235,000........I've replace a radiator, alternator & a/c compressor, everything else has been regular maintenance
Old 04-20-17, 06:08 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Congratulations on your new acquisition (assuming that you went through with it) and welcome to the forum RedZaw. Have a great trip.
Old 04-22-17, 06:32 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Not reccomending Death Valley in August. When I was a kid remember looking at the thermometer and it was 127

coast route but the bridge out in ca makes the drive from Bay Area north
Old 04-22-17, 07:20 PM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

In general, I'd say go w/ the lower mileage. Just less wear & tear. I'd absolutely have your mechanic look at it (have him drive it and put it up on a hoist, run codes, etc). There's just too many unknowns w/ used cars; the one that's closer to you, if you can drive it and take it to your mechanic for a thorough inspection, you're going to be glad you did. Eyes wide open.

I did just that earlier this month, and am the now the new purchaser of an 09 PB Edition, also in CA. Had 21K miles. The "car B" I was lusting after was in FL (I'm also in CA) but was a 2010 w/ just 5K miles and the color combo I loved. My mechanic consented to having me fly him out to chk on the car. But, that car was $10K more than the 09, the 09 still had low mileage, and when you add paying for transport, food and lodging of the mechanic plus shipping out the car, I decided to test drive the 09 & ultimately went for it. Plus it was proving to be more daunting finding a shop that would let another mechanic in the bay and run an inspection. I really trust my mechanic of 16 years; I didn't feel it wise to trust a stranger, AAA approved or not. It all comes down to if you know and trust the person inspecting the car.

I drove the 09 to my mechanic & he did a thorough run through. Found a dented axle which the dealer neglected to inform me about. I negotiated the price down to include getting a new axle. Also found out it was the orig battery and a few other things that I included in negotiations.

I am so happy. It is an exceptionally clean car and I have loved these cars forever. I take care of things & plan to keep it forever. It's such a timeless car! You will love it. If you are in So CA and need a good mechanic referral, I have an excellent, ethical and knowledgeable person. Good luck!!