SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Amazon will change your timing belt for $699

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 04:14 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I showed your post to my local dealer here in Rochester, he could not stop laughing. If this was a true price for installation he would have to close up his shop immediately. Don't know if he was just being dramatic.
if you look at post #6. It looks like it's a mobile repair service, Low overhead . I would think its luck of the draw, if you get someone good or bad. Not sure about this service. I guess I don't really have to worry about it. I live way to far in the middle of nothing Kansas to get this service.
Old 06-03-17, 06:16 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I showed your post to my local dealer here in Rochester, he could not stop laughing. If this was a true price for installation he would have to close up his shop immediately. Don't know if he was just being dramatic.
I have no idea how real or not real this service is until a member of this forum or someone you know uses this service. With that said, many retailers in malls all across the U.S. laughed at Amazon years ago, but they are not laughing now and many are closing shops and stores in droves, destroying malls as we knew them. Amazon is currently a very strong company and anything they set out to do should not be taken lightly, because whatever they choose to do, they usually do it very well and at an extremely competitive price.

Lastly, with Silicon Valley and/or high tech companies entering the automotive industry that has moved like a dinosaur until the last recession or so, a paradigm shift in the industry could be on it's way soon and maybe, just maybe, Amazon is anticipating this change.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-04-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 08:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Interesting...I don't see an Amazon Home Services option. Guess it's not in my market yet (Raleigh, NC)...
I checked it out also, out of curiosity. I didn't see the option either and then I noticed that it said that "this item doesn't ship to your selected location". I live in the Dallas area, so I suspect that it means that the service isn't available here yet.
Old 06-04-17, 07:14 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

This is not my zip code, but it appears that Amazon is getting into the car repair business big time. They refer to the repair people as “pros” or say “in store”. The hand-picked pros are backed up by their “happiness guarantee”. I don’t think this will take long to catch on, especially at the prices offered. And yes, if I was a repair shop I would be at least concerned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A%218098158011%2Cn%3A%218098159011%2Cn%3A10192820011%2Cn%3A10192821011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496584968 https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A%218098158011%2Cn%3A%218098159011%2Cn%3A10192820011%2Cn%3A10192821011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496584968

"Automotive Services from Amazon.com

Next to your home, your car is probably the possession you need and rely on most. Keeping your car running and in top condition, however, can be tough, mostly because it can be hard to find the automotive services you need or estimate the costs for your budget. And that’s where Amazon Home Services can help: Check out top automotive pros, their services, and the price estimate, all in one location.

If you’re looking for to cover some critical basics, you’re in luck. Amazon Home Services has options like Tire Installation, Wiper Blade Installation, Brake Pad Replacement, Car Wheel Alignment, Tire Rotation, Car Battery Installation, and even an Oil Change service. If you’re looking to add a little sizzle and sparkle to your car, you’re also in luck! Amazon Home Services has services like Car Remote Starter Installation, Car Stereo Installation, Car Alarm Installation, Car Coaxial Speaker Install, Car Amplifier and Subwoofer Installation, and Car DVD Player Installation, which actually may be a critical basic if you have kids.

Speaking of children, we also offer an Auto Detailing service, perfect for removal of all toast O’s and milk. If your neighborhood is crowded with families, you may want to look into our Vehicle Backup System Installation service, in the hope of preserving the toys that seem to find their way into your driveway. Whatever your automotive wants or needs, take a quick look at Amazon Home Services, because you’ll likely find a service pro and offer to suit your situation."

At the end of the day they have very low overhead using this process to repair cars, plus it allows the owner to chose what brand of part he or she wants included in the repair.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-04-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-04-17, 10:49 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....looking @ the link that sixonemale posted, more than half of those services are available in my zip code (75149)
Old 06-04-17, 11:00 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow that is crazy if it's true that a reputable shop can install it for $120.

I would not bring my car to some random no-name hack-shop for any amount of money. How do you know who is doing the work?
Old 06-04-17, 11:44 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Wow that is crazy if it's true that a reputable shop can install it for $120.

I would not bring my car to some random no-name hack-shop for any amount of money. How do you know who is doing the work?
I'm learning by the day, apparently both mechanics and shops are involved and both are reviewed, kind of like EBay, by verified customers. Therefore, if a mechanic or shop does not do good work, Amazon will probably drop them. All of the reviews I have read are very good. Below is some general information directly from Amazon:

"Handpicked Pros

We do the homework so you
don't have to.

We only invite pros who have a strong track record of service quality.

We require comprehensive business background checks and each pro traveling to your location to pass a 6-point criminal background check.

All pros are required to maintain any necessary insurance and trade licenses.We run a comprehensive check on each business and take into consideration the following:

· State and local business registration

· Liens

· Judgments

· Bankruptcy status

· National governmental restricted or prohibited dealings lists, including the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List

Every technician that services Amazon customers in their homes must pass a criminal background check before entering the program, that includes:

· Social security number trace

· County and federal court searches

· National criminal search

· Sex offender registry search

· Office of Foreign Asset Control's (OFAC) check

Upfront Prices

Pros compete for your business
based on price, quality, and availability.

Get free price estimates from pros, and book the one that’s right for you.

Pros are required to offer the same price on Amazon as they do if you called them directly.

After the service is complete, Amazon will charge the card you have on file.

Happiness Guarantee

We don’t just introduce you to pros, we
are with you every step of the way.

Pros must meet ongoing performance targets including responsiveness, quality, and ratings.

All Amazon service reviews are from verified purchases, so you know you’re hearing from real customers.

We stand behind every service. If a customer is not satisfied, we’ll make it right or give a refund."

I think this is going grow very fast and Amazon does not need advertise, just sell parts and the installation service is shown. Below are some reviews:

Amazon Amazon

With everything said, I still may want a reputable shop and/or dealership to handle the more complex repairs from a liability perspective.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-04-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 04:17 PM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing that $120 would cover the cost of replacing the "serpentine belt" and not the timing belt.
Old 06-06-17, 11:31 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

I agree that $120 seems unreasonably low and is most likely a mistake.

What about the $699 price? If I recall correctly, it is about a 4 hour job by a competent mechanic.

That means they are charging $175 an hour.

I might have the number of hours wrong, but I am guessing Amazon is paying the mechanic $100 an hour and adding on a 20% booking fee for themselves. I could be wrong though, because even at that rate, my numbers don't add up.

Any thoughts about how much is going to who?
Old 06-06-17, 11:43 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

It says, At-Home Services, so will they be coming to your home to install it? mobile mechanic? wonder how much Amazon's cut is
Old 06-06-17, 12:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar

What about the $699 price? If I recall correctly, it is about a 4 hour job by a competent mechanic.

I might have the number of hours wrong, but I am guessing Amazon is paying the mechanic $100 an hour and adding on a 20% booking fee for themselves. I could be wrong though, because even at that rate, my numbers don't add up.

i changed the zip and found a price of $325, which seems like a very good, realistic price for a consumer.

the reviews I have seen, look very good!
Old 06-06-17, 01:13 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DashingDar

I just did a Google search for the average auto mechanics salary and the median salary in the US is about $37,200 or $37,200/2080 hours = $17.88/hr. It also said that 10% of the mechanics make $28,544 or less, or $13.72/hour and that 90% of mechanics make $48,000 or less, or $23/hour. It’s easy to see why Amazon’s automotive service business could make a lot of sense for a good reputable mechanic or even an independent shop that has low overhead. It should be noted that I do not know how accurate these mechanics salaries are, but will use them for comparison purposes.

Now let’s use $120 for a four hour job in a low cost of living area, that is $30/hour, still higher than all of the above hourly rates. If Amazon took a 20% cut of that, it is still $24/hour, still well above the median hourly wage for an auto mechanic.

Using your example of $699 or $175/hour, this mechanic is making far more than he would ever make working for an independent shop or dealership, even if Amazon took out 50%.

Keep in mind that mechanics and shops are competing for business and as this business grows throughout the US, you will have choices of who to choose to do the installation of the part or parts you buy for your car. This seems to be in the infancy stage, but as it grows competition could get interesting and perhaps more independent shops and even dealerships might enter the mix if their business becomes somewhat stifled by Amazon over time.

I’m not seeing a lot of flaws in this business model/approach and I do think it could grow big time.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-06-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 03:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I just did a Google search for the average auto mechanics salary and the median salary in the US is about $37,200 or $37,200/2080 hours = $17.88/hr. It also said that 10% of the mechanics make $28,544 or less, or $13.72/hour and that 90% of mechanics make $48,000 or less, or $23/hour. It’s easy to see why Amazon’s automotive service business could make a lot of sense for a good reputable mechanic or even an independent shop that has low overhead. It should be noted that I do not know how accurate these mechanics salaries are, but will use them for comparison purposes.

Now let’s use $120 for a four hour job in a low cost of living area, that is $30/hour, still higher than all of the above hourly rates. If Amazon took a 20% cut of that, it is still $24/hour, still well above the median hourly wage for an auto mechanic.

Using your example of $699 or $175/hour, this mechanic is making far more than he would ever make working for an independent shop or dealership, even if Amazon took out 50%.

Keep in mind that mechanics and shops are competing for business and as this business grows throughout the US, you will have choices of who to choose to do the installation of the part or parts you buy for your car. This seems to be in the infancy stage, but as it grows competition could get interesting and perhaps more independent shops and even dealerships might enter the mix if their business becomes somewhat stifled by Amazon over time.

I’m not seeing a lot of flaws in this business model/approach and I do think it could grow big time.
i certainly agree with your logic and also noticed this Amazon thing is across the board, home repair, cleaning, computer etc. it's huge and it's going to be good for the consumer...reviews on Amazon will make or break you.
Old 06-17-17, 07:28 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i certainly agree with your logic and also noticed this Amazon thing is across the board, home repair, cleaning, computer etc. it's huge and it's going to be good for the consumer...reviews on Amazon will make or break you.
Add to your list of the Amazon thing, groceries. They just put an offer on Whole Foods yesterday and depending on if there is another bidder or not, they will be into the low margin grocery industry. Granted that Whole Foods is pricey, this potential acquisition has already impacted the market caps of other players in the industry and is anticipated to lower food prices and make the sector even more competitive. It kind of makes you wonder what Amazon's limits are being the middle man in so many industries.

With that said you can now have your car repaired at home, lunch delivered, computer fixed and a splashed installed behind your kitchen counter top all at the same time and for a competitive price..

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-17-17 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 10:52 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

Here is who Amazon has for the Timing Belt installer in Phoenix.

Quick Reply: Amazon will change your timing belt for $699