SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air Conditioning Issues- Sweating the Issues, Literally

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 06:48 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Issues- Sweating the Issues, Literally

Hey gang, so I have a new problem on my well maintained 2002. Searched forum for this issue and had no luck. I've never had any major problems and keep my car superbly maintained. Only had to change serpentine belt due to sqeaking, alternator, and the usual battery replacement. Have yet to do timing belt, water pump, seals, etc (future project and was saving up). As I've been travelling recently, I haven't driven my car often and it's been under a cover. Additionally as it was winter, I didn't use the car much nor used the A/C.

Well, low and behold we hit 90 degrees and I turned on the A/C. No cold air. Compressor kicked on. I have never recharged so thought it could be the issue. Bought a kit, hooked up gauge. Reading was in the red with compressor on and Max cold. Directions said do not attempt to recharge. Took it to PepBoys. They say the A/C Expansion Valve is stuck open. Quoted $90 for part by 4Seasons (part number 39043) and over $1k for labor. Total would be $1200.

I feel like someone just gut punched me. Anyone have any insight on this? I'm really stuck and quite upset. Is this something I can do myself. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon. Anxious.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-05-17 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-05-17, 08:22 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Hopefully it's in the same location as the 02 gs. You could then take the car in have the system evacuated. Then replace the valve. Take it back in to to have the air you introduced vacuumed out, and then refilled. Save you a ton in labor.
The following users liked this post:
ShawnOk (06-07-17)
Old 06-05-17, 09:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Here are a couple threads...how do they know for sure it is the expansion valve?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...sue-sc430.html

a good thread from Helogadget
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...oner-woes.html

a good thread from texsexlex about his HVAC issue...compressor
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-ac-issue.html

this thread sounds like your problem...good luck and let us know how it turns out!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...wing-cold.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-07-17 at 03:12 AM.
ShawnOk (06-07-17)
Old 06-06-17, 03:51 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I will look over all these threads to become more knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks for the advice. I still would feel more comfortable with a real tech doing this work, but I so far all estimates and shops are quoting to remove dash, upwards of $1200+. My shop that did all my previous work just went belly up. Guess as three partners, they couldn't get along any longer. Too bad. But I'm trying to contact one of the techs and see if he wants to try to solve my problem on the sly. Haven't heard from him yet but I will mention the video above showing the method above the gas pedal to try to reduce the headache and charge, of course.

In any case, i was told that it was the expansion valve, as I took that car to PepBoys, left it for an hour or so, and they reported back that the Expansion Valve was stuck open. They said they could fix it for approx $1200 and didn't charge me for the diagnostic. In any case, should I get a second opinion? I also see the compressor clutch kick in when I hit the AC button so I can only assume that it's not the compressor. I worry b'c one of the above threads realized that it was his compressor AFTER he did the expansion valve and wasted a ton of money.

In other thoughts... just asking.... what if I thought about getting that "third party vehicle protection" (ie. TOCO warranty, Endurance, CarShield, et all) and waited some time... and then reported A/C problems? I know I might get flagged on this post, but just wanted opinions. Thanks.
Old 06-06-17, 04:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....i"m going to try to find my old paperwork/receipt ans see what all I had done to my a/c system. Mine wouldn't cool either, although the compressor was kicking in as it normally should. I do remember that I bought another compressor & to keep the warranty valid for the compressor, they'll basically want you to change everything out, to make sure there isn't anything in the system that would damage the new compressor
ShawnOk (06-07-17)
Old 06-06-17, 05:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Shawn, did pep boys give you the freon pressures?

in my previous post the bottom link shows how the individual changed the EV, then the compressor and finally the $50 manual control valve...so be careful and do your homework.

yes, I would get a second and possibly a third opinion and I would go to them with some understanding of our HVAC system before I dropped a bunch of money.
good luck Shawn!
ShawnOk (06-07-17)
Old 06-06-17, 10:46 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....lol.....Bgw I took a look at the links you posted & the third one is mine....sure glad I didn't have to search to long for it. I'm looking at my receipt for the parts & I bought a compressor kit from Discountacparts.........the kit includes a compressor, accumulator, drier, expansion device, oil & o-rings for $320, but this was in June 2015. I received the kit, had my mechanic do the install & when he fired it up, still no cold air. He called the company & they went through the the installation process, step by step, determined that everything was done right. After a few test, it was determined that the new compressor wasn't any good....lol.....but they sent the replacement overnight & I was back in business. This company required me to change everything, to keep a valid warranty & if I had bought just the compressor (like I almost did), I wouldn't have been able to get the bad compressor replaced. I can't find my receipt for the labor, but I think I paid about $450-500
ShawnOk (06-07-17)
Old 06-09-17, 09:26 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone! I am trying to do all the research I can and get as much info as possible before going down this road. PepBoys did not give me the pressures but once I get back to Chicago, I will take it for a few more opinions to see if the problem is truly the Expansion Valve and not something else. In any case, just a request. Does anyone have the service manual for replacement of the Expansion Valve? Just a thought to get all my ducks in a row and help me to realize if this is something I can DIY (with in/out service for the freon and pressure) or something that I will have to get done professionally. Any advice or service diagrams is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oh and also... if anyone has any thoughts on my question above about CarSheild, Toco, etc. (the aftermarket third party warranty companies), I'd like to hear what you all think.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-09-17 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-08-17, 06:08 PM
Lexallday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Hopefully it's in the same location as the 02 gs. You could then take the car in have the system evacuated. Then replace the valve. Take it back in to to have the air you introduced vacuumed out, and then refilled. Save you a ton in labor. https://youtu.be/X-v0f_VYsYI
I just wanted to confirm that the expansion valve is in the same place as in the video above. Only difference is you do NOT need to take any covers off like in the GS430. Took me 1 1/2 hours to replace the expansion valve and recharge the system. After I replaced the expansion valve the A/C worked for about 5 minutes then the compressor kept turning on and off. When it turned on the A/C would blow cold air until it shuts off. Then it would just keep doing this over and over again. The funny thing is before I replaced the expansion valve the compressor would kick on fine. Not sure if the compressor was the issue in the first place, but I had the same issue as you and the gauge would be in the red.
Old 07-08-17, 10:00 PM
Lexallday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to update that I had put too much Freon in my car and had removed some. After removing some the compressor works fine. I guess adding too much Freon will cause this. I will monitor the car tomorrow for an update.
Old 07-09-17, 09:46 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexallday
I just wanted to confirm that the expansion valve is in the same place as in the video above. Only difference is you do NOT need to take any covers off like in the GS430. Took me 1 1/2 hours to replace the expansion valve and recharge the system. After I replaced the expansion valve the A/C worked for about 5 minutes then the compressor kept turning on and off. When it turned on the A/C would blow cold air until it shuts off. Then it would just keep doing this over and over again. The funny thing is before I replaced the expansion valve the compressor would kick on fine. Not sure if the compressor was the issue in the first place, but I had the same issue as you and the gauge would be in the red.
So you were able to change the valve via the "gas pedal" route?
If you had it to do again, would you start with changing the compressor? or go straight to changing the expansion valve?

I only ask b'c another member (TexSexLex) as well as other members' threads described similar situations. They changed the expansion valve only to find out that they had to change the compressor in the end. So the compressor was the true problem. So is it better to start at the tail end by replacing the compressor with an easier install and work toward the expansion valve since it's replacement is so invasive?