SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just tried a tank of ethanol-free gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 09:48 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just tried a tank of ethanol-free gas

During a discussion with my local mechanic about "more power", he asked me if I was experiencing acceleration lag. I told him I was and regretted not having some settings changed when I had my transmission serviced. He suggested I try ethanol-free premium.

My tank was getting pretty low. So, the next morning I went to a station selling non-ethanol fuel and filled up. I am pleasantly surprised. I could feel the difference pretty quickly. The lag was dramatically reduced. I don't know what the mechanical dynamics might be with ethanol versus no ethanol - I don't think I just mentally conjured up better responsiveness. I just may keep paying the higher price for the alcohol-free gas as long as I can get it.
Old 06-10-17, 07:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, this was discovered by another owner a while back also. Unfortunately, most of us don't have access to non-ethanol gas. If it is available, then I'd use it also and recommend that you continue to take advantage of it.
Old 06-10-17, 09:32 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe the thread to which Harold is referring, the same poster either said there is a list of all the non-ethanol service stations on the internet, or an app that targets all the non-ethanol stations by zip code, area code, or gps location. Something to consider, also.
Old 06-10-17, 10:27 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I use it for my lawn mower, may try it in the LS.
Old 06-10-17, 11:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
During a discussion with my local mechanic about "more power", he asked me if I was experiencing acceleration lag. I told him I was and regretted not having some settings changed when I had my transmission serviced. He suggested I try ethanol-free premium.

My tank was getting pretty low. So, the next morning I went to a station selling non-ethanol fuel and filled up. I am pleasantly surprised. I could feel the difference pretty quickly. The lag was dramatically reduced. I don't know what the mechanical dynamics might be with ethanol versus no ethanol - I don't think I just mentally conjured up better responsiveness. I just may keep paying the higher price for the alcohol-free gas as long as I can get it.
are you familiar with the throttle ECU reset/calibration procedure?
compliments of Harold57
Originally Posted by Harold57
The easiest method to reset the ECU is to go through the procedure below:

If you want to reset the ECU without losing your seat and stereo settings, perform the following procedure:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait 2 minutes.
6. Remove key.
7. Done

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-10-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 12:16 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I believe the thread to which Harold is referring, the same poster either said there is a list of all the non-ethanol service stations on the internet, or an app that targets all the non-ethanol stations by zip code, area code, or gps location. Something to consider, also.
I did a quick search but couldn't find the link that identifies gas stations that don't use ethanol. Here is one of the threads that discussed the performance without it but it wasn't the one with the link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ag-for-me.html
Old 06-10-17, 02:26 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

I love these threads. This is right up there with the tread years ago that someone said they put nitrogen into their tires and the ride improved. Please, please provide some independent data that supports your conclusion. There is no way I believe that anyone could tell the difference in performance. If there was that type of advantage don't you think everyone would be doing it. Again, you do get the golden toe award, but please provide some sort of data other than "I believe". And yes, I do know that the energy density of gasoline is greater than ethanol.
Old 06-10-17, 02:34 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I love these threads. This is right up there with the tread years ago that someone said they put nitrogen into their tires and the ride improved. Please, please provide some independent data that supports your conclusion. There is no way I believe that anyone could tell the difference in performance. If there was that type of advantage don't you think everyone would be doing it. Again, you do get the golden toe award, but please provide some sort of data other than "I believe". And yes, I do know that the energy density of gasoline is greater than ethanol.
LoL, I see where you are going with this and if you have one of these, all is legit!
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-11-17 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 03:01 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
LoL, I see where you are going with this and the if you have one of these, all is legit!
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=8
You even made my wife laugh. I love it!! I know what I am getting for father's day.
Old 06-10-17, 03:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

The 3UZ seems to do better when pure gas is used. When I bought my 05 LS430 the dealership put 10% ethanol gas in it and I got terrible gas mileage during that time. I've always put pure gas in my Lexus' anyway but I wasn't going to turn down free gas.

I heard that many states just have ethanol gas though. Non-ethanol gas is pretty common around here but you do pay more.
Old 06-10-17, 05:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

my wife swears that when she gets a rita ice cream with the top down the lag is gone . I guess its the cream
Old 06-10-17, 05:44 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by mrblister
my wife swears that when she gets a rita ice cream with the top down the lag is gone . I guess its the cream
Now that I believe !!
Old 06-10-17, 09:12 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have 4 cars, & I have never, ever used Ethanol. I use the top of the line Premium Fuel. It costs more, but the Cars purr, & I get better Fuel consumption.

Chris.......From OZ.
Old 06-10-17, 09:21 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

There's an app that has all the ethanol free stations around your area. It's called Pure Gas. Not sure how frequently it's updated but it's a start!
Old 06-12-17, 07:56 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuckling...... iolmaster could be right. I was hoping someone else would have some insight into this. Sure, I could be suffering from the "placebo effect" or deserve the Golden Toe award, whatever that is. However, I put some miles on this weekend and I'm still convinced throttle response is noticeably better.

Quick Reply: Just tried a tank of ethanol-free gas