SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How long does it take to receive a title?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 08:40 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
Default How long does it take to receive a title?

As many of you know I purchased a 2002 SC430 from Florida around mid-April of this year from Royal Palm Toyota in Florida and had it shipped to North Carolina. I sent a cashiers check along with the title transfer paperwork back with all forms notarized for both the FL and NC DMV. To date I have not received a title. The dealer has been good about sending 30 day tags every 30 days (overnight via FedEx) and they tell me just be patient it can take a while. They actually said I've been very nice about it people call very upset when they haven't received a title after a long while but don't worry everything was sent to the DMV.

That being said, the other day I sent a copy of the bill of sale and letter to the dealer stating I'm still waiting and what are the next steps. I'm usually a patient guy but since it's been 90+ days I'm beginning to worry. Have any of you gone through this? I know the DMV can be slow and since it's coming from FL to NC maybe that is part of the delay. I tried contacting both the FL and NC DMV to find out a status and they both basically said to contact my selling dealer lol.
Old 07-28-17, 01:44 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Wonder how efficient are these companies who process titles for the dealer. I do not have a solution for you but the one time I bought a car out of state, I handled tax title and registration on my own. Had to line up at the DMV but it was all done in a morning. I think I will stick with this process. Hope things work out for you and they hurry up.
Old 07-28-17, 03:04 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I actually don't think in Florida the dealer is legally supposed to send you another set of 30 day tags. The title should have been sent within 30 days. I'd ask for a call directly with the Dealer's general manager and in that call ask for a verbal explanation (with written followup confirmation from the dealer) of exactly what is the status of your title and when it will be sent to you.

Depending on what you learn you may be fine waiting a little longer, or you may need to immediately contact an attorney. I don't mean to scare you but some seriously bad stuff can be happening to your money and your ownership of the car when a car title is not immediately forthcoming.

Assuming your title is actually going to show up eventually, also check with your local state licensing department to see if there are any penalties involved when registering a car more than 30 days after purchase (there often is a penalty) and make sure at a minimum the dealer reimburses you for these.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 07-28-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 06:13 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

This doesn't smell good. It sounds like the dealer doesn't have clear title and thus can not transfer it to you. Maybe there is a lien still on the title that hasn't been paid off or a problem with the person who sold the car to the dealer (e.g. two owners on the title but one hasn't signed off to release their interest). Under Florida law, the title MUST be transferred BEFORE 30 days or there will be penalties assessed. You need to get straight answers on what the problem is.
Old 07-29-17, 08:05 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fortunately it is a dealership and not Joe Boy's Auto...I bought my 2006 from Wilde Lexus in Sarasota (great people and the chocolate chip cookies were too good) ... road a bus from Texas for 33 hours ... 6 hr layover in Atlanta...I didn't know they could search your stuff...so I had to give up three personal protection devices(I got them back) ... no problem with getting the title...I paid the sales tax in Fl and they sent it to TX and it all worked...however, somehow an extra dealer tag ended up on another car and I got a letter from FDMV that I owed over $400 in traffic tickets...this took a few letters and phone calls to straighten out ...I still don't know how that happened but I look at FL in a completely different way from now on...call your lawyer ...
Old 07-29-17, 03:28 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a car in Saint Louis, Mo and had it shipped home to VA. Car arrived by transport with MO temp plates and the title came from MO DMV 3 weeks later.
Old 07-30-17, 06:29 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies, I agree I may have to start getting legal involved...the Florida DMV said there's no lien but maybe all the parties haven't signed off who knows...either way it's not good for it to be taking this long.
Old 07-30-17, 07:06 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In Kansas a dealer has 30 days to provide a title. If they don't a simple call to the attorney general...and they send a demand letter to the dealer...refund the money or provide a tile...no questions asked. So I would start witha call to the AG in FL.
Old 07-31-17, 09:15 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Or suggest you type in the VIN number and see what kind of hits you will get. Normally, things like information on the VIN being a salvage title show up. Gone that road before where you see a nice car and then when you try to get info, surprises show up.

Hopefully the title shows up today! Good luck.
Old 07-31-17, 01:48 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Or suggest you type in the VIN number and see what kind of hits you will get. Normally, things like information on the VIN being a salvage title show up. Gone that road before where you see a nice car and then when you try to get info, surprises show up.

Hopefully the title shows up today! Good luck.
Thanks mandyfig. What do you know...I check the Florida website today...and for the first time IN 3 MONTHS the title shows up as issued!!! Woohoo. Let's hope I receive it soon.

Old 08-01-17, 05:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Congratulations! It was Toyota dealer so I was not concerned.
Old 08-01-17, 03:54 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Its the good karma from Club Lexus that made this happen.
Old 08-01-17, 05:23 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Thanks mandyfig. What do you know...I check the Florida website today...and for the first time IN 3 MONTHS the title shows up as issued!!! Woohoo. Let's hope I receive it soon.

really glad to hear it's issued; I would have been concerned also. great news that there are no problems apparently except for slow processing!
Old 08-02-17, 05:16 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Great news! Thanks for sharing the outcome.
Old 08-04-17, 01:48 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Its the good karma from Club Lexus that made this happen.
Haha, I think so. Just wanted to update everyone all is well....received the title via FedEx and got her registered today. Took her out for a ride and it felt good. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: How long does it take to receive a title?