SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is it possible to tow a Lexus sc430 behind my rv without damaging it

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 09:05 PM
jgiannis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edki1945
I’m sorry but I did not make it out to the rv barn today. Not feeling well but will do it Monday. Here is the only one I have so farhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRVNqRcVFcQe4EQe7
The trailer titled weight is 1600 lbs and the SC430 weighs
3,840 lbs which equals 5440 lbs.
BTW, I got rid of my original GPS and installed a Garmin 760LMT with lifetime updates in its place which works much better and it replaced the back up camera I had like yours. It fits perfectly and works better than original. Looks and acts like it was installed by the factory except that it does not turn the radio down when announcing directions. Of course it has much better GPS backup camera and bluetooth phone.
My phone number is 682-553-3582.
This might be a silly question, but when replacing the factory GPS with the Garmin, you will lost the Lexus Operating System, right? That is, you’ll no longer be able to load the diagnostics screen, right?

I’m not too familiar with Garmin products, but from what I can tell, there is no input that would allow you to plug the Lexus system in.
Old 06-02-21, 10:46 PM
edki1945
Driver School Candidate

Default Garmin SC430

Originally Posted by jgiannis
This might be a silly question, but when replacing the factory GPS with the Garmin, you will lost the Lexus Operating System, right? That is, you’ll no longer be able to load the diagnostics screen, right?

I’m not too familiar with Garmin products, but from what I can tell, there is no input that would allow you to plug the Lexus system in.
From what I'm seen of their piece of crap antiquated GPS I doubt that there's anything that I could get out of their diagnostic screen that I couldn't get out of my OBD2 scanner. I don't think it even had a diagnostic screen that year.
Old 06-02-21, 11:09 PM
jgiannis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edki1945
From what I'm seen of their piece of crap antiquated GPS I doubt that there's anything that I could get out of their diagnostic screen that I couldn't get out of my OBD2 scanner. I don't think it even had a diagnostic screen that year.
what I mean is, there are several buttons just below the nav:
  1. Map voice
  2. destination
  3. menu
  4. info
  5. display
  6. tilt
  7. open
  8. close

my guess is that 1-2 are already obsolete since nobody uses the built in nav these days anyway.

and 6-7-8 will retain functionality.

but 3-4-5 are good options that ideally would be retained, but sadly wont. As far as I know, there is no way to harness the Lexus OS to feed into a different screen.

the only screen-switching technique I’ve seen was from a Naviks, where the original nav is retained, but a magical harness is used to route to an external device, which then forces the lcd screen to “boot” into the new device. You can easily boot back out. So in this case you’d be adding functionality to the existing nav, rather than swapping out the nav and funneling the OEM data into it. Its the latter option that id like to do, just because I dont like the idea of having a bunch of defunct buttons.

Last edited by jgiannis; 06-02-21 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 02:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by jgiannis
what I mean is, there are several buttons just below the nav:
  1. Map voice
  2. destination
  3. menu
  4. info
  5. display
  6. tilt
  7. open
  8. close

my guess is that 1-2 are already obsolete since nobody uses the built in nav these days anyway.

and 6-7-8 will retain functionality.

but 3-4-5 are good options that ideally would be retained, but sadly wont. As far as I know, there is no way to harness the Lexus OS to feed into a different screen.

the only screen-switching technique I’ve seen was from a Naviks, where the original nav is retained, but a magical harness is used to route to an external device, which then forces the lcd screen to “boot” into the new device. You can easily boot back out. So in this case you’d be adding functionality to the existing nav, rather than swapping out the nav and funneling the OEM data into it. Its the latter option that id like to do, just because I dont like the idea of having a bunch of defunct buttons.
the beat sonic adds a second video input which I have and use for the backup camera…the mode button on the steering wheel switch between the two video sources…backup cam and oem functionality