SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21, 01:13 AM
Apricot34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Etski
One day later, still no dinging when I turned the car on or taking my daughter to school (but the TPMS light was on solid). After dropping her off, I took my car to Burt Brothers auto and had him fill all my tires to 33psi, light was still on. Drove it home. Put it in park and lo and behold, the TPMS light went off! Yee Ha! Problem is solved. I am extremely happy to report that I was successful!

I believe I have 4 totally working aftermarket sensors all programmed and working 100% and a working copy of Techstream for a steal of a deal! I couldn't have done it without clublexus! Thanks for all the helpful posts I read and I hope my post helps others as well. I look forward to doing some more testing with TechStream. Last night the only other codes I found were B1421 & B1424 on the air conditioner, but another clublexus post explained that was because I tested it in my garage and it was nighttime, so the solar sensors normally give this result! I love Club Lexus, so happy to have joined this club! I'm going to enjoy no lights or sounds for a while before I try TechStream again (if it ain't broken, don't fix it), but I do look forward to some more tinkering in the future! This SC430 really makes driving fun again!
Where did you get your TechStream? Can you also tell me about your computer when to use it?
Old 09-11-21, 01:56 AM
Apricot34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I had an error code for ID2

As you see, Techstream provides plenty of data from the TPMS sensor. Easy to read and diagnose. The low voltage and extremely high temp was the giveaway this was the bad sensor.

Where did you buy your TechStream and which version is it? I was thinking buying version 16, which is the newest, however I found someone saying about it. Please read:

dkraines , 06-19-21 03:17 PM
Driver School Candidate
“I use a MINI VCI J2535 cable. I originally bought one of these cables off Amazon, Prime option, received in 2 days. However the firmware was 1.4.1, which doesn't support the live data feed from the ECU for the 4th gen GS, I think everything else worked, but there were occasional errors. I bought the cable for live data mainly, and was not happy, I found out Googling that you need 2.0.4 firmware to get live data on the newer Lexus's. I couldn't find one on Amazon where 2.0.4 was explicitly called out. I was able to find the 2.0.4 firmware cables on Aliexpress, took almost 3 weeks to get the one I chose.

Also, as you state about features, I found v16Techstream doesn't have the ability to customize settings on my 2013, I think they removed functionality, maybe to force you to go to the dealer. I'm using a version 12 of Techstream, which does have the customize settings button. V12 of Techstream was released on 2017.”

It sounds purchasing TechStream V16 is not a wise thing, isn't it? Do you have any idea which version I should buy for my 2004 SC430?

Old 09-11-21, 07:08 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

Appricot,

With 04 SC you will need:
1. Lap top with 32-bit i.e. Win XP or Win7
2. TechStream software Ver 12
3. Cable firm ware Ver 1.4.1 or ver 2.0.4.

Do the search. Plenty of infos on this subject.
Old 09-11-21, 07:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Apricot34
Where did you buy your TechStream and which version is it? I was thinking buying version 16, which is the newest, however I found someone saying about it. Please read:

dkraines , 06-19-21 03:17 PM
Driver School Candidate
“I use a MINI VCI J2535 cable. I originally bought one of these cables off Amazon, Prime option, received in 2 days. However the firmware was 1.4.1, which doesn't support the live data feed from the ECU for the 4th gen GS, I think everything else worked, but there were occasional errors. I bought the cable for live data mainly, and was not happy, I found out Googling that you need 2.0.4 firmware to get live data on the newer Lexus's. I couldn't find one on Amazon where 2.0.4 was explicitly called out. I was able to find the 2.0.4 firmware cables on Aliexpress, took almost 3 weeks to get the one I chose.

Also, as you state about features, I found v16Techstream doesn't have the ability to customize settings on my 2013, I think they removed functionality, maybe to force you to go to the dealer. I'm using a version 12 of Techstream, which does have the customize settings button. V12 of Techstream was released on 2017.”

It sounds purchasing TechStream V16 is not a wise thing, isn't it? Do you have any idea which version I should buy for my 2004 SC430?
Read this entire thread…many of the answers are right here…plenty of links.
v12 will work on a 2004…let us know how it goes.

Old 09-13-21, 03:52 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the Denso's work with 2003s? On their website, they say they work with 04-06.
Old 09-13-21, 04:26 PM
Etski
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What I bought and used

I bought my cable on Amazon and it came with techstream & some other files & instructions to get it working.

Mini VCI J2534 TIS techstream Diagnostic Cable, OBD2 Scanner for Toyota Lexus Scion https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088RJSR...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I installed it on an older win7 laptop that had no important data because the extra files were definitely questionable. The extra files and instructions are necessary to fool techstream into running without requiring logging in to the Toyota/Lexus system by making it run on Lexus Asia instead of Lexus US. That said, I actually wound up using the extra files and instructions to use an older version of techstream which I found in a link here in club Lexus look in my earlier post #70 for the link, it’s in google docs, but i can’t seem to copy it here, don’t know why?!?

Originally Posted by Apricot34
Where did you get your TechStream? Can you also tell me about your computer when to use it?

Last edited by Etski; 09-13-21 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 04:45 PM
Etski
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Denso’s

From everything I’ve read, if the Denso’s have the 4 different colors for the 2004-2006, they should work for the 2003 as well. I used the one’s I bought from Amazon and posted links in my post, #70 I believe. It’s weird that all 4 were different prices and the hardest part was the techstream registration, but once they’re registered, all seemed good!

Originally Posted by sprcarrera
Do the Denso's work with 2003s? On their website, they say they work with 04-06.
Old 09-14-21, 07:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sprcarrera
put it this way, the built by Denso for Toyota (Lexus) part numbers are the same for the 2002-2006.
I would take a chance and save a few $$$ if that is a concern.

this guy looks like a good price and he appears to sell all four colors.

Let us know how it goes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25472072226...evt=1&mkcid=28

Also, if you plan to program them yourself using Techstream, make sure you perform the process before you install the new sensors. That way, you are familiar with how it works.

before you begin, check to make sure some of the sensors are still functioning by checking the data page for the sensors. Change the pressure in the tire and watch for an update in Techstream

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-14-21 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sprcarrera (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 01:31 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So ordering the Densos started to get complicated quickly when I noticed the seller said you need the service kit as well. So a quick look on Rock Auto shows two different service kits for the Densos. One for "painted" colors on the sensors and one for "etched" name of the colors on the sensors. So I figured out that there are two versions of the Densos that share the same part numbers. And if you look at pictures of the two versions, there are differences in the valve stem. I began to think that version with the name of the color printed on them were newer than the ones with the colors painted on them. The ebay seller has what looks like the older version and I wasn't sure I wanted to get those.
Old 09-14-21, 01:45 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Going by Lexus part numbers, the ones with the color name printed are the newer version. (just purchased a set myself from Bell Lexus).
The following users liked this post:
sprcarrera (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 03:06 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Read this entire thread…many of the answers are right here…plenty of links.
v12 will work on a 2004…let us know how it goes.
I'm having some new tires and new OEM TPMS sensors installed on Saturday.

Based on advice you gave (this thread), I went out today to test my version of Techstream with my 2002 SC430.

I can report that V14.10.028, with the newer 2.0.X firmware cable, on a 64-bit Win 10 machine, appears to work in my car. And it works for my 2020 Land Cruiser too.

Was able to access and make changes in customizations, as well getting into the TPMS registration screen.

Upon disconnect, it did set off the VSC & ABS lights, but that was easily reset. BTW, Techstream put up a screen message warning me that the car was known to trigger the lights after a Techstream session.

Last edited by oneround; 09-14-21 at 03:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oneround:
Bgw70 (09-14-21), sprcarrera (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 06:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oneround
I'm having some new tires and new OEM TPMS sensors installed on Saturday.

Based on advice you gave (this thread), I went out today to test my version of Techstream with my 2002 SC430.

I can report that V14.10.028, with the newer 2.0.X firmware cable, on a 64-bit Win 10 machine, appears to work in my car. And it works for my 2020 Land Cruiser too.

Was able to access and make changes in customizations, as well getting into the TPMS registration screen.

Upon disconnect, it did set off the VSC & ABS lights, but that was easily reset. BTW, Techstream put up a screen message warning me that the car was known to trigger the lights after a Techstream session.
Well done Lee, and thank you for taking the time to perform these extra steps.
BTW, have you seen the thread with the steps to create an OBDII reset tool, pins 4&14 shorted in the connector?
also, another tool that eliminates the possibility of the VSC light coming on?

Old 09-14-21, 06:39 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Well done Lee, and thank you for taking the time to perform these extra steps.
BTW, have you seen the thread with the steps to create an OBDII reset tool, pins 4&14 shorted in the connector?
also, another tool that eliminates the possibility of the VSC light coming on?
Yes, and another big thanks to the forum. I made one a couple of weeks ago, and have used it twice now clearing codes as I chased VSV and vacuum line issues.

I have shorted pins for one reason or another in a Toyota/Lexus product since owning a 2000 LX470. But, but never had the eureka idea to use a shell and make a tool instead of messing around with a paper clip (always worried that I'd short the wrong pins and somehow "blow up" an ECU).

Old 09-15-21, 07:24 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Going by Lexus part numbers, the ones with the color name printed are the newer version. (just purchased a set myself from Bell Lexus).
I just installed a new set of OEM earlier this year on my 2002.

The ones that came out were "colored" which had basically faded out to a grayish color making it impossible to tell the difference between them.

The new Lexus TPMS Sensors had the color printed on the sensor. FYIW.

Paul
Old 09-15-21, 08:02 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, and another big thanks to the forum. I made one a couple of weeks ago, and have used it twice now clearing codes as I chased VSV and vacuum line issues.

I have shorted pins for one reason or another in a Toyota/Lexus product since owning a 2000 LX470. But, but never had the eureka idea to use a shell and make a tool instead of messing around with a paper clip (always worried that I'd short the wrong pins and somehow "blow up" an ECU).
here is the next Gen reset tool that prevents the VSC lights coming on…courtesy of Harold57 and Retroplay.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10852831
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
Harold57 (09-15-21), oneround (09-15-21)

Quick Reply: TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006