SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 02:57 PM
Etski
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mine is working fine with these TPM61,62,63,64 sensors

The Standard Motor Products sensors listed below in the quote are working great for me! They came with everything you needed for the tire shop to install them and they registered fine with techstream!
Originally Posted by Etski
My TPMS saga. When I bought my used 2003 sc430 the tpms light was on and a local tire place tried to help. they said they were able to get a reading off one of them, but the conclusion was that 3 were probably dead batteries. I needed some front end work which required a front end alignment as well before I replaced the 2 badly worn tires. Having done all my reading in these threads, I eventually bought 4 new sensors from Standard Motor Products on Amazon. TPM61
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DCC4E4...roduct_details

, TPM62, TPM63 & TPM64 are their part numbers and the prices for each vary, $59.88, $11.38, $49.62 & $11.38 respectively. Crazy, right?!? Discount tire thought they could install them and get them working, but no such luck. I bought 2 new tires, they installed those 2 valves included with installation and they installed the other 2 for $21 each (actually is was $21 each for all 4 tires, so same as new tire installation charge). Unfortunately they didn't have techstream and couldn't get the tires registered, so the TPMS now started beeping every 2 minutes while driving, very annoying. I know there's posts to disable the beeping, but I just spent about $150 extra trying to get TPMS working and both LEXUS and TOYOTA wanted hours of my time and much more money to get this working, so I ordered Techstream and a cable on Amazon too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RJSR5Y...roduct_details
Tonight I finally installed Techstream and that was another struggle. I think because it is a 2003, I needed the older version of techstream https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...PHAe1AQBBM5I5A with the older firmware, but I also needed to use the hack that the chinese cable seller included (which flags as both trojan and ransomware) to actually get techstream to connect to my car. I used an old win7 laptop that's never really used except now, as my techstream machine, but I was ready to give up. The 12.10.019 version seems to require dealer passwords and the hack allowed me to set up region as china and run an international version, unfortunately that means my tire pressure is displayed as kPa(abs) instead of PSI, but I dealt with it. I got rid of the beeping and I registered my sensors, but not sure if I'm all the way there because TPMS light is still on, but at least they're registered. I think I still need to calibrate the pressure to get the light off, hopefully I can do that by just overinflating and then bringing them down to the correct tire pressure. Nobody really states exactly here how to do that and if you need to be running Techstream to do that. The 2003 as far as I know doesn't have a calibration reset button for the TPMS. Anyone with insight into this, I'd love to hear from you, but right now I'm happy. I have an annoying TPMS light on my dash, but thank god, no more dinging(I hope, I only pulled it in and out of the driveway). If I'd known how big a pain this was going to be, I probably would have just abandoned TPMS and pulled the warning light/buzzer plug underneath the radio. I was thinking when I need 4 new tires I might try the Michelin all weather runflats, that sound really good, but at this point I only needed two tires, so I stuck with 2 summer tires and I'm running naked with no spare. If I finally get TPMS working, next set might be Michelins, any feedback on them?
The following 2 users liked this post by Etski:
Bgw70 (09-15-21), sprcarrera (09-16-21)
Old 09-16-21, 05:45 AM
Apricot34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TechStream for 2002-2006 SC430

What I have is Windows 10 with 64-bit. Has anybody experienced the same and found a solution? Should I buy another Windows with 32-bit only to use for TechStream instead of using the Windows 10 with 64-bit? My car has a check engine light on for the last two months, so I need to solve the issue ASAP.

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Appricot,

With 04 SC you will need:
1. Lap top with 32-bit i.e. Win XP or Win7
2. TechStream software Ver 12
3. Cable firm ware Ver 1.4.1 or ver 2.0.4.

Do the search. Plenty of infos on this subject.

Last edited by Apricot34; 09-16-21 at 06:23 AM. Reason: A grammar mistake to correct.
Old 09-16-21, 09:00 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Apricot34
What I have is Windows 10 with 64-bit. Has anybody experienced the same and found a solution? Should I buy another Windows with 32-bit only to use for TechStream instead of using the Windows 10 with 64-bit? My car has a check engine light on for the last two months, so I need to solve the issue ASAP.
I can load up somewhere a 64-bit driver that I use on a Microsoft Surface running win 10. However...

The driver installation program was made in Russia (AFAIK). Since the program makes changes to the Windows 10 registry, it will set off most virus detectors. So you would have to turn that off during installation, then turn back on after.

I run a program (Windows Firewall Control) that can prevent external input or output to/from my machine unless I specifically give it permission. The driver program I'm mentioning has never tried to reach out from my machine, but I'm not a hacker level guy so I can't promise anything on any other machine.

A plus is that it will install drivers for both 1.4.X and 2.0.X so either of the Amazon/Ebay cables out there will work.

Let me know if you're willing to try it, and I'll find a place to upload it so you can then download.

Edit: If all you want to do is read and reset codes, it might be easier to get a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and an app for your phone. I use Carista, but it's limited to just code read/reset for SC430s.

Last edited by oneround; 09-16-21 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 04:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Apricot34
Why go thru the hassle to install it to a 64-bit machine. All you have to do is buying the cheap laptop with Win XP or Win 7. They are available on EBay . Personally, I had it installed on the Win10 laptop, but that with the help of the vendor.
Old 09-17-21, 11:16 AM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm kinda cheap so I couldn't really stomach paying well over $300 for sensors from the dealer. I also couldn't find any Densos for less than $75 each. So based on the recent posts from @Etski , I decided to take a chance on the Standard Motor Products sensors. I bought mine off Rock Auto for about $56 each plus tax and shipping. Well, they are made by Pacific Industrial and look like they are the exact same ones from Denso and the ones you get from the dealer:

The following users liked this post:
Etski (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 12:22 PM
Etski
Rookie

Default Take pics of all 4 before you install them

Interesting, all 4 were same price? 2 of mine were really cheap on amazon, only tpm61 cost $59.88 for some reason!?! FYI, it wasn’t really necessary, but I wish I had taken pics or documented the serial numbers before I had the tire store install them. Once installed, I was worried I might have needed the info, although I never did. Techstream found the serial numbers using the rapid deflate technique, but it might be nice to have a sheet with the serial numbers/colors and which tire they’re installed in for future reference. Again, I don’t have this and really don’t seem to need it, but would be nice to have!

FYI, I finally got around to testing the sensors and they worked great. I went to the air check station, deflated the tires one at a time until the tpms light came on and then refilled them and watched the light go off! They all worked great. The tire shop guy didn’t think the test would work, he thought vehicle needed to be moving for tpms sensors to update data, but apparently our sensors are better than that!
Old 09-17-21, 01:08 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting, all 4 were same price? 2 of mine were really cheap on amazon, only tpm61 cost $59.88 for some reason!?! FYI, it wasn’t really necessary, but I wish I had taken pics or documented the serial numbers before I had the tire store install them. Once installed, I was worried I might have needed the info, although I never did. Techstream found the serial numbers using the rapid deflate technique, but it might be nice to have a sheet with the serial numbers/colors and which tire they’re installed in for future reference. Again, I don’t have this and really don’t seem to need it, but would be nice to have!

FYI, I finally got around to testing the sensors and they worked great. I went to the air check station, deflated the tires one at a time until the tpms light came on and then refilled them and watched the light go off! They all worked great. The tire shop guy didn’t think the test would work, he thought vehicle needed to be moving for tpms sensors to update data, but apparently our sensors are better than that!
Do that deflate test again with Techstream hooked up (just data, not the registration screen) and you can note which wheel has which sensor. I think the Standard sensors, etc. follow the same pattern as the OEM, i.e., 61=24011, 62=24021...
Color - OEM Part Number
White 42607-24011
Blue 42607-24021
Red 42607-24031
Gold 42607-24041
Old 09-17-21, 02:19 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

They're all around $65 on Amazon now except for the TPM64 which is $26. Also the pictures on Amazon are of the older style of sensor for some reason.
Old 10-07-22, 06:15 PM
EEng
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 ES 350 shows the individual tire pressures. But they only lasted 9 years. Does your Lexus also show the pressures?
Old 10-07-22, 06:37 PM
Etski
Rookie

Originally Posted by EEng
My 2013 ES 350 shows the individual tire pressures. But they only lasted 9 years. Does your Lexus also show the pressures?
My Lexus is a 2003 sc430(which is basically what this thread is for), our cars only show one light which says pressure is abnormal is some tire, it doesn't even say which one, let alone the exact pressure, lol. Even using the techserve utility the readings are really slow. I think everyone in this forum is happy just to get the light and beep to shut off and then know when the light comes on, it's time to find an air pump. I bought a small one which works off the cigarette lighter. Hopefully it only goes on when it gets cold and pressured low or at the beginning of summer when pressure is too high. Our car doesn't even come with a spare, so when that lights on, we're typically nervous!
Old 10-08-22, 07:43 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 348 Posts

EENG

Like Etski said our SC 430's don't show the PSI's for each tire. However my 2010 LS 460L does show the PSI for each tire. If you got 9 years that is about normal maybe just a little less.

Dennis
Old 10-08-22, 10:40 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I have three bad sensors and one good. TechStream shows the bad sensors and pressure/voltage for the good one. The problem is, it does not tell you which, just indicates them as ID 1,2,3...4. It think they are in order as LF, RF, LR, and RR but not sure. I have 07 SC so it uses the generic sensors. When the time come, I just replace all of them at the same time. For right now, the black tape would do.
Old 10-08-22, 05:55 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 348 Posts

GmanSC

You are retired now and everyone knows retirees are flush with cash, just ask Joe. Surly you are not spending it on that $6-8 dollar gas? Why wait just get 4 new TPMS now. Do your part for the economy.

Dennis
Old 10-09-22, 03:28 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Dennis,
Ha ! Retirees are flushed with cash ! I wish. I am due for my new tires soon, so when I do that, new sensors will be installed. BTW, Costco is offering 150 dollars discount on a set of 4 Michelins if anyone interested.
The following users liked this post:
DJWLDW (10-09-22)
Old 07-01-23, 10:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

I had all four TPMS sensors replaced in my 2007, one went so i replaced them all.
Discount Tire Did it for me. It was $10 a wheel, not bad…free would’ve been nicer 😉
They were also able to program the new sensors with no issues…not possible on the 2002-2006.
When i did my 2002, i had to use TechStream to program the sensors for them.

Denso 550-0103 TPMS 315-MHZ Sensor for Toyota/Lexus

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ05U24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006