SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Passenger side inside switch not operational

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 07:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Passenger side inside switch not operational

Pass side Door switch (lock and unlock), not operational from passenger side, I can unlock and lock from Driver’s side. What’s the typical root cause of this situation?

Pass side door lock-unlock switch malfunction?

Nothing has changed, suddenly about 2 months ago, it quit working. Of course the wife is upset.

Me too, getting shouted at is not good.
Old 09-05-17, 08:25 AM
mandyfig

Maybe contacts on switch passenger side need cleaning and greasing? I can open and close the Pass door using the DR-Master switch.
Old 09-05-17, 09:24 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not insulting your intelligence but have you made sure the lockout button on the drivers door isn't depressed?
Old 09-05-17, 10:02 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Not insulting your intelligence but have you made sure the lockout button on the drivers door isn't depressed?
Or it's bad.
Old 09-05-17, 10:25 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I've seen many times the wire connector just came loose at the door switch. I'm not sure how it happens because they have clips to hold it, but I've seen it many times.
Old 09-05-17, 10:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Does it not open from the exterior handle or the interior handle or both? Could be a bad lock motor/servo? There was a post on it somewhere on the SC430 forum. Someone replaced the small motor in the door that controls the unlock/lock function and did a killer DIY. Those motors go bad often. Common issue esp with high heat areas, from what I'm told.
Old 09-06-17, 04:10 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Helogadget
1st thing when I get home is to check the lock out button.
Old 09-06-17, 04:13 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Does it not open from the exterior handle or the interior handle or both? Could be a bad lock motor/servo? There was a post on it somewhere on the SC430 forum. Someone replaced the small motor in the door that controls the unlock/lock function and did a killer DIY. Those motors go bad often. Common issue esp with high heat areas, from what I'm told.
yes it opens from the outside handle, when it is unlocked. The PASS SW does not activate.

Maybe time to tear it down, yes it could be that the connector got loose, I hope so. It just happened recently. When the wife wants to get off the car and she can't, she gives me the look.

Also my remote unlock does not unlock the PASS side. It could be the loose connector. It has a 3 way connection, the local wire (pass) is not actuating.
Old 09-06-17, 07:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Pass side Door switch (lock and unlock), not operational from passenger side, I can unlock and lock from Driver’s side. What’s the typical root cause of this situation?

Pass side door lock-unlock switch malfunction?

Nothing has changed, suddenly about 2 months ago, it quit working. Of course the wife is upset.

Me too, getting shouted at is not good.
i thought you had techstream...if so, run the troubleshooting steps to figure out the problem.
Old 09-06-17, 09:05 AM
mandyfig

Thanks for reminding me. I will plug in the Techstream, will it catch it?
Old 09-06-17, 09:16 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Knowing that the actuator works from the master switch. The only possible problems are wire or passengers door switch. Either way to know for sure the switch and plug will have to be accessed to test them. Visually you'll know if the plug came loose. Multimeter will test the wires and power. Multimeter will test the switch. Plus to fix any of it you'll have to open it up. In this case for me , it's bite the bullet and open it up. Time saver in the long run.
Old 09-06-17, 12:05 PM
mandyfig

Yes time for surgery. It has been a while since I have put the door down. Last job done was the replacement of the speaker (ML 6x9 to Polk 6's) and repair of the tweeter (blue seal repair).
Old 09-06-17, 12:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Yes time for surgery. It has been a while since I have put the door down. Last job done was the replacement of the speaker (ML 6x9 to Polk 6's) and repair of the tweeter (blue seal repair).
are you going to rebuild the actuator while you have the door apart?
Old 09-06-17, 01:13 PM
mandyfig

I am hoping that I find a loose connection on the 3 way switch of the passenger side and that’s all the repair I will do. The actuator works. I remember reading this kind of finding and repair, just can not pin it down.
Old 09-06-17, 02:49 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am hoping that I find a loose connection on the 3 way switch of the passenger side and that’s all the repair I will do. The actuator works. I remember reading this kind of finding and repair, just can not pin it down.
Here is the Link - Harold57 did a great job along with others:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...removal-2.html

Quick Reply: Passenger side inside switch not operational