Assistance needed for ATF drain & refill on 02 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 09:57 PM
locoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assistance needed for ATF drain & refill on 02 SC430

Hi all,
Could someone point me to the location of the ATF drain plug on the 02 SC430? Is it on the driver side on the bottom of the pan?
Is it a hex or regular 14mm bolt?
I used the searched function and couldnt find a nice pic or driagram.
Thanks if advance

Last edited by locoli; 09-27-17 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 08:51 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by locoli
Hi all,
Could someone point me to the location of the ATF drain plug on the 02 SC430? Is it on the driver side on the bottom of the pan?
Is it a hex or regular 14mm bolt?
I used the searched function and couldnt find a nice pic or driagram.
Thanks if advance
Just find the bolt on the bottom of the transmission pan. If you still are not sure take a pic of the pan with your phone, post it here and we will point it out.

also, check out this link...it will allow you to change all of the fluid at once.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...rain-plug.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-27-17 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 02:51 PM
locoli
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for replying. Is this it? Is this the tranny drain bolt used to drain & refill the ATF?

I drained it several years ago & remembered it was a hex bolt, maybe my mechanic change it to a regular 14mm bolt?
Old 09-27-17, 05:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that is the drain plug. It should also have a magnet if I remember correctly.

just my opinion but I drain and refill every 12k-15k Miles.

i use Valvoline MaxLife ATF others will only use Toyota ATF.
New vs used...change it often and your transmission will last a long time!!
The following users liked this post:
locoli (09-27-17)
Old 09-27-17, 09:53 PM
locoli
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate your help! I drained about 3 quarts, refilled with 3 quarts.
Old 10-13-17, 10:24 AM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been told by several people NEVER flush a transmission, because it ruins them. I ALWAYS flush my transmissions. Think about it... When do most people decide to get a transmission flush? Yep... After it starts slipping and the clutches are worn out, or the fluid is so saturated with moisture that the internals have started to stick and corrode. If you change fluid with a tranny on it's way out it is like putting a band aid on a bullet wound.

I prefer to have a "flush" done at either a dealership or a reputable lube shop. Both have the proper equipment to do a fluid exchange with the vehicle running and will get 95+% of the fluid out of the transmission, cooler and convertor. Toyota has the right fluid and can do a Lexus, and Toyota has what most Lexus dealerships don't. Coupons. Did our SC430 for about $200. Got the right fluid, and I didn't have to pay for individual quarts or haul the old stuff off to recycle.

Dropping the pan and doing a few quarts every time never made any sense to me because of the efficacy of that whole operation. If you have a 13 quart capacity, why would you spend the labor hours to drain the quarts of old fluid and add 3 quarts of new fluid? After a drain and fill you'd have 3 quarts of old fluid contaminated by 10 quarts of the old stuff. I wouldn't change my engine oil that way and feel good about it. ATF is highly hydroscopic. It loves moisture and attracts it and at least with a fluid exchange or flush you know you've done your best at eliminating as much of it as possible.

I did have a vehicle I had to "home" flush because of it's age no shop wanted to touch. My grandmother had an 89 Accord with 80k I acquired a couple years ago. Shifted hard but didn't slip. Pulled cooler lines and attached the return line to an jug (looked like an IV) and the other line dumping into a 5 gallon bucket. Filled jug with quarts continually and had my son changing gears. After it ran red and clear, hooked up lines and filled to spec. Shifted like silk.

Just my 2 cents of course but had to share.
Old 10-13-17, 04:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
I've been told by several people NEVER flush a transmission, because it ruins them. I ALWAYS flush my transmissions. Think about it... When do most people decide to get a transmission flush? Yep... After it starts slipping and the clutches are worn out, or the fluid is so saturated with moisture that the internals have started to stick and corrode. If you change fluid with a tranny on it's way out it is like putting a band aid on a bullet wound.

I prefer to have a "flush" done at either a dealership or a reputable lube shop. Both have the proper equipment to do a fluid exchange with the vehicle running and will get 95+% of the fluid out of the transmission, cooler and convertor. Toyota has the right fluid and can do a Lexus, and Toyota has what most Lexus dealerships don't. Coupons. Did our SC430 for about $200. Got the right fluid, and I didn't have to pay for individual quarts or haul the old stuff off to recycle.

Dropping the pan and doing a few quarts every time never made any sense to me because of the efficacy of that whole operation. If you have a 13 quart capacity, why would you spend the labor hours to drain the quarts of old fluid and add 3 quarts of new fluid? After a drain and fill you'd have 3 quarts of old fluid contaminated by 10 quarts of the old stuff. I wouldn't change my engine oil that way and feel good about it. ATF is highly hydroscopic. It loves moisture and attracts it and at least with a fluid exchange or flush you know you've done your best at eliminating as much of it as possible.

I did have a vehicle I had to "home" flush because of it's age no shop wanted to touch. My grandmother had an 89 Accord with 80k I acquired a couple years ago. Shifted hard but didn't slip. Pulled cooler lines and attached the return line to an jug (looked like an IV) and the other line dumping into a 5 gallon bucket. Filled jug with quarts continually and had my son changing gears. After it ran red and clear, hooked up lines and filled to spec. Shifted like silk.

yep, debatable subject. I like to allow the transmission pump in the car to do the flushing not a machine. I also like to drain and refill every 10 to 12,000 miles. My Honda likes new fluid more than my Toyota. I have both

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-14-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 08:02 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaditotx

I completely agree with your logic and have always had my wife's SC flushed and filled. Flush and fill can and usually does cause catastrophic damage on an older transmission where a band is starting slip, etc. I flushed and filled a transmission that was on the decline with lots of miles on it that sent it over the edge, won't do that again.