Old 10-04-17, 08:33 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Old 10-05-17, 02:37 PM
Charliepl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DashingDar, that is PERFECT. I see clearly from your photos what is going on and should be able to modify a fix. Thank you!
Old 08-23-21, 03:04 PM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

Hello Gents I have posted about my roof problems a few days after buying car
spent a depressing week trying to get Techstream purchased an OB2 adapter and the software but disc was blank ? eBay special China
then they sent me the files by email
managed to load Techstream but no bypass key
it asked me to register with Toyota
also no driver for obd2
had to give up after a week of effort and late nights
currently
pressing open button windows open correctly
boot(trunk) opens from rear correctly
roof unlatches from front
Attempts to move about 1 inch and tries but fails to move further
as no Techstream taken roof lining off to ensure full disconnect Confirmed
by applying my shoulder into one side of roof while pressing open a clunk occurred and roof opened completly
closing roof works fine then repeats problem
it appears something mechanical with the hinge mechanism as after clunk with assistance ( not recommended)
the roof is trying but not folding at initial stage only initial attempt and locking not folding
its a devil to acces this motor can anybody help with a drawing of the linkage as I have only see motors on eBay
how can I access it as looks like back seat top removal then still difficult
a drawing would be a big help

Last edited by Kjc; 08-23-21 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 05:28 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 403 Posts

watch this video and tell us at what time your roof stops working (or take a video of your roof opening and post it)
Old 08-23-21, 05:47 PM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

The problem occurs at 12 seconds into the Video
the roof front does unhook and is free to move back verified this by removing roof lining
the roof goes back just 1 inch and stops
no hinge movement to start folding the roof
i don't think it free to travel maybe some latch is stuck near motors
need a mechanical schematic
by applying shoulder pressure to the arm pushing back it frees off with a clunk and operates fully open
any info how to acces the motor and operating arm appreciated
thanks
Old 08-23-21, 05:48 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
watch this video and tell us at what time your roof stops working (or take a video of your roof opening and post it)
https://youtu.be/mKVIPabaRMc
He said the trunk opened, the roof unlatched but only moved an inch and stopped. Sounded like one of the roof mechanism has failed, not sure left or right side. Without TechStream, it’s difficult to tell.
Kjc, please use punctuation marks in your sentences like comma and period, so we can understand your problem better.
Old 08-23-21, 06:03 PM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

That's what I think buddy
I could do with some mechanical diagram and the best procedure to access the mechanism.
As I cannot tell whether the right or left side is the issue I need to compare them both in operation.
I expect something is falling to unlatch.
when it's closing the mechanism work very smoothly.
Old 08-23-21, 07:42 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

"Confirmed by applying my shoulder into one side of roof while pressing open a clunk occurred and roof opened completly"
Good job getting it to open. Now get it to the half way point and start inspecting. One thing you could try is let the top open the "one inch", then take a measurement at each corner. The side closest to the windshield deserves extra time looking it over. Because thats the side that stopped first.
You should also access the left/right motors, take a mallot and screwdriver and give them a few good taps. Try opening/closing roof after each "reset". I call it reset because it has been proven that sometimes, its just the brushes inside the motor can get gummed up a little and need to be shaken up a little. Especially if the top isn't operated regularly. Plus, Its a heck of a lot easier that changing a motor. That I can promise you.

Although changing a L/R motor is not a big deal. You can do it in an hour if you have done one before. You need to cut down an L Shaped Allen Wrench due to clearance between one stupid screw on the motor and the hinge. But.. Is this truely a motor issue or hinge issue? Have you tried to read the codes from a code reader at the Auto Parts store? Its almost always free.

Paul
Old 08-24-21, 02:21 AM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Paul you actually get the issue I will measure the distance as I did notice a small difference yesterday ,it isn't much.
I am leaving all covers etc off in the boot and when resolved I will major clean / lubricate all moving parts it deserves a birthday after 17 years
it may well be a bushes or linkage / hinge problem
I am starting to zoom in on the area which is positive,we don't have the facility to pop into local car parts suplier
to obtain a code.
The lowest price is about 250 dollars just to get a code from a garage but not main dealer.
I will pursue the obd2 driver software and the fix for the pirate textstream Software on a windows 7 laptop I have.
95% sure it's a mechanical / motor issue
thanks again
Kevin
Old 08-24-21, 10:19 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raven01750
You should also access the left/right motors, take a mallot and screwdriver and give them a few good taps. Try opening/closing roof after each "reset". I call it reset because it has been proven that sometimes, its just the brushes inside the motor can get gummed up a little and need to be shaken up a little. Especially if the top isn't operated regularly.

I would try this. It sounds like you took out the trunk carpet already. If so, that is great. It is not hard, but still probably the hardest part.

Any chance your car was rear ended? Sometimes the hinges shift and that causes binding in the mechanicals
Old 08-24-21, 10:22 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Paul, does it sounds like a package tray issue to u (not retracting, thus halting the sequence), or the fact he can "shoulder jam" it indicates motor resistance?
Old 08-24-21, 10:58 AM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

Hi Gents made good progress today, before I started accessing the main roof motors I had a good visual comparison between left and right sides , I noticed the gap was larger at the front latch area on the passenger side by about 1 cm
this was a recommend check by you guys
I then semi forced the roof open halfway and noticed the left release latch in the roof, which allows folding was in a different position On the passenger side (closed position)

The side with the larger gap at the front top was in the open position correct.
The passenger side also had a load of additional grease which I then suspected previous owner had issues.
I moved the latch brackets and it was free.
under the bonnet traced the cable to a toggle assembly with 2 cables, compared this with the drivers side toggle and they were in opposite position......
I found the cable from toggle to motor was seized and actually snapped...
Result
Partly disconnected motor linkage assembly to allow cable removal
struggling with part number at present as called two main agents and they were not great
ongoing to find the part number tomorrow
keeping all trim off until final fix
I do believe the roof management was detecting inbalance between motor load so hopefully the motor has been protected
i found the cable internally very rusty due to condensation and lack of use in UK weather, After 17 years this is expected.
i have learned a lot about operation of the roof so hopefully I will get the part and give all the linkages a good clean and lubrication
thanks to everybody
also to Lee who sent me some links to sort techstream out.
Old 08-24-21, 12:29 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

When looking for part numbers I usually start with the site (the forum keeps breaking the link I will try to text it to you).

Example: For the cable and a 2002 they list part number 63224-24040 for both sides.

Hope that helps,
lee

Last edited by oneround; 08-24-21 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 04:04 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Is this the part you are looking for?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124831975...0AAOSw20JZggmf
Old 08-24-21, 04:19 PM
Kjc
Driver School Candidate

Evening buddy the eBay link is for the front roof latches these are working fine, my issue is wth passenger side rear latch not releasing preventing retraction of the roof.
It is operated by a cable from the boot,this cable is ok and goes through a toggle plate which is pulled by another cable that goes to the motor this cable is snapped due to corrosion.
i believe Lee has the numbers but due to lexus diagrams being very poor I have yet to see a clear picture of the cable
even the dealer exploded drawings are poor
I will chase this up with main agents in Liverpool and Chester tomorrow.
many thanks for your time and effort.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?