Leom257
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The navi disc ejects.
Old 12-14-17, 08:12 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Everything you have described is what happens when the IEBUS network cable has been removed. The radio is the central part of the entire system and if the IEbus is disconnected from there, everything else stops working.

The LCD will display a LEXUS logo with a brown background and then shut off after about 3 seconds if it cannot communicate over the IEbus.
The radio would not produce any sound because the amp is controlled over the IEbus for the volume, etc... though it would appear to work otherwise.

So... this is going to depend a bit on your year of SC430, but I am guessing you have a <2005 because those use the center connector on the back of the radio with only two wires coming out of it. This where your IEBus is connected. That is likely loose or not connected. Later model yearts put the IEBus on the main power connector and left the center connector unpopulated. It would be a common mistake for a technician used to working on newer cars to think there is no cable connected in the middle.

They also would have had to remove your radio to work on the TPMS receiver.

If it is not the cable on the back of the radio, check the cables on your climate control as well since it loops through there, too.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-15-17 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Edited to be more clear
The following 2 users liked this post by Retroplay:
Leom257 (12-14-17), Touaregman (08-05-23)
Old 12-14-17, 08:44 PM
Leom257
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much! My car is a 2003 SC430.
Old 12-15-17, 03:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Everything you have described is what happens when the IEBUS network cable has been removed. The radio is the central part of the entire system and if the IEbus is disconnected from there, everything else stops working.

The LCD will display a LEXUS logo with a brown background and then shut off after about 3 seconds if it cannot communicate over the IEbus.
The radio would not produce any sound because the amp is controlled over the IEbus for the volume, etc... though it would appear to work otherwise.

So... this is going to depend a bit on your year of SC430, but I am guessing you have a <2005 because those use the center connector on the back of the radio with only two wires coming out of it. This where your IEBus is connected. That is likely loose or not connected. Later model yearts put the IEBus on the main power connector and left the center connector unpopulated. It would be a common mistake for a technician used to working on newer cars to think there is no cable connected in the middle.

They also would have had to remove your radio to work on the TPMS receiver.

If it is not the cable on the back of the radio, check the cables on your climate control as well since it loops through there, too.
hi retro! Hope all is well, sure has been a while since you last posted!
your knowledge still amazes me! Great description...what puzzles me is why would they go into this area just to replace a TPMS sensor, unless they did the TPMS disconnect procedure vs replacing the sensor.
i have a feeling they disabled the TPMS and if that is the case, the owner is dealing with a shady dealer.

Leom, if you can do one of a couple of things to check this out.

1. To see if the TPMS is operational, let out about 10psi from one of your tires or,
2. Refer to the TPMS disable procedure in the stickies, using this procedure, you can check to see if the dealer disabled the TPMS.

here is the TPMS procedure...it’s very easy. Also, look for loose connections. Start at post 20...no Tools are required.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...pm-system.html

this video will show you how to remove those two pieces...the guy has a tool but it is not required...be gentle and you will be fine.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-15-17 at 10:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bgw70:
Jabberwock (12-17-17), Leom257 (12-15-17), Touaregman (08-05-23)
Old 12-15-17, 04:27 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I may have assumed incorrectly, but I thought the OP mentioned the TPMS receiver was replaced. That is below the radio in the center console. If it were just the sensors, then they had no reason to be in the center console. Either way, the symptoms sound exactly like if the IEbus is disconnected.
The following 2 users liked this post by Retroplay:
Leom257 (12-15-17), Touaregman (08-05-23)
Old 12-15-17, 05:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I may have assumed incorrectly, but I thought the OP mentioned the TPMS receiver was replaced. That is below the radio in the center console. If it were just the sensors, then they had no reason to be in the center console. Either way, the symptoms sound exactly like if the IEbus is disconnected.
good point Retro, I must have misunderstood...here are the words, “I just had my TPMS replaced. Do you think they forgot to connect something? Sorry, not experienced with this problem.”

i took that as a sensor in the wheel but now see your point and how it could have could have been the system receiver in the center console. Man, I am getting old, LoL

anyway, I guess opening up the center console is in order to take a look. Either by Leom or the dealer.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-15-17 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Leom257 (12-15-17)
Old 12-15-17, 08:01 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Man, I am getting old, LoL.
Same here.

But it may have been me that misunderstood.
Leom257 (12-15-17)
Old 12-15-17, 09:46 AM
Leom257
Driver School Candidate

Y'all were right. It was a disconnected iebus network cable. Navi and radio are all working now as it should. The tire low light is on now, and I'm beginning to suspect they unplugged the cable on purpose to turn off the TPMS light. Anyhow, that's another issue for an different post.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Couldn't have done it without you! I love my Lexus again, lol.
Touaregman (08-05-23)
Old 12-15-17, 10:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Leom257
Y'all were right. It was a disconnected iebus network cable. Navi and radio are all working now as it should. The tire low light is on now, and I'm beginning to suspect they unplugged the cable on purpose to turn off the TPMS light. Anyhow, that's another issue for an different post.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Couldn't have done it without you! I love my Lexus again, lol.
that is good news!!! Retro called it, he really knows his stuff!

so just wondering, did you bring the car in to the dealer because the TPMS light was on?
and did you think they replaced a sensor?

with that said, it sounds like you may need a TPMS sensor since the light it on...I made a thread about programming a new TPMS sensor to your car. See the link below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...02-2006-a.html
Jabberwock (12-17-17)
Old 12-15-17, 01:13 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leom257

Hmm. That is a bit strange. The TPMS doesn't have anything directly to do with the IEBus. It is on the BEAN network. I have no idea how the two would interfere, but that's great that you got it working!
Old 12-15-17, 01:15 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
that is good news!!! Retro called it, he really knows his stuff!

so just wondering, did you bring the car in to the dealer because the TPMS light was on?
and did you think they replaced a sensor?

with that said, it sounds like you may need a TPMS sensor since the light it on...I made a thread about programming a new TPMS sensor to your car. See the link below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...02-2006-a.html

I bookmarked your helpful tutorial as I will be using it soon. I am pretty sure that I have a sensor out. It also re-ignited my interest in building something to read out the TPMS sensors to watch the pressure/temp and know which wheel is low. If only I could find the time!
Jabberwock (12-17-17)