Getting to SC430's lights ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 03:16 AM
vx430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to SC430's lights ...

Hello members,

Thanks so much for the replies last time for the fog light spec. I was wondering if anyone had actually replaced the fog light bulbs themselves. I was looking for a way to get to them but there seems to be no access. I ask the dealer's techies and they said you have to take the bumper off which sounded more like B/S. They also want $ 260 if they did it for me.

My SLK had a little access door on the inner sider of the bumper which leads directly to the fog lights. Is there an easier way in on the SC? And also on the corner lights, the engine compartment seemed quite packed, is there a way to get to them too without too much removing of other parts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-03, 08:30 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I took one look at the headlamp assembly and decided to let the professionals change out my bulbs.
There is a thread out there that you can reach the side lights by turning the wheels and removing the wheel well skirt.

On that subject, I replaced my fog lamps (H3), side markers (168), day runner / high beams (9005s) to PIAAs. The fog lamps are Ion Crystal (more yellow) and the others are Xtreme White.

I found that the low beams aren't much whiter (but the high beams are better). The marker bulbs are blue, which is a little chintzy-looking, and their color is not exactly white, either. But they definitely beat the factory ones.

Sounds like time for more pictures and details...
Old 06-26-03, 07:39 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

I was able to change both the parking light wedge type 168 bulb in the headlight and the foglight bulbs. The parking light is pretty easy, just turn your tire one way & unscrew the plastic wheel well molding. Peel back the black plastic and you can reachin and unscrew the sockets.

The foglights are a real b***** to get to & change. I tried twice but was unsuccessful. After a final third try I got it! I jacked up the car in the front and unscrewed like 8 black plastic screws on each side. Then you have to reach in behind where the foglight is and pop out the spring it is held in by. If you have large hands this is extremely difficult, small hands are best. The bulbs are H3 and are a b**** to replace also. You need to replace them fully and screw in the socket before you test them & they should work. My neck heard so much & I got alot of dirt in my eye but it was worth it cuz the bulbs I used match the stock HIDs almost perfect. Our stock are 4300K and the bulbs I used were 4150K.

I highly recommend using the PIAA XTREME white H3 12V - 55W model H-212 bulb. I'll post pics soon. On ebay they will run you about $60/pair. well worth it. Do not buy some cheap $10 bulb!!

I have not touched the haedlight, highbeam or turn signal yet & I will leave them alone. Good Luck!!!
Old 06-26-03, 10:41 PM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by JerseySC
I was able to change both the parking light wedge type 168 bulb in the headlight and the foglight bulbs. The parking light is pretty easy, just turn your tire one way & unscrew the plastic wheel well molding. Peel back the black plastic and you can reachin and unscrew the sockets.

The foglights are a real b***** to get to & change. I tried twice but was unsuccessful. After a final third try I got it! I jacked up the car in the front and unscrewed like 8 black plastic screws on each side. Then you have to reach in behind where the foglight is and pop out the spring it is held in by. If you have large hands this is extremely difficult, small hands are best. The bulbs are H3 and are a b**** to replace also. You need to replace them fully and screw in the socket before you test them & they should work. My neck heard so much & I got alot of dirt in my eye but it was worth it cuz the bulbs I used match the stock HIDs almost perfect. Our stock are 4300K and the bulbs I used were 4150K.

I highly recommend using the PIAA XTREME white H3 12V - 55W model H-212 bulb. I'll post pics soon. On ebay they will run you about $60/pair. well worth it. Do not buy some cheap $10 bulb!!

I have not touched the haedlight, highbeam or turn signal yet & I will leave them alone. Good Luck!!!
What are my options for real HID fogs? Something thats bright but not too blue .. 6000K perhaps??
Old 06-30-03, 03:04 AM
vx430
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the advice!

Hi Anti & Jersey,

Thank you both so much for the valuable advice. It was a hugh undertaking after all and I know understand why the dealer wanted to charge me for it but it took me a few hours and figured it all out. I didn't realize that so much crap got stuck under my car. Anyway, thank you both so much, and you are right, the time is well worth it : )
Old 02-16-10, 11:30 PM
roadrage
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerseySC

Hey JerseySC,

do you have a picture of your car with the PiAA Xtreme's on? My fog light went out. Looking for a good bulb. Thanks!