SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 07:07 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Next test: while sitting in the car with the door closed. Start the car, move the window manually, now, WITHOUT opening the door, shut off the car, try to move the window up and down. The ECU supplies power to the switch and then the regulator for about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off IF the door is not opened.

If it doesn’t work it’s another indicator of a potential ECU issue, but it could be continuity or wiring issues too. Which points us back to proprietary DTC codes, which begin at “B1211” and go all the way up to “B2555”. The codes are pretty good pointing out the problem. The good news is these are plug n play component(s) for the most part once the fault is identified. Just labor to get to them.​​

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-29-18 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 11:05 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More info please

Could you please tell us more about your car... .mileage ... daily driver ... problems....year bought and price...where where and how did you find out about these amazing vehicles;...thanx from an obsessesessedd sc430 owner ;;;
Old 01-30-18, 12:01 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so I tried the window up and down 3 times, no change. The windows do go all the way down and all the way up. Also after the car is turned off, with the key still in, the windows won't operate at all. This would be just after turning the ignition off and trying to operate the windows.

I've had the car for a couple years, not really a daily driver. It has 105k on it, I've only put 5k on in the time I've had it.
Old 01-30-18, 12:16 PM
VVTiBob

Ok go back to post #8 I added a second procedure to try. But with the window not working after the ignition is turned off, not working from the key fob or the outside door lock, it’s pointing to wiring and/or DOOR ECU(s) problems. The best way to ID the issue is the get the proprietary DTC Lexus trouble codes and that means a dealer or someone with Techstream and TIS for solutions.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-30-18 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 01:19 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob, I'll look into getting someone to try and see if there are any codes.
Old 01-30-18, 05:36 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Why is the OP getting no red light when attempting top operation? Shouldn't that be happening regardless of any subsequent problem with the windows?
Old 01-30-18, 07:01 PM
VVTiBob

Well there are a number reasons in no particular order:
1. Open/Close switch on the air conditioning control panel has failed
2. Disconnected/shorted wire harness
3. Sliding Roof ECU failure
4. CAN bus communication failure

I have some concerns about the wiring since OP mentioned radio change and “they hacked the wiring for that.” I don’t know what was done or how bad. But as I mentioned before, getting the proprietary DTC touble codes should point out the trouble area.
Old 01-31-18, 05:14 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well there are a number reasons in no particular order:
1. Open/Close switch on the air conditioning control panel has failed
2. Disconnected/shorted wire harness
3. Sliding Roof ECU failure
4. CAN bus communication failure

I have some concerns about the wiring since OP mentioned radio change and “they hacked the wiring for that.” I don’t know what was done or how bad. But as I mentioned before, getting the proprietary DTC touble codes should point out the trouble area.
Agreed. I think the window may be a side issue or red herring. It seems like the whole chain begins with the press of the switch which should turn red and the window is farther downstream. Although it is interesting that both failed at the same time, so maybe interconnected in some way. Assuming these both did fail at the exact same time, it suggests looking for a single issue that would cause both.
Old 01-31-18, 10:45 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Why is the OP getting no red light when attempting top operation? Shouldn't that be happening regardless of any subsequent problem with the windows?
I recently wrote a post about how my top failed due to a bad motor. When I pushed the button, there was no red light. I know it is a bad motor because techstream gave me the code.

I think the red light is an indicator that something is wrong that you can fix.

I think no light/no action is due to a failure in the self check of the system.
The following users liked this post:
Jksc (06-14-19)
Old 06-11-19, 05:37 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I've got 2006 model and my top stopped opening. I got the car 3+ years ago. The windows go down and the trunk retreats but the top doesn't move back. I followed most of the advises here and finally took it to the dealer and they gave me the code of BY001 (LR Link Assy for Hard top) with an estimate of almost $5K including the replacement of the part 63022-24010 (Strength Sub-Assy, R).

I love the car and I'm hoping if there is any other way besides the dealer to fix it. I live in Denver, CO. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-19, 06:58 PM
VVTiBob

Hmmmm...propriety roof codes are B2501 to B2554 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...of-dtcs001.pdf. So the first thing is to get clarification on the code. Maybe one of our members with a 2006 or newer can chime in if there are newer codes I’m unaware of.
If the hinge is done, as mine was, that is a valid quote. Fortunately mine was 100% covered under an extended warranty.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-11-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 03:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiRam
Hello. I've got 2006 model and my top stopped opening. I got the car 3+ years ago. The windows go down and the trunk retreats but the top doesn't move back. I followed most of the advises here and finally took it to the dealer and they gave me the code of BY001 (LR Link Assy for Hard top) with an estimate of almost $5K including the replacement of the part 63022-24010 (Strength Sub-Assy, R).

I love the car and I'm hoping if there is any other way besides the dealer to fix it. I live in Denver, CO. Thanks in advance.
I would go this route...$5k is outrageous.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-02-10...ry!32955!US!-1
Old 06-12-19, 02:40 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiRam

That's a bummer your top stopped working. What did the dealer tell you exactly? It is important that we know EXACTLY what they diagnosed the problem as. Like BOB said, we are looking for a code that starts with a B25**.

Usually if they say it is a hinge problem, they says they need to replace both hinges and it is $3500-ish. I think their theory is that if one motor wears out, that means all of the motors are close to their end of life.

I think that is the way to go, but you don't have to go to the dealer. If you call an independent Lexus Repair shop, they may be willing to tackle the job for you.

You can buy a matching pair of 06 hinges from these guys for about $430. It took me about 6 hours to replace mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-SC430-DR...ry!85012!US!-1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-SC430-DR...af91fc3a643d8e

It is a little time consuming, but not hard
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...etty-easy.html
Old 06-12-19, 08:26 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Hmmmm...propriety roof codes are B2501 to B2554 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...of-dtcs001.pdf. So the first thing is to get clarification on the code. Maybe one of our members with a 2006 or newer can chime in if there are newer codes I’m unaware of.
If the hinge is done, as mine was, that is a valid quote. Fortunately mine was 100% covered under an extended warranty.
Thank you, Bob; I'm trying to validate the code with the dealership. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-12-19, 08:31 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I would go this route...$5k is outrageous.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-02-10...ry!32955!US!-1
Thank you, will check this out. Unfortunately I don't trust my skills to take this up on my own ☹️ so will have to find an independent shop that can do this.

Quick Reply: Top not working