SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 05:00 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default This is the correct way-see photo

Hi,

After reading what Shawn and others told me, please see the attached new photo with the Grommet installed correctly!!! After letting the Dupont Krytok soften for 2-days-- This morning I was determined to get the Grommet over the Lip of the firewall opening! This is not an easy task since you need to pull hard on the Grommet while twisting it left and right until all is sealed all around! Pulling on the plastic nipple is a must in order to leverage while pulling until it seats!

Also, I ordered some tape and will wrap around Grommet for security from it moving again! I will be water test on Saturday to see if the Fuse box gets any moisture! Fingers crossedXX this works.

Thanks again to all the members of CL for help and support!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!-img_3045.jpg  
Old 02-08-18, 06:00 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Forgot to thank VVTIBOB

Hi,

Forgot to give a shout out to VVTIBOB who posted that my initial installation of Grommet was not correct, Grommet has to be outside! Previous photo show that done!

B-
Old 02-08-18, 12:17 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....glad that you were able to find that grommet !!! It had been a couple of years since Shawn & I looked for his leak and I just couldn't remember if it was a factory grommet or one he installed for his wiring. I hope that this fix your issue and I was able to get you in the right direction......fingers crossed !!

Last edited by texsexlex; 02-08-18 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (02-08-18)
Old 02-17-18, 03:31 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Not good news

After securing the Grommet on the Firewall behind the Battery, I also used Silicone around Grommet, result my electrical problem is no better than day one!

Yesterday, i hand car washed the SC430, the electrical problem has not been fixed!! For sure, I am my very concerned!

I checked all inside Fuse Boxes after washing the car, no Water. Also, Checked Driver and Passenger floor boards, no Water on Carpets. Note, yesterday when I went to test Key/Remote to see if I fixed the problem, the Control Display for the Heating/Cooling display lighted up on its own, also the GPS Door opened and lighted up all on its own , this has happened in the past! Note, all those lights are on with Car is off, no key in Car!

What to do next? I am ready to give up!

For sure Water is the issue, Water could be leaking somewhere on Windshield? I believe the Windshield was replaced at one point in time, that did not show up on any of my
Lexus records.....
As I look back when I got the car with 14K miles, I found a piece of Glass under the Driver Seat, that piece of Glass was thick! The past owner must have used a 3rd party to replace the Windshield! The current Glass is branded Lexus and looks like Factory OEM.

I believe my only choice now is to repair and or replace the Windshield?

Question, Would you have the windshield removed and re-installed, or put a new one on? Not sure if repair person would only remove and repair?

What would you do next? i only have 18K miles..Love the Car, obvious this is a PITA!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 02-17-18, 06:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

A windshield is a huge replacement cost when you are only guessing that might be the problem. Before that type of expense, it may be time to take it to the dealer for diagnosis.
Old 02-17-18, 07:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Just talked to

Hi,

My Neighbor installs for Safelight. I saw him this morning on his way to work. He took a look at my Front Glass, hard to say if it was ever replaced since original OEM Glass is installed! When I told him I found a piece of Glass in the car months ago, he said it is also possible it was the Driver Door, but again, that has OEM.

He is going to check with his fellow techs who install glass, also look in a database to see if there is any notes regarding our SC430's?

Also, I decided to further investigate the Driver side Firewall, there is 1 very Large Grommet there, I made sure it was seated better and put silicone on it.

Again, any thoughts please shoot them to me!

Attached is the photo of the Driver side Grommet, You can see there is a gap and it is not seated properly, however not sure if my fix this morning will work. Car currently in Garage, and remote system is not working, by 6pm tonight it should start working again, CMTSU!

Also, I took a Hair dryer to both fuse boxes on driver and passenger side hoping to speed up the drying time if there was water or moisture, NO GO!

Has anybody recently replaced their Front Windshield?? If sop did you do OEM and or Aftermarket?? Cost if you did??

B-

Thanks all!
B0b
Attached Thumbnails Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!-img_3071.jpg  
Old 02-17-18, 07:20 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
A windshield is a huge replacement cost when you are only guessing that might be the problem. Before that type of expense, it may be time to take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Hi Johnny, you are probably correct on taking it to Lexus. Lexus has troubleshooted multiple time, HOWEVER NEVER FOR WATER!!! That is when they replace both Actuators!
I did tell them every time it wads after i washed the Car, I am no Tech, however they never even checked for water!

I just posted also what happened this morning!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 02-17-18, 08:12 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

The Lexus OEM windshield is crazy expensive, maybe four or fives times the cost. My front windshield was replaced once, by safelite, when the original one was cracked by a stone. No issues and it’s a generic glass replacement. It has the same shading scheme and built-in auxiliary radio antenna.

This is very curious, i.e. the intermittent nature. Do you have the ability to divide the car into water tight quadrants? The get it wet while testing the remote. What I mean is to tarp off the hood taping it to the windshield, or under the hood so no water can penetrate then test. Then tarp off the backend and repeat the test. We need to narrow down to an area due to the number of locations where, what seems to be a very small amount of water can affect electronics. Another thought would be disconnecting the battery before washing, then get the car wet, reconnect and test. Yes I know, sounds like a lot of work but sadly is the nature of intermittent problems.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-17-18 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 09:10 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Will Do!

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The Lexus OEM windshield is crazy expensive, maybe four or fives times the cost. My front windshield was replaced once, by safelite, when the original one was cracked by a stone. No issues and it’s a generic glass replacement. It has the same shading scheme and built-in auxiliary radio antenna.

This is very curious, i.e. the intermittent nature. Do you have the ability to divide the car into water tight quadrants? The get it wet while testing the remote. What I mean is to tarp off the hood taping it to the windshield, or under the hood so no water can penetrate then test. Then tarp off the backend and repeat the test. We need to narrow down to an area due to the number of locations where, what seems to be a very small amount of water can affect electronics. Another thought would be disconnecting the battery before washing, then get the car wet, reconnect and test. Yes I know, sounds like a lot of work but sadly is the nature of intermittent problems.
Hi VVTiBob,

I have 2 Tarps, when the car goes back to normal, I will test as you described!! Maybe cover the Glass first and taping the Tarp just beyond the first seal on the front of Roof. Wash top of engine Hood area and L/R Fenders. If all is good, then remove Tarp off Glass, then wash that area. Moving on to other quadrants as you mentioned if need be!

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-17-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 09:15 AM
VVTiBob

Two suspect areas:
  • “wireless door lock receiver” located inside the rear view mirror
  • theft deterrent ECU located driver’s side A pillar
The signal from your key goes through air to the receiver, and is transmitted to the theft deterrent ECU, then to the door ECUs, then locks, and/or switch-windows.
That leads to another question. When it’s not working for the doors are all other functions, trunk, panic alarm, remote windows working? What about the mechanical functions at the drivers side key lock, i.e. inserting the key, turn and hold to lower the window?

Old 02-17-18, 10:19 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Thanks here is the answers to your great questions!

Hi VVTiBob and thanks for your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When all fails:

1-Panic Alarm does not function from Keyfob, Does works manual from inside car
2-Remote Trunk does not operate from the Keyfob/works manually from inside car
3-Door actuators work manually, no sticking from door actuators..
4- just tested and the key will open and close the windows when inserted in the Driver Door Lock via the turn and hold until window rolls up and or down!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Bob
Old 02-17-18, 10:47 AM
VVTiBob

Ok that leads to another question. Have you had any problem with the ignition switch? When a key is inserted into the ignition switch, the door buzzers sounds and some wireless key fob functions are disabled. Same with the transmission interlock.
DTC (trouble code) B1242 will be stored if there is a problem with the receiver, wire harness or theft deterrent ECU.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-17-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 11:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Hi Bob

No problem when inserting Master Key, all works fine! When Key is inserted into Car, no buzzer sounds, and when the system works no other issues or codes, when I have failures, no codes in TechStream noted, Also Dealer has no codes!

B-
Old 02-17-18, 01:32 PM
VVTiBob

No door buzzer dings when the key is inserted and the door is open? Did you have that turned off in LPS?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-17-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 03:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Buzzer

Hi

No Buzzer when opening the Doors. Since day 1 of owning the Car, buzzer has never went off when opening door! Not sure if it was turned off by Lexus, previous owner?

Thanks!
Bob

Quick Reply: Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!