SC430 Top problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 10:35 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
I store stuff in there, techstream,
Though I think you are on the right track, maybe you want to scan your car with techstream before you go to far.

The Top Codes are only present when techstream is running and you push the Convertible top button. Otherwise it does not store your codes.

The following users liked this post:
MikeSC430D (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 02:29 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give it a try. First, I just wish to see the components.
Old 09-16-19, 11:52 AM
PrinLexa
Driver School Candidate

Having issues with my 2004, SC430 top too. Went to open it and it froze with the trunk open backwards. Would not continue to open or close. I lifted and replaced the luggage cover multiple times. No go. My son had to come out and forced it to shut. My mechanic checked fuses none blown, no codes either. He disconnected the battery but maybe not long enough. He was able to close little side windows and I now have to open trunk from glove box. I will take it back to my mechanic to have button pushed while trying to get codes. Any other thoughts? I absolutely love this car.
Old 09-16-19, 12:14 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Codes can only be read during operation of the roof once you shut down the car they are lost. So you are correct your mechanic will need to capture them when the roof is in motion. This PDF document will help you and your mechanic. The last pages has all the “B” trouble codes. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...uble-codes.pdf

BTW forcing it closed is not the best idea... your owners manual explains how to work the top manually and safely. Disconnecting the battery for a minute or so is sufficient to reset the ECU.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-16-19 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PrinLexa (09-17-19)
Old 09-16-19, 01:49 PM
VVTiBob

” ....I now have to open trunk from glove box”.
. Wait....the button in the glove box is the valet disable button to prevent a valet from opening the trunk IF you give them the valet key. If that button is activated your top should not move. See this thread....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...nk-access.html

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-16-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-19, 07:07 AM
PrinLexa
Driver School Candidate

VVTiBob Thank you for your quick reply. It was not my idea to force the trunk shut. I went over a deep pothole yesterday, not on purpose and when I got home tried to close button and it worked. I will not open it again until I am at the mechanic's garage. I meant center console pull for trunk. Everything works now.
Old 09-17-19, 07:14 AM
PrinLexa
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the codes, this will be helpfull!
Old 09-17-19, 11:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PrinLexa
I went over a deep pothole yesterday, and when I got home tried to close button and it worked.
You would be surprise how often this gets a top to work (once) But as you have guessed, it is only a temporary fix.
Old 09-20-19, 03:55 PM
jsizemore
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof Problems 2005 SC 430

Hay VVTiBob

I am a newbie and this is my first post and I'm having the same problems. My roof opens but the package shelf stays down and really messes up the procedure. I think I have been lucky because when it fails I have been moving the package shelf by hand and after I move it up and down by hand and turn the car off and back on it will complete the cycle. If I take my car to Advanced Auto Parts (I don't have time to go all the way to the Lexus dealer) and operate the top will their scanner pick up the correct codes.
Old 09-20-19, 04:17 PM
VVTiBob

They may or may not...they are Toyota proprietary codes some scanners pick them up others do not. The roof codes only show during the movement and are not stored past an ignition shutdown. The code definitions are in the pdf doc in post 64 above.
Old 09-22-19, 09:09 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jsizemore
Hay VVTiBob

I am a newbie and this is my first post and I'm having the same problems. My roof opens but the package shelf stays down and really messes up the procedure. I think I have been lucky because when it fails I have been moving the package shelf by hand and after I move it up and down by hand and turn the car off and back on it will complete the cycle. If I take my car to Advanced Auto Parts (I don't have time to go all the way to the Lexus dealer) and operate the top will their scanner pick up the correct codes.
Do a search for "Package tray" or even just "package" and you will find posts related to your particular issue.
Old 07-06-20, 04:56 PM
fnikourazm
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 Lexus SC430 Retractable Top Error Code: B2521:Roof Close Switch (RH)

I am working on a 2005 Lexus SC430 and have fault code B2521 Roof Close Switch (RH). Any help? Also this is my first time registering to a forum.
Old 07-06-20, 05:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by fnikourazm
I am working on a 2005 Lexus SC430 and have fault code B2521 Roof Close Switch (RH). Any help? Also this is my first time registering to a forum.
Plenty of talk on this subject. Do the search on this code or roof switch. Good luck.
Old 07-06-20, 05:58 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 338 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by fnikourazm
Hey. Welcome to the forum. You are right. The B2521 indicates the "limit Switch (Roof Close RH) malfunction. The limit switch in question is mounted in the top corner pillor of the windshield. There is a hole on each corner that you can insert a pencil into. Push the pencil in and out a bunch of times cycling the switch. This "may" get it to work if the switch is just sticky. That particular switch is connected to the "Sliding Top ECU" located in the trunk area. So, the problem could be the switch itself, the wiring to the ECU or the ECU.

Do you know how to use a meter? Are you mechanically inclined?

Paul
Old 07-06-20, 09:02 PM
fnikourazm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raven01750
Hey. Welcome to the forum. You are right. The B2521 indicates the "limit Switch (Roof Close RH) malfunction. The limit switch in question is mounted in the top corner pillor of the windshield. There is a hole on each corner that you can insert a pencil into. Push the pencil in and out a bunch of times cycling the switch. This "may" get it to work if the switch is just sticky. That particular switch is connected to the "Sliding Top ECU" located in the trunk area. So, the problem could be the switch itself, the wiring to the ECU or the ECU.

Do you know how to use a meter? Are you mechanically inclined?

Paul
using a ohm meter i can put on 20k and check resistance, but I still do not know which hole in what corner to push a pencil through. I need legible graphics. Also I dont have a wiring diagram to inspect resistance and/or voltage.

Quick Reply: SC430 Top problems