SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cup Holder Operation and Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 04:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts
Default Cup Holder Operation and Parts

I need to find out if my cup holder is operating normally.

here are the differences between the 2002 and 2007.

2002-push down on the cup holder and it opens along with the cup holder portion unfolding. Ready for a cup, only one touch operation.

2007-push down on the cup holder and it opens but the cup holder portion does not unfold. I have to touch and pull slightly for it to unfold and be ready for a part.

I also need a part for the ashtray. If you reinstall the cup holder ashtray assembly with the ashtray door open, it will break the small arm off the ashtray door gears. This is what happened to the 2007 ashtray door.
Anyone have an ashtray assembly they want to sell?

if y’all need pictures, let me know!
Old 03-09-18, 05:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here are pics of the broken missing arm and how my cup holder looks when I open it.
i used a red arrow to simulate the missing plastic arm. The arm locks the ashtray door closed.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-13-18 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-09-18, 08:51 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Regarding the cup holder. The way your 02 works is correct, all one motion to the open position ready for a cup. Mine was doing the same thing as it became contaminated with spillage from drinks (it’s not a reliable cup holder) over the years and would not open completely without a extra push. At one point it would not even pop open without having to pry it up. The cup holder mechanism itself detaches from the upper trim panel with a couple of screws holding it to the trim piece. After the unit is separated from the trim panel it can be cleaned and lubricated. However, I caution against further dismantling of the cup holder due to loaded springs which would be difficult, or impossible to get back into place. Finally, if yours is so gummed up cleaning doesn’t help the replacement part number is 55620-24030.

Since I had the upper trim opened up, I also cleaned the shift indicator (part #15 in the diagram) which was also filthy. After disconnectiong the gear illumination lamp assembly, the gear selector overlay detaches (clear clips can easily break) from the body of the selector giving you access to the underlying black plastic shift selector cover which is a magnet for debris. A simple cleaning made it look factory fresh. If yours needs cleaning too, make sure the small coin holder door stays in the closed position.
If the latches mechanism for the coin holder comes apart it’s a bit of hassle to get all the components back together but doable. As it happen to me.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-09-18 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-09-18, 09:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bob, I removed the cup holder and soaked it in warm soapy water but it was no help. If I opened the cup holder while I tilt it to the right, the cup holder would completely open. Holding it in a level horizontal position requires a two step process.

BTW, I think I said it in the first post but the cup holders changed in 2006.

a new cup holder assembly retails for $920 LoL
Old 03-09-18, 10:18 AM
VVTiBob

You can find the part number I mentioned for less than $90 new on eBay. It say it works for all SC430 year models. I checked on a few Lexus parts vendors and got different answers with the same part number.
Old 03-09-18, 01:04 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I am okay with the cup holder part, it’s the ashtray gear that is broken.

that red arrow is where a plastic arm should be located.

someone reinstalled the whole assembly with the ashtray door open and it broke the arm off.
i know this because I almost did it on my 2002.
that is what I was referring too when I said they changed the design a little in 2006.
its kind of cool to have a first gen and second gen SC430 because it lets me see all the differences.
i kind of like having two of them!
Old 03-09-18, 01:21 PM
VVTiBob

Sounds like a junk yard cannibalization task, or a used center console on eBay solution.
Old 03-09-18, 06:11 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 486 Likes on 406 Posts

When I got my car the cup holder stuck also. Like bob it took me forever to clean all the soda out of it. Once I did, it opened my more reliably.

Of course if it opens, then there must be some tension somewhere to cause it to do so. Any chance that tension can be adjusted?

Here is a guy in Phoenix selling parts from a 2006-2010. Maybe he can help you. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/p...492778348.html
Old 03-10-18, 06:49 AM
VVTiBob

I’ve had the cup holder mechanism torn down to its components to clean it. There are no adjustment points, just pivot point pins and springs for loading tension.
Old 03-12-18, 09:04 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Prevent coffee and sodas spillage, cheap solution for Lexus SC bad cup holder design. Avoid to disassemble to clean your cup holder.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...p-holders.html
Old 03-13-18, 12:30 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I removed my ashtray long ago. I may have this part for you, BGW70. I will look for it over the next couple days. If not, we can 3D print a replacement.

We need to meet up at some point, anyway now that we live less than an hour apart!
Old 03-13-18, 12:54 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I also fixed my sticking cupholder a long time ago, but I don't remember exactly what it was that caused it. IIRC, there is a little latch that holds it folded which gets released when in the upright position. A spring then pops it open. I believe that the spring was off the plastic piece that holds it under tension. You will need a set of hooks and picks to reach inside the cupholder to work on it. Taking the entire assembly apart is a major PITA.

I have a silicone cellphone holder that has been sitting over my cupholder for years now. I haven't used the cupholders since then (gave up on them). One day, I will finish that replacement cupholder design I started years ago.
Old 03-13-18, 02:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I removed my ashtray long ago. I may have this part for you, BGW70. I will look for it over the next couple days. If not, we can 3D print a replacement.

We need to meet up at some point, anyway now that we live less than an hour apart!
I am not sure if I was describing the issue well enough or you did understand and I misunderstood.
I don’t need the actual ashtray. What I need is the plastic arm that locks the ashtray door closed...the spring on the gears is still attached and is functioning.
The plastic arm attaches to the ashtray door gear.

it would be GREAT to meet up sometime!
I live 30 min North from your office.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-13-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 02:29 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70

I am not sure if I was describing the issue well enough or you did understand.
I don’t need the actual ashtray. What I need is the plastic arm that locks the ashtray door closed...the spring on the gears is still attached and is functioning.
The plastic arm attaches to the ashtray door gear.

Right. I removed my ashtray so therefore I have the part (the arm) you need somewhere in my boxes. I know exactly what you are talking about. It has a small metal pin that rides inside that grove. It has a quarter gear on one end that meshes with the dampener gear. It is rather fragile (the original one in my car was broken, too.)

I have no desire to put the ashtray back in, so the part is yours. The space has been planned for USB sockets and other controls. I smoke, but never in my car.

If I don't have it anymore, it would take just a couple of hours to design and 3D print a new one.

Last edited by Retroplay; 03-13-18 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 07:04 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Right. I removed my ashtray so therefore I have the part (the arm) you need somewhere in my boxes. I know exactly what you are talking about. It has a small metal pin that rides inside that grove. It has a quarter gear on one end that meshes with the dampener gear. It is rather fragile (the original one in my car was broken, too.)

I have no desire to put the ashtray back in, so the part is yours. The space has been planned for USB sockets and other controls. I smoke, but never in my car.

If I don't have it anymore, it would take just a couple of hours to design and 3D print a new one.
once again Retro! You are da man! Thank you in advance for the offer!
it would certainly be fantastic!
i am going to pull the 2002 and compare it to the 2007. I briefly had them both out the other day and seem to think the design may have changed slightly.
i can tell you that I almost broke the 2002 because I almost reinstalled the part with the ashtray open...I think that is how the 2007 was broken.
The car repair technician was in the console to remove the K40 radar detector.

Quick Reply: Cup Holder Operation and Parts