SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk keeps opening itself!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18 | 07:41 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Default Trunk keeps opening itself!!??

Since I got this car (2002) a few months back it has been sitting on a battery tender while I am doing things here and there bringing it back up to snuff.

I often come into the garage and see the door ajar light illuminated on the dash and find that the trunk opened itself.

Yesterday, I was trying to put the top down and the trunk kept popping open from the back, stopping the process. This occurred just as the lid started to open for the top to go in.

Anyone ever hear of this? Car was running at the time. Not sure if I have a short or what could be the issue.
Old 03-11-18 | 08:12 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Do you hear the latch being released or does it just pop open? If it pops on its own, most likely the culprit is the latch is loose. Make sure that it is tightened down. Also try lifting the trunk lid while it is latched. If it comes up, there is a problem with the latch or the latch position or the latch needs to be tightened down. At least, those are the things that I would start with.
Old 03-11-18 | 08:36 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Harold57
Do you hear the latch being released or does it just pop open? If it pops on its own, most likely the culprit is the latch is loose. Make sure that it is tightened down. Also try lifting the trunk lid while it is latched. If it comes up, there is a problem with the latch or the latch position or the latch needs to be tightened down. At least, those are the things that I would start with.
It sounds like the actuator is activating. Its a low mile car so I dont imagine the latch would be bad from being used but I will check it.
Old 03-11-18 | 09:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Harold, it sounds like the latch may need a slight adjustment
Old 03-11-18 | 12:10 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70

I agree with Harold, it sounds like the latch may need a slight adjustment
Thanks all. I pull up on the trunk and it wont open. Latch and mechanism are all tight. I believe i can hear actuator pop trunk so im thinking it is electrical.

im gonna try using valet switch to cut power from trunk button. If this stops issue maybe something it wrong with trunk button. Cant think of anything else.
Old 03-13-18 | 10:20 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

There is a cable in the bottom of your glove box that will open your trunk in case of a power outage. Maybe the cable has been pulled and did not retract all the way, putting slight constant tension on it.

When you put your top down, I think the latch pushes the trunk up a little bit so the hatch can reverse open. Maybe the pushing up is adding the extra tension on the glove box cable, causing it to pop open.
Old 03-13-18 | 10:23 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
There is a cable in the bottom of your glove box that will open your trunk in case of a power outage. Maybe the cable has been pulled and did not retract all the way, putting slight constant tension on it.

When you put your top down, I think the latch pushes the trunk up a little bit so the hatch can reverse open. Maybe the pushing up is adding the extra tension on the glove box cable, causing it to pop open.
I did check that, thank you. It seems that ever since I push the valet button inside the glove box that the truck is no longer opening itself. Starting to wonder if the pushbutton trunk switch on the dash is bad.
Old 03-13-18 | 10:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hyper15125
Starting to wonder if the pushbutton trunk switch on the dash is bad.
I wonder if you could take it out and see if that effects anything.
Old 03-13-18 | 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hyper15125
I did check that, thank you. It seems that ever since I push the valet button inside the glove box that the truck is no longer opening itself. Starting to wonder if the pushbutton trunk switch on the dash is bad.
Sure sounds like an electronics issue. The switch would be a good place to start.
Old 03-13-18 | 11:13 AM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Sure sounds like an electronics issue. The switch would be a good place to start.
i may just order a new switch for measure and see what happens
Old 03-13-18 | 01:02 PM
VVTiBob

Just a thought.... it may be the micro switch in the trunk latch that is malfunctioning. The luggage compartment main switch, a.k.a valet switch in the glove box interrupts the circuit. You can easily test the “valet” switch by removing it doing a continuity test to check it.
Old 03-13-18 | 01:24 PM
Hyper15125
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VVTiBob

Just a thought.... it may be the micro switch in the trunk latch that is malfunctioning. The luggage compartment main switch, a.k.a valet switch in the glove box interrupts the circuit. You can easily test the “valet” switch by removing it doing a continuity test to check it.
i will have to try that, its pretty random and strange.

As always, thanks for the help!
Old 11-02-18 | 03:40 AM
Avmanager
Driver

I have a strange Item remotely similar and wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. It is for a 2007 SC430 with 50K miles. I come out every morning into the garage and the trunk is popped open and the Fuel Door is open. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I have realized that its both the fuel door popped open and the trunk released each morning. The car is unlocked in my garage. I thought about locking it tonight and seeing if that kept it from popping them open. Any suggestions? I could see it being a latch if it was just one, but both being opened each morning is too odd....
Old 11-02-18 | 04:04 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Avmanager
I have a strange Item remotely similar and wanted to see if I could get some suggestions. It is for a 2007 SC430 with 50K miles. I come out every morning into the garage and the trunk is popped open and the Fuel Door is open. At first I thought it was a fluke, but I have realized that its both the fuel door popped open and the trunk released each morning. The car is unlocked in my garage. I thought about locking it tonight and seeing if that kept it from popping them open. Any suggestions? I could see it being a latch if it was just one, but both being opened each morning is too odd....
that is odd and it only happens at night!
you have a good plan, lock the car tonight and report your findings tomorrow morning.
Old 11-02-18 | 06:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70

that is odd and it only happens at night!
you have a good plan, lock the car tonight and report your findings tomorrow morning.
If garage is close to house or attached to house good chance that your remote key fob could be getting pressed accidently on your key ring. My kids used to play with my keys and press buttons

Quick Reply: Trunk keeps opening itself!!??