SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What the solution to that Power Steering Leak people always talk about?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 09:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 909 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Last time I checked, I concluded that the oil was coming from the Oil Pan gasket. I may need to investigate further. Need to put it on the ramps.
I had an oil pan leak on my 2002. My mechanic said they are rare, so I was an unlucky one.
he said Toyota uses a sealer and it usually lasts the life of the car...there is no gasket on the oil pan.
anyway, he removed the pan, cleaned everything and resealed it with the Toyota sealer.
Old 02-18-20, 05:09 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced the smaller diameter, low pressure hose yesterday with some left over gates power steering hose I had laying around. I used new OEM clamps I got from partsouq. I put the plastic wrap and cushion from the old hose back on. Looks good so far. The old hose had lost most of its flexibility. Total cost was about $10 for the clamps and a new bottle of fluid. The larger diameter hose I replaced about a year ago with a new Lexus hose.

Last edited by sprcarrera; 02-18-20 at 05:45 PM. Reason: CHANGED "HIGH" TO "LOW" PRESSURE
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 05:27 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sprcarrera
I replaced the smaller diameter, high pressure hose yesterday with some left over gates power steering hose I had laying around. I used new OEM clamps I got from partsouq. I put the plastic wrap and cushion from the old hose back on. Looks good so far. The old hose had lost most of its flexibility. Total cost was about $10 for the clamps and a new bottle of fluid. The larger diameter hose I replaced about a year ago with a new Lexus hose.
both hoses going to and from the reservoir are low pressure. The high pressure lines are the ones between the pump to and from the rack and pinion.
I apologize if I misunderstand your point.
Old 02-18-20, 05:44 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
both hoses going to and from the reservoir are low pressure. The high pressure lines are the ones between the pump to and from the rack and pinion.
I apologize if I misunderstand your point.
Yeah you are right. I meant low pressure.
Old 02-18-20, 05:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah you are right. I meant low pressure.
I think what you did will solve the PS leak issue...thank you for sharing this very affordable repair.
Old 02-18-20, 09:39 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synopsis?

I want to do this repair ASAP. Please post the ID / OD measurements and the brand of the hose you use. I already have the Ear Clamp kit on the way. Very grateful, I have to add fluid about every three months and already lost a alternator to this. (Upgraded to the higher amp model from the truck, which also is 3uz engine.)

Also, I couldn't tell... Did you replace or just clean the reservoir in the long run? I can't even find the tank on RockAuto... but maybe we could use something like this?:
Dorman 603-934 Power Steering Reservoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AN91GEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3TmtEbEMTS1HF

(Assuming all the ID meas and capacity matched?)

THANK YOU!!

Last edited by DJHydrogen; 02-18-20 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 09:39 AM
sprcarrera
Driver

Originally Posted by DJHydrogen
I want to do this repair ASAP. Please post the ID / OD measurements and the brand of the hose you use. I already have the Ear Clamp kit on the way. Very grateful, I have to add fluid about every three months and already lost a alternator to this. (Upgraded to the higher amp model from the truck, which also is 3uz engine.)

Also, I couldn't tell... Did you replace or just clean the reservoir in the long run? I can't even find the tank on RockAuto... but maybe we could use something like this?:
Dorman 603-934 Power Steering Reservoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AN91GEW..._3TmtEbEMTS1HF

(Assuming all the ID meas and capacity matched?)

THANK YOU!!

I left the reservoir as is.

The parts I used were the:

Gates 350010 S.A.E. J189 Return Hose with ID of 3/8" or 9.65mm. I think the stock hose is 10mm ID. I ordered it from RockAuto.
2 Lexus clips part no.

The part number for the larger diameter Lexu
s hose is 4434830200.
And the clips for that hose is 9046721010.

The following 2 users liked this post by sprcarrera:
Andreiu (02-21-20), DJHydrogen (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 02:29 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

I left the reservoir as is.

The parts I used were the:

Gates 350010 S.A.E. J189 Return Hose with ID of 3/8" or 9.65mm. I think the stock hose is 10mm ID. I ordered it from RockAuto.
2 Lexus clips part no.

The part number for the larger diameter Lexu
s hose is 4434830200.
And the clips for that hose is 9046721010.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. How many feet of the gates you think you needed? I found it on Prime, but it's 25 feet.
Old 02-19-20, 02:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you so much for the quick reply. How many feet of the gates you think you needed? I found it on Prime, but it's 25 feet.
EBay has it too.
https://www.ebay.com/p/169065626

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-19-20 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-19-20, 05:01 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Thanks so much. Is 44348-30200 also an oil pump hose? Is that irrelevant and it's just the part you chose to use?
Old 02-19-20, 05:35 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Thanks so much. Is 44348-30200 also an oil pump hose? Is that irrelevant and it's just the part you chose to use?
That might be just another description. You probably only need between 1 and 2 feet of that hose.
Old 02-20-20, 08:52 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

That might be just another description. You probably only need between 1 and 2 feet of that hose.
Thanks again for letting me bug you I think I found the larger OEM Lexus hose, but can I just cut a piece that fits and clamp it in? I already got the 3/8" ID hose on the way, which is what I found for that Gates part number. Do you know if the larger house is 1/2" ID?
Old 02-21-20, 04:59 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks again for letting me bug you I think I found the larger OEM Lexus hose, but can I just cut a piece that fits and clamp it in? I already got the 3/8" ID hose on the way, which is what I found for that Gates part number. Do you know if the larger house is 1/2" ID?
If you need to drive it, I'm certain it's fine to use cut tubing for now, but it is formed for a reason.

The lexus part is affordable compared to what you would pay to have this fixed - I think it's best to replace with oe. I think it is formed to slow fluid flow and prevent vibration and gurgling at the reservoir.

Also, if you go ear clamps, you need a 22mm for the larger hose. I was unable to get a clamp on the smaller return line at the joint to the metal line.

If you remove the vacuum lines, it is possible, but I try to not disturb vacuum lines in particular.

​​​​

​​​​

Last edited by Andreiu; 02-21-20 at 05:04 AM.
DJHydrogen (02-26-20)
Old 03-08-20, 11:28 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Andreiu
If you need to drive it, I'm certain it's fine to use cut tubing for now, but it is formed for a reason.

The lexus part is affordable compared to what you would pay to have this fixed - I think it's best to replace with oe. I think it is formed to slow fluid flow and prevent vibration and gurgling at the reservoir.

Also, if you go ear clamps, you need a 22mm for the larger hose. I was unable to get a clamp on the smaller return line at the joint to the metal line.

If you remove the vacuum lines, it is possible, but I try to not disturb vacuum lines in particular.

​​​​

​​​​
Wow... Soooo had to replace vacuum lines, which crumbled when I touched them. Did a few other lines with fresh tubing, too... But I have two issues.
1. I still can't see how you got the hose off from up top? It's so stuck to the canister, I'm afraid I'll break the plastic if I fight it too much. The other end of the hose, doesn't seem to have that much space to get at it, and I've got all the intake taken off. Did you have to go under the car and I just didn't pick up on that?
2. Those crumbled vacuum lines... they have two inlets right next to where our new hose will go, one right above the other... I didn't know they were coming off, so I didn't note which was which. Can you advise?

Again, thank you soooo much for letting us lean on you for your experience and sharing!
Old 03-09-20, 06:57 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

With old hoses, there will be a good layer of dried PS fluid that creates a nice bond. You have to twist the hose until it brakes this. Then just keep tension while twisting and it will eventually work its way off. I've used small flathead screwdriver to brake the seal on delicate parts. You could gently score with a razor blade until it peels off.

It was super stubborn and took a few minutes of twisting and rolling and inching my fingers down until it popped off.

My vacuum lines were surprisingly in good shape. There should be a diagram on the hood edge to refer to. I'll try to find a diagram for you when I have time. At some point I need to go back in and check my work to make sure it's held, but that might be awhile.

Pro-tip - the flushing and filling instructions out there are good, but understate how much spray pressure just turning over engine car will cause. Fluid everywhere in my garage and it still stinks weeks later.
DJHydrogen (03-09-20)

Quick Reply: What the solution to that Power Steering Leak people always talk about?