SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What the solution to that Power Steering Leak people always talk about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 11:27 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 490 Likes on 409 Posts
Default What the solution to that Power Steering Leak people always talk about?

Originally Posted by kevin3344
You also might want to keep an eye on your power steering fluid. When we got our '02 from Florida there was a small leak from the power steering reservoir (see photo). It's a common problem on the SC430 and can be hard to see (it also happened with my GS400). Take a look and see if there is any moisture in that area.

I think I have this leak. What's the solution? Do you just have to replace the hose, or do you have to replace the reservoir?
Old 03-19-18, 04:03 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I dropped it off at the dealer and they replaced the hose and clamp....but I think it's the clamp that actually loosens over time.
Old 03-19-18, 05:43 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thanks Kevin!
Old 03-19-18, 09:06 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Do it quick before it ruins the alternator.
The following users liked this post:
DJHydrogen (02-19-20)
Old 03-20-18, 12:47 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Do it quick before it ruins the alternator.
too late
Old 03-20-18, 04:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
too late
did it get all over your alternator and ruin it?

just a note...I had an alternator rebuilt at a local automotive starter, alternator shop. He replaced everything for $100.
if you purchase from Rockauto or a local Autozone etc, they are almost all rebuilt. Rebuilt means they fixed the broken part and everything else is used.
DJHydrogen (02-19-20)
Old 06-10-19, 05:25 AM
bobster99
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Along the lines of this, my power steering leak probably took out my alternator, I didn't even think of that happening when I first noticed the leak. I agree with your opinion that a local rebuilt is likely better than a "unknown" rebuilt from some company.

You mention that your in Florida, any chance that your in South Florida?
There are so few shops around me that I would trust so a referral would go a long way.
Old 06-10-19, 11:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bobster99
Along the lines of this, my power steering leak probably took out my alternator, I didn't even think of that happening when I first noticed the leak. I agree with your opinion that a local rebuilt is likely better than a "unknown" rebuilt from some company.

You mention that your in Florida, any chance that your in South Florida?
There are so few shops around me that I would trust so a referral would go a long way.
I am in central Florida, I-95 MM200ish. I took mine to a shop in Titusville.
did a google search for alternator starter shops.
i asked him to replace every part available.
Old 06-12-19, 03:41 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the response... I am way south of you, about a mile north of the Miami Dade Line. I did talk to a couple of local shops and they were about $60 less than my Denso Re-Man but neither of them gave me a sense of confidence that their rebuilds would last as long and who knows if they would be around to warranty it...
Old 06-13-19, 04:17 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bobster99
Thanks for the response... I am way south of you, about a mile north of the Miami Dade Line. I did talk to a couple of local shops and they were about $60 less than my Denso Re-Man but neither of them gave me a sense of confidence that their rebuilds would last as long and who knows if they would be around to warranty it...
Ask the shop what they would replace...or ask them to replace everything.
bearings, diodes, voltage regulator etc.
typical rebuilt means, replace bad parts and paint.
just understand the difference.
https://www.elreg.com/blog/remanufac...d-alternators/
i think Rockauto.com sells a new one for $150.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-13-19 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 05:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

It is as easy as getting a certified re-manufactured Alternator carried by the Auto shops. They do test them before they get a seal. And the warranty is good.
DJHydrogen (02-19-20)
Old 02-09-20, 01:37 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this leak. Anyone know what hose I should buy for replacement? I can't find a Lexus specific hose. It looks like I just need to get some generic hose.
DJHydrogen (02-19-20)
Old 02-11-20, 07:22 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sprcarrera
I have this leak. Anyone know what hose I should buy for replacement? I can't find a Lexus specific hose. It looks like I just need to get some generic hose.
I plan to remove both hoses and see if autozone has appropriate cut-to-length hoses to replace with.
But from my time with my Vanagon, I've learned Oetiker clamps (ear clamps) are the only way to have a lasting secure fit.
Will be doing this replacement unless someone has any reason to advise against! It looks like both hoses have clamps at each end for the first sections where the leaks occur.
​​​​
Old 02-11-20, 10:02 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Andreiu
Oetiker clamps (ear clamps) are the only way to have a lasting secure fit.
​​​​
Ear Clamps are probably a good idea. When I did it I used common hose clamps, but the two hoses are pretty close to each other and it was hard to get the to screw down properly
Old 02-11-20, 10:06 AM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andreiu
I plan to remove both hoses and see if autozone has appropriate cut-to-length hoses to replace with.
But from my time with my Vanagon, I've learned Oetiker clamps (ear clamps) are the only way to have a lasting secure fit.
Will be doing this replacement unless someone has any reason to advise against! It looks like both hoses have clamps at each end for the first sections where the leaks occur.
​​​​
Yeah actually I checked last night and there are indeed clamps on each side of this hose. So I found some 3/8 ID Gates (part no 350010) power steering hose that I used for my 80 series Land Cruiser. It looks like the right size. I'm going to order new OEM clamps from partsouq.

There's a part number for the other larger power steering suction hose as it's formed I think. I had replaced that one about a year ago because it was leaking.

Make sure your hose is SAE J189 compliant, at least for the smaller diameter return hose.

Quick Reply: What the solution to that Power Steering Leak people always talk about?