SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 07:11 AM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New owner

After looking around the forum for some time and also looking for an SC for around 1½ years, I finally committed to one and purchased in last week. A 2009 year model with 80k km mileage.

Old 04-30-18, 08:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Greta looking car. Welcome to the forum. Nice group of SC owners here and the forum is a wonderful source of info on your SC.
The following users liked this post:
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 08:08 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Enjoy your SC.
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 10:16 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Congrats! Welcome to the club.
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 11:20 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Welcome! Always love when folks from around the world join in. Always notice the fender side repeater lights as they are unique and not installed in cars in North America.
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 11:31 AM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Any idea on the first mod that you are going to do?
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 06:40 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi CL, congrats on your Malaysian SC ! Did you find it in Penang or did you have to travel to another state to buy it ? I guess there are not many SC430s in that region. Millennium Silver? What color is the interior ? Inside shots will be nice if possible. Also, how is the leather and the dash etc holding up under the strong sun and high heat in Penang/Malaysia.

Great car to cruise in for a beach outing. Memories of Batu Ferringhi, Golden Sands, Rasa Sayang etc for me from many decades ago. All the best, enjoy in good health !
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 07:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 910 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by clkoay
After looking around the forum for some time and also looking for an SC for around 1½ years, I finally committed to one and purchased in last week. A 2009 year model with 80k km mileage.
Welcome to Club Lexus and congratulations on your SC430.

i visited your country back around 1980 when I lived in Singapore.

I visited Langkawi, Tioman and traveled by bus up the east coast of Malaysia. You have some beautiful beaches!!!
clkoay (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 07:23 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Welcome! Always love when folks from around the world join in. Always notice the fender side repeater lights as they are unique and not installed in cars in North America.
Yup, it is a little different, I guess different requirements for Asian market.
Old 04-30-18, 07:26 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alex2016g
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Any idea on the first mod that you are going to do?
I already redone the tints, headlight renew as it was a little blurry, new rims and tires. I might want to update the player to double din but worry that the sound reproduction may not be as good as the stock ML system.
Old 04-30-18, 07:30 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OBP
Hi CL, congrats on your Malaysian SC ! Did you find it in Penang or did you have to travel to another state to buy it ? I guess there are not many SC430s in that region. Millennium Silver? What color is the interior ? Inside shots will be nice if possible. Also, how is the leather and the dash etc holding up under the strong sun and high heat in Penang/Malaysia.

Great car to cruise in for a beach outing. Memories of Batu Ferringhi, Golden Sands, Rasa Sayang etc for me from many decades ago. All the best, enjoy in good health !
I got it from KL, not many SC for sale here in Penang state. I am not sure of the color code but it is silver. Black interior, was looking for the tan or beige interior but not many around in such configuration. I will get some interior shots later today. Leather and dash is holding up in Penang weather. Yes, I got it for the beach outings in the Island. You seem to know Penang well especially Batu Ferringhi area. Good wishes to you too.
Old 04-30-18, 07:36 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70

Welcome to Club Lexus and congratulations on your SC430.

i visited your country back around 1980 when I lived in Singapore.

I visited Langkawi, Tioman and traveled by bus up the east coast of Malaysia. You have some beautiful beaches!!!
You seem to know the beach locations well here in Malaysia. Lots have changed in Langkawi and Tioman since the 80s, more housing development, Langkawi especially, hopefully the beaches are still well maintained. Have not visited those locations for a while now. Penang still have nice beaches, so I do not have to go far for a topless drive although very hot and very humid. The housing development have accelerated as Penang is a now a hot spot for retirees from all over the whole as Malaysia have a retirement visa program.
Old 04-30-18, 07:58 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

You can replace the head unit without replacing the amplifier. I would strongly suggest you inspect the door woofers and rear seat sub woofer. The OEM speakers have history and don’t survive well - paper and foam deterioration ruin them. OEM speakers also have unusual ohm ratings too.
Or you can go all out. I’m reminded a lot of our members have done substantial work and spent lots of money on upgrades. That leads me to one comment, “it’s a convertible not a concert hall”. By upgrading the head unit you get to take advantage of newer technologies without spending a small fortune.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-30-18 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 10:58 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
You can replace the head unit without replacing the amplifier. I would strongly suggest you inspect the door woofers and rear seat sub woofer. The OEM speakers have history and don’t survive well - paper and foam deterioration ruin them. OEM speakers also have unusual ohm ratings too.
Or you can go all out. I’m reminded a lot of our members have done substantial work and spent lots of money on upgrades. That leads me to one comment, “it’s a convertible not a concert hall”. By upgrading the head unit you get to take advantage of newer technologies without spending a small fortune.
Many thanks for this confirmation VVtiBob, my installer told me it is not possible to use back the ML amplifier. They asked me to get a new amplifier when changing to a double din touch screen player. I will look for alternative installer then. I will also inspect the door woofers and rear seat woofers as recommended. I don't intend to upgrade the speakers, intend to keep them, only the touch screen player to set up a back up camera.
Old 04-30-18, 11:00 PM
clkoay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clkoay
I got it from KL, not many SC for sale here in Penang state. I am not sure of the color code but it is silver. Black interior, was looking for the tan or beige interior but not many around in such configuration. I will get some interior shots later today. Leather and dash is holding up in Penang weather. Yes, I got it for the beach outings in the Island. You seem to know Penang well especially Batu Ferringhi area. Good wishes to you too.

Apologize for the bad photo, used a phone camera and taken in the car park.

Quick Reply: New owner