SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

at what point

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 07:50 AM
7Train
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default at what point

is it worth it or not worth it to add to your sc430? hello to everyone, i am new here but this is my 2nd go around with the lexus sc430. First one i owned in 2007 was a 03 black on black sc430, my 2nd and current car is an 2002 black on black sc430 which i have owned for over 2 1/2 years. bought it with 75,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. my question is at what point do you just say the heck with it and not add any expensive "upgrades" to the car. let me explain my radio antenna would not come up but the motor was working, took out the whole unit hoping i could just replace the antenna, but no after opening up the "gear covering", noticed a broken gear, so the whole unit was shot so $250 bucks later i had to put in a whole new unit which is now working perfectly, expensive but was it worth it since i was getting radio reception without it,all be it not as many stations. now i have always wanted to lower the car, get a body kit for the car, put a double din in with satellite radio and beat-sonic, new rims and wider tires, all these fun things, but at what point do you say to yourself if i ever sell the car how much will it add to the car, and that's "IF" you sell the car.there are small things that i can do to the car like changing interior lights to LED and such. but at what point would you say the money could be used better elsewhere or invested or just saved. Thoughts?

Last edited by 7Train; 05-03-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:59 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Train
is it worth it or not worth it to add to your sc430? hello to everyone, i am new here but this is my 2nd go around with the lexus sc430. First one i owned in 2007 was a 03 black on black sc430, my 2nd and current car is an 2002 black on black sc430 which i have owned for over 2 1/2 years. bought it with 75,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. my question is at what point do you just say the heck with it and not add any expensive "upgrades" to the car. let me explain my radio antenna would not come up but the motor was working, took out the whole unit hoping i could just replace the antenna, but no after opening up the "gear covering", noticed a broken gear, so the whole unit was shot so $250 bucks later i had to put in a whole new unit which is now working perfectly, expensive but was it worth it since i was getting radio reception without it,all be it not as many stations. now i have always wanted to lower the car, get a body kit for the car, put a double din in with satellite radio and beat-sonic, new rims and wider tires, all these fun things, but at what point do you say to yourself if i ever sell the car how much will it add to the car, and that's "IF" you sell the car.there are small things that i can do to the car like changing interior lights to LED and such. but at what point would you say the money could be used better elsewhere or invested or just saved. Thoughts?
You will never recover any money for upgrades you do. No body does. In fact most buyers when looking for sc430 will pay more for condition the upgrades might push them to buy your car or they could push them away. Its hard to say. The upgrades make the car more desirable if the suit the new buyer Some buyers might want it bone stock because some upgrades could of been botched and could cause a problem down the road. The thing your doing is making your ride your ride. If you like the car and condition is great then go for the upgrades just know you will get the use of them and will make it yours.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 10:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Agreed, it’s your car and if those mods make you enjoy the car more...then do it.

remember, in almost all cases, a car will depreciate, which is the case here.

BTW, Welcome to CL and where in Florida are you?
i live near Cocoa Beach.
Old 05-03-18, 10:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I agree. You mod because you want to enjoy an enhanced experience from that of stock or to improve on a feature that has died rather than to just fix the failed component.
Old 05-03-18, 04:04 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is my thoughts.......Think of this, where can you get a lexus THAT SOLD FOR 62K PRICE TAG WITH QUALITY ENGINEERING. I SAY THIS SINCE TODAY, THE LEXUS DEALER GAVE ME A 2018 LOANER TODAY WITH ONLY 700 MILES---I LATER GOT IN MY CAR AND SAID, THE SC430 IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD AND MINE IS A 2003!

2003-2004 WAS HAND BUILT, 72 HOURS TO BUID ONE CAR, THE 2005 I BELIEVE, ONLY TOOK 27 HOURS TO BUILD, THE HAND BUILD VERSION IS A RARE COMMODITY!

BOB
Old 05-03-18, 04:37 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Agreed with the sentiments echoed above. The car should be what you want so long as you understand nobody gets their money back out, well at not 100% of it.

In the meantime, if driving a lowered car make you happy why not do it. Regarding the radio, I replaced mine years ago and have never regretted the dollars spent. Because I improved my access to newer technologies that weren’t around in 2001, when my car was built. I may consider doing it again for access to Apple’s Car Play tech.

In addition, this forum is a tremendous resource of information and chances are someone has already done what you’re contemplating. Just ask. For example, even when the primary antenna in your car failed, the secondary one, imbedded in the windshield, still worked. Sure it’s unusual for the gears to get torn up. But that why we have a TSB on how to eject, and replace, the mast because that’s where most are broken.

Finally, and this is certainly more philosophical that practical, life is too short. Why not enjoy the time we have here. Having just come home from a funeral this afternoon, one thing resonates. Since you can’t take it with you, worry about the big stuff, the little stuff, like whether you should do this mod, or that mod, will work out, no matter what happens.
The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 04:41 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
You will never recover any money for upgrades you do. No body does. In fact most buyers when looking for sc430 will pay more for condition the upgrades might push them to buy your car or they could push them away. Its hard to say. The upgrades make the car more desirable if the suit the new buyer Some buyers might want it bone stock because some upgrades could of been botched and could cause a problem down the road. The thing your doing is making your ride your ride. If you like the car and condition is great then go for the upgrades just know you will get the use of them and will make it yours.
+1

What is a tasteful mod to one person may be tacky to another.
Old 05-03-18, 05:14 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

.....I also agree with everything everyone has said, the Sc is a rare breed & that has it's good & bad sides. I love my car to death & enjoy doing some mods to it, whether they're big or small. It's never too early or late to make a vehicle more enjoyable for yourself. If you're planning to keep it, then personalize it to your taste & enjoy it. If you take a look at the "pic of your Sc now" thread, they are all totally different, but they are a representation of the owner..........enjoy your car while you have it & worry about the rest later

......the start of a new relationship

.....and she's still around
Old 05-04-18, 08:58 AM
7Train
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the responses, i agree i will make the car my own, i should have never sold the first one and regretted it ever since, hence the 2nd go around with the sc430
Old 05-04-18, 08:59 AM
7Train
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....I also agree with everything everyone has said, the Sc is a rare breed & that has it's good & bad sides. I love my car to death & enjoy doing some mods to it, whether they're big or small. It's never too early or late to make a vehicle more enjoyable for yourself. If you're planning to keep it, then personalize it to your taste & enjoy it. If you take a look at the "pic of your Sc now" thread, they are all totally different, but they are a representation of the owner..........enjoy your car while you have it & worry about the rest later

......the start of a new relationship

.....and she's still around
what body kit is that? very nice car
Old 05-04-18, 10:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by 7Train
what body kit is that? very nice car
I wanna know what's going on with the back seat!
Old 05-04-18, 11:20 AM
VVTiBob

Johnny, just think that’s a reflection from the passenger door window that is in the up position. Looked odd to me too, until I zoomed in and the window was up and closely matched the contour of the rear headrest.
Old 05-05-18, 07:48 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Johnny, just think that’s a reflection from the passenger door window that is in the up position. Looked odd to me too, until I zoomed in and the window was up and closely matched the contour of the rear headrest.
RU sure? Looked to me like a dead body wrapped in plastic for disposal! I wasn't going to say anything for fear of getting whacked!
Old 05-05-18, 08:17 AM
VVTiBob

Yep, trust me. I’ve had plenty of experience, it’s not a DB.
Just the tree canopy reflection and a odd angle on the rear passenger headrest.
But that is quite the macab sense of imagination my friend!
Besides, no one would ever consider using a SC430 to dispose of a corpse, they’d know the back is way to small, and if riger mortus, the third stage of death, set in, they would BOTH be stuck! If you get my meaning.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-05-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-05-18, 11:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Sharp eyes, Bob. Now, I see.

Quick Reply: at what point