SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pioneer Radio Installation 2007 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19, 08:38 PM
jmjsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
the micro bypass is for the Pioneer radio. It makes the radio think you are stopped and then will allow a movie to be played anytime.
So I installed the bypass, the beatsonic interface, a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX and a generic backup camera. I added the RCA plug that came with the kit into the Navidation harness as instructed. However, when I hit the mode button on the steering wheel, it siply goes black. Hit it again and the nav screen reappears. Do I still need to ground the parking brake wire?

Also - while testing everything, I noticed the head unit door does not operate when I power on/off the radio. I have to manually operate it with the button. Is this an expected result?

Thank you for your quick response to my other inquiries. All of your posts have been an enormous help!
Old 12-29-19, 04:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by jmjsc430
So I installed the bypass, the beatsonic interface, a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX and a generic backup camera. I added the RCA plug that came with the kit into the Navidation harness as instructed. However, when I hit the mode button on the steering wheel, it siply goes black. Hit it again and the nav screen reappears. Do I still need to ground the parking brake wire?

Also - while testing everything, I noticed the head unit door does not operate when I power on/off the radio. I have to manually operate it with the button. Is this an expected result?

Thank you for your quick response to my other inquiries. All of your posts have been an enormous help!
when you have the black screen, do you have the key on and the car in reverse?
did you wire the camera video directly to the new RCA NAV screen plug?
are you sure the camera turns on when you put the car in reverse?
The following users liked this post:
jmjsc430 (12-30-19)
Old 12-29-19, 07:42 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

see post#15 for the camera power source...this was the install on my 2002
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html
jmjsc430 (12-30-19)
Old 12-29-19, 03:17 PM
jmjsc430
Driver School Candidate

1. I only display the backup camera on the upper screen. The upper screen has two channels, one for OEM NAV and the other was added with the BeatSonic, I switch between the two channels using the steering wheel mode button.
the upper screen can display, OEM Nav, backup camera or a movie from the radio...all while you are using the radio normally.
i hope that answers your question.

2. I don’t think I needed to remove the rear side panels, I probably removed too many items to do the install.
nothing is difficult to remove.

here is another thread on what you can display on the upper NAV screen...this is my 2002 SC430
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html

BG - Thanks for the help on the reverse camera. I located the reverse wire. I have everything working but I am still unable to get the reverse camera to show on the top screen while the radio plays on the head unit. I have an rca plug running from the backup camera... It is plugged into the corresponding plug on the head unit. I have the rca plug from the nav modification plugged into the external video plug on the head unit. Buy my thinking, this RCA plug coming from the nav has to be plugged into the head unit so how do you get share this with the b/u camera? If I do not plug the b/u directly into the radio, it will not work. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-19, 09:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

BG - Thanks for the help on the reverse camera. I located the reverse wire. I have everything working but I am still unable to get the reverse camera to show on the top screen while the radio plays on the head unit. I have an rca plug running from the backup camera... It is plugged into the corresponding plug on the head unit. I have the rca plug from the nav modification plugged into the external video plug on the head unit. Buy my thinking, this RCA plug coming from the nav has to be plugged into the head unit so how do you get share this with the b/u camera? If I do not plug the b/u directly into the radio, it will not work. Any ideas?
for testing purposes, plug the camera directly into the NAV screen and place the car reverse to confirm it is working.

Next do you know what the video output from the head unit will show on an external screen?
I think mine will only output a movie from the head unit.

where do you want to display the backup camera, NAV screen and head unit screen or just the upper screen?
Old 01-10-20, 12:38 PM
jmjsc430
Driver School Candidate

for testing purposes, plug the camera directly into the NAV screen and place the car reverse to confirm it is working.

Next do you know what the video output from the head unit will show on an external screen?
I think mine will only output a movie from the head unit.

where do you want to display the backup camera, NAV screen and head unit screen or just the upper screen?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, I plugged the camera directly into the Nav screen and it works. I'm not sure what the head unit is capable of displaying on the Nav screen but I suspect it may only be the movies. I am trying to have the backup video on the Nav screen only but both would be okay. I gave up trying to do it so anything you can suggest is appreciated.

Also - Did you have a gap at the top of the head unit after the install? Did you do anything to cover it?
Old 01-10-20, 03:24 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes, I plugged the camera directly into the Nav screen and it works. I'm not sure what the head unit is capable of displaying on the Nav screen but I suspect it may only be the movies. I am trying to have the backup video on the Nav screen only but both would be okay. I gave up trying to do it so anything you can suggest is appreciated.

Also - Did you have a gap at the top of the head unit after the install? Did you do anything to cover it?
i used a splitter on the NAV screen, one input from the camera and the other from the radio.
then you can view backup camera and movies.

yes, I think we all have the gap, one person did something to hide it...but don’t remember what he did. Someone may chime in with the answer
Old 01-16-20, 05:58 AM
dbryan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for the quality instructions!
Old 01-16-20, 02:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbryan
This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for the quality instructions!
thanks...I did two others relating to the install on my 2002 SC430
Old 01-16-20, 04:31 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

i used a splitter on the NAV screen, one input from the camera and the other from the radio.
then you can view backup camera and movies.

yes, I think we all have the gap, one person did something to hide it...but don’t remember what he did. Someone may chime in with the answer
A while back I addressed the gap above the radio with my fix. What I did to improve the look was to attach a piece of black electrical tape to the metal bracket. This fix leaves the gap open for the cover operation but

makes the silver bracket not at all noticeable. One could probably paint the bracket a semi gloss black BEFORE the head unit installation with the same effect, but to take it all apart for a coat of paint is really undesirable.
The following 2 users liked this post by leexed:
Bgw70 (01-16-20), msteele (08-30-20)
Old 06-10-23, 04:41 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Bgw70
Hi Bgw70, coming back to the well of knowledge and hoping you will help confirming. I've just bought a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (
Amazon Amazon
) and would like to be able to:
(a) View the reverse camera on either or both the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX and the Lexus GPS screens (GPS screen is preferred as you have your '07 configured).
(b) Watch a DVD while in motion on either or both the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (Pioneer screen preferred) and the Lexus GPS screens. [update June 10, 23 - apparently with the AVH-W4500NEX, I do not need a micro bypass gadget [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7esm2nSmoQ]
(c) Use both the windshield antenna and the rear antenna but with the rear antenna extended only when FM/AM signal from the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX is switched on/tuned to (retracted otherwise) . . . I am hoping the height/length would still be automatically adjusted depending upon the strength of the signal.

Please let me know if I need to buy any other modules/interfaces/components other than those listed below:
(1) Beat-Sonic MVA-12L https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...s-MVA-12L.html
(2) Kenwood CMOS-230 reverse camera
Amazon Amazon
(3) Metra 40-UV43 antenna Y-adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EXF10?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf&tag=munchable_sp_14246-20&th=1# https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EXF10?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf&tag=munchable_sp_14246-20&th=1#
, or a Bingfu equivalent
Amazon Amazon

I may be missing the splitter on the GPS nav screen you mentioned in post 67 - would you give me the part number or link to the item?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by MyLS460; 06-12-23 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-11-23, 06:35 PM
MyLS460
Driver

<Message Deleted>

Last edited by MyLS460; 06-13-23 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 11:51 AM
joemg
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 191 Posts

Wow, thank you for bumping this thread. I don't know how I never saw this with all the research I've been doing for my own stereo build. This is an incredible write up BGW70! Nice high-res pics of all of it. I will be studying this before I pull my interior apart for my build!
Bgw70 (06-15-23)
Old 06-15-23, 07:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MyLS460
@Bgw70
Hi Bgw70, coming back to the well of knowledge and hoping you will help confirming. I've just bought a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1) and would like to be able to:
(a) View the reverse camera on either or both the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX and the Lexus GPS screens (GPS screen is preferred as you have your '07 configured).
(b) Watch a DVD while in motion on either or both the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX (Pioneer screen preferred) and the Lexus GPS screens. [update June 10, 23 - apparently with the AVH-W4500NEX, I do not need a micro bypass gadget [[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7esm2nSmoQ]
(c) Use both the windshield antenna and the rear antenna but with the rear antenna extended only when FM/AM signal from the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX is switched on/tuned to (retracted otherwise) . . . I am hoping the height/length would still be automatically adjusted depending upon the strength of the signal.

Please let me know if I need to buy any other modules/interfaces/components other than those listed below:
(1) Beat-Sonic MVA-12L https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...s-MVA-12L.html
(2) Kenwood CMOS-230 reverse camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JLYNL7Q4&psc=1
(3) Metra 40-UV43 antenna Y-adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EXF10?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf&tag=munchable_sp_14246-20&th=1#, or a Bingfu equivalent https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OFTAZ9BA&psc=1

I may be missing the splitter on the GPS nav screen you mentioned in post 67 - would you give me the part number or link to the item?

Thank you very much for your help.
sorry for the late response…been out in Utah hiking, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon…God sure made America Beautiful…Its Amazing.

Beat-Sonic MVA-12L is for 2002-2005
Beat-Sonic MVA-13L is for 2006-2009

i used the metra spitter
Amazon Amazon
and this adapter…
Amazon Amazon

i used Video splitters similar to this one below…i did not use this particular one. I remember using two splitters…one splitting the video output of the radio to the GPS Screen with the Rear camera and a second splitter with the rear camera to the video input of the radio and the GPS Screen. The second is not required if you never want to display the rear camera to the radio…you can just send it to the GPS first splitter. Hope this makes sense.
Amazon Amazon

Did i answer all of your questions?
if not, please let me know.
Old 06-15-23, 10:43 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Thanks @Bgw70, I believe you have and I have a couple more questions for you.
  • On the rear antenna - is it true that every time the new head unit (in my case the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX) is on, regardless of the modes, the antenna would extend all the way, or is it only when the radio (AM/FM and XM) option is selected? I would like to avoid the antenna from extending itself in all modes; e.g., when the unit is streaming (Spotify, Pandora, etc.), Apple-car playing . . . and would prefer to not have to add a switch to control the antenna.
  • Rear side speakers (4inch, 8 ohms) - do you have any suggestions for a straight drop in, or minor modification. Would like to avoid Lexus/ML speakers, or repairing the surround in the original and dropping in a couple of 4 ohm'ers sounds risky.
  • Subwoofer (8 inch, 16 ohms) - similarly, do you have any suggestions for an aftermarket drop in, perhaps minor mod . . .? Also would like to avoid any 8-ohmers unless the sub has dual coils and can be serialized.
Thank you! Enjoy your hike, beautiful part of the country. Stay safe!

Last edited by MyLS460; 06-15-23 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Radio Installation 2007 SC430