SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

tpms light

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 05:13 AM
7Train
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tpms light

on my 2002 sc430 my TPMS sensor light is steady on, not blinking,and tires are at correct tire pressure, now i know my right rear sensor is working because i woke up about a, month ago with a flat tire and the dashboard was beeping,so i am safe to assume that it is not my right rear tire's sensor that is bad. Would you think the following would work. Go to a tire fill station let air out of tires one by one to below a threshold that would set off sensor wait for beeping sound to indicate that that tires sensor works, no beep means you no which sensor/s are bad then fill tires back up to correct pressure? What happens if all four sensor beep when low pressure threshold was met but the TPMS light is still steady on, if that is possible? would this scenario work to find out which sensor/s are kaput?
Old 05-16-18, 06:00 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Train
on my 2002 sc430 my TPMS sensor light is steady on, not blinking,and tires are at correct tire pressure, now i know my right rear sensor is working because i woke up about a, month ago with a flat tire and the dashboard was beeping,so i am safe to assume that it is not my right rear tire's sensor that is bad. Would you think the following would work. Go to a tire fill station let air out of tires one by one to below a threshold that would set off sensor wait for beeping sound to indicate that that tires sensor works, no beep means you no which sensor/s are bad then fill tires back up to correct pressure? What happens if all four sensor beep when low pressure threshold was met but the TPMS light is still steady on, if that is possible? would this scenario work to find out which sensor/s are kaput?
Just use TPMS trigger/scan tool to check sensors. If all sensors are OK, how about spare tire? Does it have a sensor?
Old 05-16-18, 07:47 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 561 Likes on 428 Posts

Read the sticky or do an advance search, there’re plenty talk of this subject.
Old 05-16-18, 10:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 417 Posts

would this scenario work to find out which sensor/s are kaput?
What is your ultimate goal? Did you want to replace the sensors back to oem? BGW says the sensors all came out of the factory at the same time. They all have covered the same amount of miles. It is best you replace all four of them, otherwise you just spend the next few months replacing all the sensors one by one, paying a programming charge each time. One of the added benefits of replacing them all is there are four different sensors (they are color coded). You have to get the same color that has gone bad. If you get all four at once, that problem is eliminated.

Here is a thought; In order to program the sensor, you will have to take your car to some place that has Techstream. You may want to do that now. They will be able to tell you which sensor is bad and what color is needed and program the new one in when it arrives. Or you can do a search on ebay and this forum for techstream and see what you find.

There is a new aftermarket system that lets you read the actual pressure in each tire. you put caps on your tire stems and it broadcasts the pressure to a reader in your ash tray. It costs less than one new TPMS sensor.

If you go that route, you can just read the sticky on how to easily disable the tire pressure monitoring system.
Old 05-16-18, 10:35 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Here is a thought; In order to program the sensor, you will have to take your car to some place that has Techstream. You may want to do that now. They will be able to tell you which sensor is bad and what color is needed and program the new one in when it arrives. Or you can do a search on ebay and this forum for techstream and see what you find.
Or you can just buy a Techstream and find it yourself. (BGW did an excellent write up on that in another thread earlier.)
Old 05-16-18, 01:31 PM
7Train
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated
Old 05-17-18, 06:51 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciated
Darryl gave you some great ideas!