SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Whining noise - video included

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 10:21 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Sounded like the drive belt. There is the spray you can buy, it will eliminate the hissing noise but when the spray is dried up, the noise will come back and louder, then you have to spray your belt again.
You’re better off to replace the belt.
Old 08-26-18, 08:40 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sideswipe
Same problem just started with me a couple of days ago but now its gone. I will see how it goes and let you all know.
The whining noise came back this morning, so hopefully it occurs on a consistent basis so the problem can be addressed. The poster BCT was very persistent in posting until he replaced his alternator. I'm not going to make any assumptions, but because he did not post again it certainly could have solved the problem. It also sounds like this is the exact source of the noise, but as we all know pin pointing noise sources can be tricky. If it happens again tomorrow morning I will try to address it and once solved I'll post the solution.

Last edited by sixonemale; 08-26-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 11:06 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
The whining noise came back this morning, so hopefully it occurs on a consistent basis so the problem can be addressed. The poster BCT was very persistent in posting until he replaced his alternator. I'm not going to make any assumptions, but because he did not post again it certainly could have solved the problem. It also sounds like this is the exact source of the noise, but as we all know pin pointing noise sources can be tricky. If it happens again tomorrow morning I will try to address it and once solved I'll post the solution.
use a poor mans stethoscope...if you have a long ratchet extension or any long metal object, touch it to the alternator and place the other end touching your ear.
you will know right away if it is the problem.
also listen at other areas to know you have the source.

harbor freight sells the mechanics stethoscope for less than $10.

i will post a link to my accord alternator when it was bad.

BTW, try to find an alternator/starter shop and they can completely rebuild your alternator for about $100...

rebuilt alternator

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-26-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 02:38 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
harbor freight sells the mechanics stethoscope for less than $10
I picked one up at Harbor Freight for $4, so as soon as the whining noise comes back, it's gone again, I'll analyze it. Thanks
Old 09-17-18, 09:17 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

After the noise came back, the roof was slow to retract, radio was wonky and the windows took forever to roll up. Mine turned out to be a bad alternator. Had it replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (04-19-24)
Old 09-17-18, 10:34 AM
jpm995
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bgw70

use a poor mans stethoscope...if you have a long ratchet extension or any long metal object, touch it to the alternator and place the other end touching your ear.
you will know right away if it is the problem.
also listen at other areas to know you have the source.

harbor freight sells the mechanics stethoscope for less than $10.

i will post a link to my accord alternator when it was bad.

BTW, try to find an alternator/starter shop and they can completely rebuild your alternator for about $100...

https://youtu.be/PkOO5zyQwJ8

rebuilt alternator
https://youtu.be/I0nixTnRIfY

I was going to add even a long screwdriver can sometimes nail down where the noise is from. I do notice whenever my wife is in the car i get a wining noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpm995:
okievision (09-18-18), Roho (09-12-19)
Old 01-30-19, 03:43 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Conclusion: The cylinder the power steering fluid resides in was stained or looked like it was full, it was not, the power steering pump had a leak in it, hence the reason for the low pitch hum noise when turning right or left standing still or at a slow crawl. I had also noticed what I thought was a small water puddle on the garage floor and dismissed it as condensate. It was not condensate, it was clear or amber power steering fluid. Long story short, I had the power steering pump changed out and since the alternator was removed, replaced it also along with the idler pulley and serpentine belt.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-01-19 at 06:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixonemale:
Harold57 (01-31-19), Touaregman (04-19-24)
Old 05-28-19, 08:44 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
So is the whining sound gone now?
So sorry I just saw this. I sold the SC and bought an LS430 so I do not hang around here anymore. I still regret selling the SC but only has a two car garage, and do not want to have car parked outside in the driveway.

Yes the whining sound is gone/fixed after the alternator was replaced. Definitely get a stethoscope to isolate the noise.
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (04-19-24)