SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Did the SC 430 aged well after 16 years ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 05:42 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Random question...

Does the SC have an exhaust note? I used to live in Los Angeles and SCs were EVERRRRRYWHERE. I swear I heard a muffled (good sounding) exhaust note once. My LS has zip, nada, silence.
When you first fire it up, there is a brief r-r-rip until the car remembers "Oh, yeah. I'm a Lexus. Sshhhhh"
Old 06-04-18, 06:11 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Random question...

Does the SC have an exhaust note? I used to live in Los Angeles and SCs were EVERRRRRYWHERE. I swear I heard a muffled (good sounding) exhaust note once. My LS has zip, nada, silence.
I put a full borla catback exhaust on mine and it sounds really beefy. Kind of like a mustang or camaro but more tame.
Old 06-05-18, 01:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by daSC4
I put a full borla catback exhaust on mine and it sounds really beefy. Kind of like a mustang or camaro but more tame.
Ha, yeah I had a catback exhaust put on my old Yukon. Love it. A chevy smallblock deserves to be heard. I have the LS for silence and serenity.

And yes, LS is so ridiculously quiet. There is a huge hill near my house that cars regularly get backed up on (facing downhill while cars pass them going uphill.) I was stuck in traffic so I heard about a dozen cars go by up the hill all making their sounds. Then an LS did and I heard literally nothing. Like, silence, it may as well have been an EV.
Old 06-05-18, 02:52 AM
muzzmuzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC is certainly an iconic design. And in its day had supporters and detractors who were disappointed it was not a luxury 911. The guys at one of my favorite car TV shows (Top Gear) even rated it one of the ten worst cars of all time. I got one anyway and I love it.
I thank top gear everytime i get into my SC430 because I probably couldn't afford one other wise , Top gear have got a cheek critising Lexus because the poms make the worst cars on the planet , I now own a 1995 LS400 , 2008 RX350 and the 2008 SC430 hardly spend a penny on them except for changing the oil and fliters every 5000klms , the LS400 is getting close to 300,000 klms and runs like a clock yep thanks TG
Old 06-05-18, 08:02 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by muzzmuzz
The SC is certainly an iconic design. And in its day had supporters and detractors who were disappointed it was not a luxury 911. The guys at one of my favorite car TV shows (Top Gear) even rated it one of the ten worst cars of all time. I got one anyway and I love it.
I thank top gear everytime i get into my SC430 because I probably couldn't afford one other wise , Top gear have got a cheek critising Lexus because the poms make the worst cars on the planet , I now own a 1995 LS400 , 2008 RX350 and the 2008 SC430 hardly spend a penny on them except for changing the oil and fliters every 5000klms , the LS400 is getting close to 300,000 klms and runs like a clock yep thanks TG
Agree regarding the top gear guys being a little cocky. Many years ago before I knew better, I owned a UK built early 60's MGB as a daily driver for a couple of years. Something broke on that car every two weeks and my student level part-time paycheck completely disappeared into unending parts and labor on that MG. Finally I sold it for a loss just to be rid of it before it completely bankrupted me.
UK built cars and Lukas electric components, guages, distributors, relays, lights, and switches - "Lukas Electrics - The Power of Darkness".

In contrast the Lexus LS and SC have been the most reliable and trouble free cars I have ever owned.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-05-18 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
muzzmuzz (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 01:01 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Just like C&D magazine. I remember in the 80’s, anything
From Germany cannot go wrong with those guys

but if it was coming from the Rising Sun, it was a considered by
those “ car experts “as copy , inferior and cannot compete
With the Germans in build quality.

the irony is an S class from Mercedes that are maybe 10
years old are now worth about 20% if it’s original value

now look at what an LS430 for the same year and vintage go for
Today
Old 06-05-18, 04:00 PM
muzzmuzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the early 60s I bought a series 2 Landcover , I had to work on it all week to use it in the bush on the weekends , since then I bought another 4 Landrovers and a Range rover ( I'm a slow learner ) Landrover turning owners into mechanics sine 1947 if anything decent comes out of the UK it's beyond the reach of most of us mortals , in the last 30 years I've own 2 Toyota Hi LUX's , and 1 Landcruiser , my Land cruiser is heading up to 600,000 Klms and I hardly ever have to lay a spanner on it , yep thanks TG , OH I forgot to mention my current line up is 3 Lexus LS400 , RX350 and of course the SC430 , just drive the Lexus change the oil and the filters and the tyres and the battery now ans agin and that's it , YES again thanks Top Gear

Last edited by muzzmuzz; 06-07-18 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 10:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Just like C&D magazine. I remember in the 80’s, anything
From Germany cannot go wrong with those guys

but if it was coming from the Rising Sun, it was a considered by
those “ car experts “as copy , inferior and cannot compete
With the Germans in build quality.

the irony is an S class from Mercedes that are maybe 10
years old are now worth about 20% if it’s original value

now look at what an LS430 for the same year and vintage go for
Today
Lol, and they saved 20k or so when they bought it to begin with.

Who's your daddy now?
Old 06-06-18, 03:11 PM
sagmanaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I just recently bought an 02' SC430 with only 52K miles on it. It looks like it was babied by it's one original owner and besides a few paint chips it is in immaculate shape. The interior looks brand new. My girlfriend and I were in the market for a fun little convertible that wouldn't break the bank so we were looking at early 2000-ish SLKs or even a Boxster. After looking for about a month and finally doing some test drives we came across an SC430 on a lot that also had a Boxster we test drove. I'm not sure I ever noticed, or saw, a SC430 before, but the car really caught both of our eyes. I added the SC430 to our list of cars and sure enough the beauty we bought came up on my search the very next day at the local MB dealer. We went to test drive it the next day and brought it home shortly after. In our eyes the car is a beauty even at age 16.
Old 06-07-18, 04:42 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sagmanaur

I just recently bought an 02' SC430 with only 52K miles on it. It looks like it was babied by it's one original owner and besides a few paint chips it is in immaculate shape. The interior looks brand new. My girlfriend and I were in the market for a fun little convertible that wouldn't break the bank so we were looking at early 2000-ish SLKs or even a Boxster. After looking for about a month and finally doing some test drives we came across an SC430 on a lot that also had a Boxster we test drove. I'm not sure I ever noticed, or saw, a SC430 before, but the car really caught both of our eyes. I added the SC430 to our list of cars and sure enough the beauty we bought came up on my search the very next day at the local MB dealer. We went to test drive it the next day and brought it home shortly after. In our eyes the car is a beauty even at age 16.
Nice! That's identical to mine. Took me 6 months to find that colour combination in a low-mileage condition.
Old 06-07-18, 05:48 AM
Garcon281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a proud owner of a 2005 SC 430 I must agree with everyone that this is the first car I have bought and kept it in such good condition.
My SC has ~35K miles on it and I have not had any issues with it, but I have kept it in such great shape that every time I bring it out I get so many compliments and most strangers think it's a new Lexus. When I bought the car it was intended to be a 2nd car but living in Texas helped me keep it in the garage longer (so Hot & Humid) It is definitely a classic in my book.
Old 06-08-18, 05:42 AM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Garcon281
As a proud owner of a 2005 SC 430 I must agree with everyone that this is the first car I have bought and kept it in such good condition.
My SC has ~35K miles on it and I have not had any issues with it, but I have kept it in such great shape that every time I bring it out I get so many compliments and most strangers think it's a new Lexus. When I bought the car it was intended to be a 2nd car but living in Texas helped me keep it in the garage longer (so Hot & Humid) It is definitely a classic in my book.
I have to agree with you on this. I was at a gas station the other night in Santa Monica and this older gentleman thought my car was brand new! I told him I bought it used and that it's a 2005 and he just couldn't believe it!!
Old 06-08-18, 10:04 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 563 Likes on 429 Posts

Come to reliability, no car or no one beats Toyota, at least in my case. I owed a 91 LS430, sold at 343k miles. My wife previous 95 ES300 sold at 215K miles. My wife current 07 Prius is at 252K miles and still running fine. My current 07 Corolla, a driver training vehicle, is at 270k miles, still good for training 8-10 hours a day . So I can expect my 07 SC will last another 20 years easily. It might well be passed on to my grand daughter who is just 2 years old, when I leave this world.

Last edited by GmanSC; 06-08-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 05:10 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Last edited by jonas's RX; 06-08-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 05:17 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Gang

On the subject of Lexus/Toyota legendary quality,
I was at the dealer today and when I approached the
service bay, the Valet guy said” Wow, an SC 430,
these cars are the best Lexus made with the 430
engine and I think you are going to be happy to
see what we just put on display on my main lobby”

When I walked in, I see the SC430 right smack in
the main lobby on display. They also had the “ Originsl
LS 430 “ on display AND... the car had 500K and still
look looks me it came off the showroom floor.

I am replacing the front window corner gasket and getting the SC windows
Tinted .. These cars are starting to becoming
Iconic and as I predicted !

The legend lives.......

Quick Reply: Did the SC 430 aged well after 16 years ?