SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cost for new key - (Lexus SC 2006-2010)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 04:11 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cost for new key - (Lexus SC 2006-2010)

can't find this anywhere in thread search...what is the cost for a new key for a 2006-10 Lexus SC?
Old 06-19-18, 04:28 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

This is who I used and was VERY happy with https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-LEX...EAAOSwuvla3Vwp

I took a picture of my key and they pre-cut it and sent it to me. They also sell a programming device that will program it to your car.
Old 06-19-18, 06:56 PM
jeffgwaltney
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
This is who I used and was VERY happy with https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-LEX...EAAOSwuvla3Vwp

I took a picture of my key and they pre-cut it and sent it to me. They also sell a programming device that will program it to your car.
Thanks Daryk - sounds like a new 3 button SC key can be done for $30-40
Old 06-07-20, 04:53 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default hey Daryl,

looking at some old posts for key/fob replacements when i came upon your reply. However, the listing is gone . Can you provide any details so that i may order one as well?
Thank you.
Old 06-07-20, 07:18 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 566 Likes on 432 Posts

Tons of them on eBay or Amazon.
Old 06-08-20, 03:42 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Tons of them on eBay or Amazon.
Well, yes but there are tons of plastic surgeons out there as well . I'd want to do it once and do it right so i thought i'd ask for some experience. Thanks, I'll PM him .
Old 06-08-20, 10:26 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

The seller is called 1010keys. I have always been happy with them, but they only have a 98.6% feedback rating. You may want to search for a seller with a higher rating,

Still you can't beat sending a picture of your key and having them cut a working one from the picture. You do need some kind of software to program it though. Either Techstream or whatever mystery programming box they sell.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sof...g=200&_fosrp=1
Old 06-08-20, 10:28 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

It looks like they even have a kit, where you take out the circuit board in your keyfob and put it into a new Flip Style Key Fob
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3YR-warrant...lQ82hr&vxp=mtr
Old 06-08-20, 12:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

1010 is where I got my spare Key Fob, painless and reasonable price.
Old 06-09-20, 03:54 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Can you get a fob/key from them if all you have is the valet key? If 1010keys makes your key from a photo, i would think all you get is a duplicate of the key you sent ie. another valet key in this instance.
Is it possible to turn a valet key into a master? I think the difference is the groove on the side. No? Having said that, if that's the case, maybe it becomes a master since they ask for topical photo and no angle or side shots.
Old 06-09-20, 11:09 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Yes, you can make master key from valet key. It’s the groove that matter. You can drive the car with valet key but you can not open the glove box or center console. You will have to delete some programmed keys in the computer in order to program the new master key with Techstream.
Old 06-09-20, 11:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Can you get a fob/key from them if all you have is the valet key? .
as GMan said, you can have a master cut from a picture of the valet. The Valet key is actually fatter than a standard key, so it does not fit into the glove compartment or center console lock.

However, you cannot program a master key to your car with the valet key. You need to go to a locksmith and they have a machine that will do that.

You can also go to the dealer and have it done, but the locksmith is cheaper.

Another option involves getting a supervisor approval code for Techstream but it involves buying the one time code off someone on ebay.

Programming the remote is actually a different procedure than programming a key to start. that is a different google.
Old 06-09-20, 03:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

A good picture is enough for them to define what the cut will be. There are only a few iterations of the key cut (do not know the actual number of key cut iteration), hence with a picture they can create a key cut within the spec and they work. Then you have to program the key to be recognized but the security system

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Can you get a fob/key from them if all you have is the valet key? If 1010keys makes your key from a photo, i would think all you get is a duplicate of the key you sent ie. another valet key in this instance.
Is it possible to turn a valet key into a master? I think the difference is the groove on the side. No? Having said that, if that's the case, maybe it becomes a master since they ask for topical photo and no angle or side shots.
Old 06-09-20, 11:18 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Mandy, the valet key is not fatter than the regular key. They are both .1185 thick and .300 wide. The valet key is little bit longer but that’s irrelevant. It’s the cut at the edges that make the valet key not able to unlock the glove box or the center console.
I think you can program the master key from the valet key, provided that:
1. The valet key must be one of the master keys (you can have more than one master keys)
2. There is still a slot for programming a key.
Personally, I have not programmed the master key from the valet key, but I have done the opposite.

Old 06-10-20, 06:31 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about confusing and frustrating all at once.

So let's see if i understand: I can cut a master from my valet but cannot program the three button remote with or without Techstream. This must be done by experts or pros. UNLESS my valet had been registered as a master?
To put in a new master key , i must delete my previous masters in order to make room in the system for the new key.
How does the keymaker( for lack of a better term) know what set of buttons to put inside the three button key? From what i understand they run on a frequency and there are many different ones.Does the remote or the vehicle learn a code from the other? I've read about some operations being learned by cycling the key and hitting certain switches and buttons.
I should add that my frustration comes from this: Last year my wife and i went for a 1 1/2 hr drive to get a new key and fob for the SC since i only had the valet. I ended up with a switchblade type remote&key which was ideal except the guy couldn't get the remote to open the trunk remotely. Lock/unlock and key worked fine.So , I had what I needed a new key and the ability to lock/unlock remotely.. That was at the end of the 'season' before i put the car away for the winter.Finally got around to driving for the first time this year and we had a great time. Upon reflection of the day i realized i didn't use the new key!! Where is it? Turned house upside down and no new key. ARGHH!!

Moral: Don't let your wife touch your ***** Even if she says she NEVER touched it ! Of course, it will show up AFTER i get another one.

Quick Reply: Cost for new key - (Lexus SC 2006-2010)