SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus 430 SC hard top convrtible. The top not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 05:53 PM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 430 SC hard top convrtible. The top not working

Hard top opens about 25 percent then stops. Will close with the button. Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-18, 05:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by alyle1028
Hard top opens about 25 percent then stops. Will close with the button. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. Use the search button on the forum there are many threads on this subject read them and then you will understand where to start to diagnose your issue,
Old 06-26-18, 09:07 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

Default Hard top will not opened continued

Well the top did open this morning without incident. When I went to close it started to close, I mean just started and then stopped. I pushed the button to open and it fully opened I did this cycle 2 more times and now the red light on the switch stays on and nothing moves. It looks closed but the trunk will not open the red light on the open close switch is illuminated and it beeps at me continuously while driving. The nearest dealership is 2 hours away.
Old 06-26-18, 09:12 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Well the top did open this morning without incident. When I went to close it started to close, I mean just started and then stopped. I pushed the button to open and it fully opened I did this cycle 2 more times and now the red light on the switch stays on and nothing moves. It looks closed but the trunk will not open the red light on the open close switch is illuminated and it beeps at me continuously while driving. The nearest dealership is 2 hours away.
Sounds like your trunk is not completed closed try pressing down near where the lock would be. Have you tried to see if you press the interior trunk open button, If the trunk is not closed completely you will get the error. There is also a lot of sensors and there is a sensor that is in the trunk lock could be your issue . Check to make sure trunk is in fully closed position.
Old 06-26-18, 09:53 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

It's open still about and inch in the front corners of the hood. I can push down on them and they look flush, but I can still pull back up on the front of the hood and it opens around an inch. So my guess is it has not finished it's opening cycle. That would explain the trunk not opening with the switch. Cycled the trunk open button there is no effect. I would like to look at the cable to see if it is off track ... but I cannot access the trunk.
Old 06-26-18, 09:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

The convertible top system is quite intricate. It has a host of sensors and motors to make it work properly. One of the things it checks for is to make sure the motors are turning at the exact same rate.

I think this maybe your problem.

Your solution is easy or hard, depending on how patient you are.

You can wait and every time you start your car, you push the open button and open the top all the way. We know this has worked in the past

Or you can try the instructions in your owner's manual about how to raise/lower the top manually. This is a little more involved.

Ultimately your long term solution is to get the LEXUS SPECIFIC CONVERTIBLE TOP ERROR CODES. You can either get them at the dealer, a Lexus/Toyota specific mechanic or get access to a copy of TECHSTREAM, Toyota's diagnostic software.

Once you have the codes, we can tell you what is wrong with your top.

Do a search for Techstream and you can find out more about the software and how to get access to a copy
Old 06-26-18, 09:57 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

The other thing I think maybe happening is the cover by your back window isn't opening and closing properly. That would explain why your top stopped closing in mid movement. Also, if the part isn't in place properly, it would set the alarm off like it is doing now.

Looking at the back of your car, does anything appear to be out of place?
Old 06-26-18, 09:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
The convertible top system is quite intricate. It has a host of sensors and motors to make it work properly. One of the things it checks for is to make sure the motors are turning at the exact same rate.

I think this maybe your problem.

Your solution is easy or hard, depending on how patient you are.

You can wait and every time you start your car, you push the open button and open the top all the way. We know this has worked in the past

Or you can try the instructions in your owner's manual about how to raise/lower the top manually. This is a little more involved.

Ultimately your long term solution is to get the LEXUS SPECIFIC CONVERTIBLE TOP ERROR CODES. You can either get them at the dealer, a Lexus/Toyota specific mechanic or get access to a copy of TECHSTREAM, Toyota's diagnostic software.

Once you have the codes, we can tell you what is wrong with your top.

Do a search for Techstream and you can find out more about the software and how to get access to a copy
You could try a battery disconnect reset, You would lose your seat memory settings and would need to re initialize the seats as well as lost your radio presets
Old 06-26-18, 10:00 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

Will I be able to raise the top manually if I have no access to the trunk?
Old 06-26-18, 10:11 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

Old 06-26-18, 10:13 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

I can push down on the front edges and they will lay flat. But now change in symptoms
Old 06-26-18, 10:13 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Will I be able to raise the top manually if I have no access to the trunk?
There is an emergency trunk release cable in the bottom of your glove compartment under the liner. Pulling that releases the trunk latch.

Do you have the owner's manual? If not, you can search/find the "Emergency Top Instructions" written out somewhere on this forum
Old 06-26-18, 10:14 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

no change in symptoms
Old 06-26-18, 10:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thanks for the pictures. The part I was talking about is the black part by the back seat headrests. It is called the package tray. It appears to be closed all the way, so you are probably good in that respect.
Old 06-26-18, 10:25 AM
alyle1028
Driver School Candidate

Okay! I got the trunk open. I closed it. And now when I try to close the top it starts to close .... about 6" and then goes back down. It does not fully go back down in to the open position until I use the open button then it goes to fully open. And there is no beep when trying to drive it. Now that I have access to the trunk what should I check?

Quick Reply: Lexus 430 SC hard top convrtible. The top not working