SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cost of ownership after 100k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 09:42 AM
mks1130
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of ownership after 100k miles?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you could give some insight to cost of ownership of an SC430 after it hits 100K miles. To give you a little background on the car:

-2003 model
-106,000 miles
-Has been garage kept most of its life
-It has been involved in 3 accidents (Rear end collision, Side-swiped in a parking lot, and one hit to the driver side door by a drunk driver while the SC was parked in a driveway. The last accident did a good bit of damage to the driver-side door and wheel, but had no severe consequence on the driving)

My father is offering to sell it to me for a steal of $5,000. I currently drive a 2017 Subaru Forester which I love, but am giving it to my wife because her sedan just died and she wants an SUV. I've considered just purchasing something along the lines of a new Camry and taking on a small monthly car payment, but we're young and currently only worried about a small mortgage (would love to keep it that way for as long as possible). I love the SC430s, they're a blast to drive and very durable from what I've observed. My concern came about after I spoke to an employee at our local dealership about the potential purchase and he made a sarcastic remark about how I should just get a new car because the SC is a "money pit" in its later years. I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight as to some of the expenses I would need to worry about if I did go through with the purchase. My only initial concern was the 100k maintenance that ran about $1,500 or so, but that is taken care of. Any ballpark estimates would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
Old 06-28-18, 04:25 PM
Goldwinger
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After the 100k service, not much except normal maintenance unless something breaks. Its no more cost involved to service one that any of the other Lexus or Toyota models that use the same parts. If dad has kept up on things like changing the trans and diff fluids, flushing out the brake fluid every few years then it should be a car with another 100k miles with just normal repairs. Even a purchase from dad you should take and get independents opinion on the condition.
Old 06-28-18, 04:48 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

timing belt and accessories is the big one. just had the radiator pop on mine (06 with 102k) and it was $500ish to change. ball joints were bad - replaced for $300ish

in general cars with over 100k/10 years old have bushings, anything rubber go bad, but its all pretty normal wear and tear.

btw you have some rare wheels on there - the old TRD dealer option wheels. they do not make them anymore
Old 06-28-18, 05:08 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by mks1130

-2003 model
-106,000 miles
-It has been involved in 3 accidents (Rear end collision, Side-swiped in a parking lot, and one hit to the driver side door by a drunk driver while the SC was parked in a driveway. The last accident did a good bit of damage to the driver-side door and wheel, but had no severe consequence on the driving)

I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight as to some of the expenses I would need to worry about if I did go through with the purchase. My only initial concern was the 100k maintenance that ran about $1,500 or so, but that is taken care of. Any ballpark estimates would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
Mind if I ask a few questions to get a better understanding of your circumstance?

Were the accident repairs done by a reputable body shop?
Does the convertible top work? (Often times SC's that have been rear ended have top problems)
Does the car have a "Normal" title? (Not salvage or restored salvage)
Do you do repairs yourself? Do you go to the dealer for repairs? Do you take it to an independent garage for repairs?
Old 06-28-18, 07:22 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you could give some insight to cost of ownership of an SC430 after it hits 100K miles. To give you a little background on the car:

-2003 model
-106,000 miles
My father is offering to sell it to me for a steal of $5,000.
I've considered just purchasing something along the lines of a new Camry and taking on a small monthly car payment,
we're young and currently only worried about a small mortgage (would love to keep it that way for as long as possible).
I love the SC430s, they're a blast to drive and very durable from what I've observed.
Long story short...
If you buying @ $5000 is a discounted price, keeping about $3000 in your pocket
0 monthly payment
Depreciation is low
Insurance cost is low.
Anything you spend on maintenance is an investment and not expense.
The cost of ownership after 100k miles is low.
Old 06-28-18, 07:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Hey guys,

-2003 model
-106,000 miles

My father is offering to sell it to me for a steal of $5,000. I currently drive a 2017 Subaru Forester which I love, but am giving it to my wife because her sedan just died and she wants an SUV. I've considered just purchasing something along the lines of a new Camry and taking on a small monthly car payment, but we're young and currently only worried about a small mortgage (would love to keep it that way for as long as possible). I love the SC430s, they're a blast to drive and very durable from what I've observed. My concern came about after I spoke to an employee at our local dealership about the potential purchase and he made a sarcastic remark about how I should just get a new car because the SC is a "money pit" in its later years. I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight as to some of the expenses I would need to worry about if I did go through with the purchase. My only initial concern was the 100k maintenance that ran about $1,500 or so, but that is taken care of. Any ballpark estimates would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
the first thing I would tell you is to NEVER listen to that person again who told you to get a new car and a HUGE car payment!
never, ever get a car payment, why you ask, because cars depreciate and you will always owe more than the car is worth.

as for the SC430, if you can do some of your own maintenance, the you should be okay...these cars are like others, they need the basic maintenance...BTW, changing a radiator is easy, four bolts, two hoses and two transmission lines. It’s an hour job and $90 for a new Denso OEM radiator.
The following users liked this post:
reggie772 (07-02-18)
Old 06-29-18, 07:46 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

My only concern from your description is the rear end collision. How severe was it? Rear end collision have the potential of damaging the convertible top where the resulting damage may not be apparent and may not present a problem for years. Damage to just one of the controlling hinges will run well into the thousands of dollars and isn’t anything I believe can be handled by even the most talented of outside mechanics. (They have neither the specialized tools nor practical experience)

Other than that, are you prepared for premium gas costs and about 18~20 miles per gallon tops which is not what you’re use to in your previous car. Lately gasoline prices seems to be on a steep upward trajectory.

As with most cars over 100K, things will break and or just wear out. But this Lexus and its motor have a history of reliability, and reasonable repair costs, especially if you are willing to do some yourself. For example, a problem with the audio system is poor quality door woofers. The speaker cone separates from the frame causing obvious distortions. The cost of repair can be as little as $35 (DIY refoaming) and your time, or as much as $400 per speaker (Dealer parts and labor). Same thing with the subwoofer but the labor is intensive, nearly the trunks entire interior needs to come apart to get to it.

Finally, I’ll add this. The “sticky” threads at the top of our forum have a wealth of information for those thinking of buying this car, take the time and read about the known problem areas then really inspect the car. Oh, and if a problem does rear its ugly head, the Advanced Search tool can usually find a thread that covers it here on Club Lexus’ best forum.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-29-18 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mks1130 (06-29-18)
Old 06-29-18, 08:01 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You should run away from this car as quick as possible -- do not buy.

Then, give me your Dad's address and I will be there in a day to purchase it.
Old 06-29-18, 08:07 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

LOL this post made my day.

But as far as advice, I think hes giving you a bargain as long as the body work was done well and no top issues.
Old 06-29-18, 01:42 PM
mks1130
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goldwinger
After the 100k service, not much except normal maintenance unless something breaks. Its no more cost involved to service one that any of the other Lexus or Toyota models that use the same parts. If dad has kept up on things like changing the trans and diff fluids, flushing out the brake fluid every few years then it should be a car with another 100k miles with just normal repairs. Even a purchase from dad you should take and get independents opinion on the condition.
Thanks for the reply!
Dad babied this car for the last 15 years. I can 100% guarantee that service/maintenance was in a VERY timely manner. Will look into getting a second opinion.
Old 06-29-18, 01:45 PM
mks1130
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgeeez
timing belt and accessories is the big one. just had the radiator pop on mine (06 with 102k) and it was $500ish to change. ball joints were bad - replaced for $300ish

in general cars with over 100k/10 years old have bushings, anything rubber go bad, but its all pretty normal wear and tear.

btw you have some rare wheels on there - the old TRD dealer option wheels. they do not make them anymore
Great thank you for your reply!
Awesome that you noticed the wheels. Unfortunately he lost a wheel cap on the front drivers side and we have been unable to find a replacement. Been searching for about 18 months now.
Old 06-29-18, 01:52 PM
mks1130
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

This cracked me up hahaha. However, if you at any point in time decide you want to purchase one, he will be selling his second one this Fall-- a 2005 model with 96k miles that has been garage kept, has been in no accidents, and he just put a new set of wheels on them.

Old 06-29-18, 02:02 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

That white one will sell quickly, and for way more than $5k! Looks like a well-maintained SC!
Old 06-30-18, 10:48 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

The SC430 is one of the most reliable cars on the road. There are several members on this forum with cars well over 100k miles and several with over 200k miles on them. Yes, it is a 15 year old car, so you can expect a little maintenance on it occasionally, but for the most part it will not be a money pit, especially since you know the current owner very well and have seen how he has taken care of it. I'd say that your dad is doing you a large.
Old 07-06-18, 12:40 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This cracked me up hahaha. However, if you at any point in time decide you want to purchase one, he will be selling his second one this Fall-- a 2005 model with 96k miles that has been garage kept, has been in no accidents, and he just put a new set of wheels on them.
so, what did you decide? why would he sell his 2005?