roof don't close

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 07:43 AM
forplatina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof don't close

Hello,

I am french so sorry if my english is bad.

I have a problem with the roof of my SC430. I was able to lower it without difficulty today..

But since then, it's impossible for me to close it. The close button does not react.

If I press on the open button, I can hear a small contact noise that seems to confirm that the button is functional.

I even tested with another air conditioning unit because I had one in stock and it's same.

In short, I do not see where the problem can come from. And I find myself with the car open roof ....

The open / closed button does not turn on red either.

It lights up red only if I'm "having fun" pressing the trunk lock button in the glove box.
But otherwise nothing at all ...

Do you have an idea please
Old 06-29-18, 08:12 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Sound like one of the many switches or senors May have failed. But the obvious questions are: have you checked all the fuses and have you disconnected the battery for a minimum of 30 seconds. There are several fuses associated with the convertible top. Sometimes, a reset of the roof ECU (battery disconnect) resolves the error.

Regarding switches/senors, there are several. Without an error, (trouble code -DTC) code. It is difficult to diagnose. If you can get a trouble code we are pretty good at coming up with solutions. Unfortunately the trouble codes are proprietary to Lexus (B2500-2550) and most generic OBDII readers will not capture them. In addition, the are active codes so they are not stored after the ignition is shut off. This typically means going to a dealer for diagnosis of the problem.
Old 06-29-18, 08:25 AM
forplatina
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to unplug the battery for a few minutes but without success.

I will test by unplugging it longer.

Should it disconnect the two poles of the battery or the negative terminal is enough?

Thank you
Old 06-29-18, 09:18 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by forplatina
Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to unplug the battery for a few minutes but without success.

I will test by unplugging it longer.

Should it disconnect the two poles of the battery or the negative terminal is enough?

Thank you
Always disconnect the negative terminal first [ Not necessary to disconnect the positive unless your taking battery out ]
Reason is if you disconnected the positive terminal and then touched the chassis or any metal this would be a direct short since the negative cable is ALWAYS GROUNDED
Old 06-29-18, 09:46 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Hello,
Do you have an idea please
The convertible top system is reading an error and so your top won't go up. It is very possible that if you try the top button every time you start your car, the top will go up. This is just a temporary or one time fix.

If you don't want to wait, you can get the directions from your owner's manual and put the top up manually.

Your ultimate solution is to take the car to a TOYOTA/LEXUS mechanic. You need the toyota/lexus specific codes to find out what is wrong with your top. Once you get those codes, we can either help you solve your problem, or the mechanic can solve your problem.

If you like to solve problems yourself, you can get a copy of techstream off ebay and read the codes yourself.
Old 06-29-18, 09:53 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

This person has your same problem https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...working-2.html
Old 06-29-18, 10:04 AM
forplatina
Driver School Candidate

my problem is that nothing happens at all by pressing the close button even when starting the car.

No problem before. So I will test to disconnect the battery (I put it in recharge for the moment just in case)

And I have an OBD2 diagnostic player but that does not show anything. No false code.

But I have an "chinese" Teckstream (no OEM) never test.

I will test it if I can read somes codes.

Last edited by forplatina; 06-29-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 10:57 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

But I have an "chinese" Teckstream (no OEM) never test.

I will test it if I can read somes codes.
That will help you a lot. The convertible won't set any codes that are stored in the computer.

In order to test your top, you need to have tech stream running and press the button. After you press the button, the system does a self check and a code will pop up in techstream.

I bet you will get a "Short in pulse width modulation"

Once you get the codes, you can look at this chart to see what they mean https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...cc__40001_.pdf

Old 06-29-18, 11:35 AM
forplatina
Driver School Candidate

Okay,Waiting I tried again by unplugging the battery 45 minutes and it did not change anything. The button in the open position still allows to mount the windows. But the button in the closed position does nothing.
Old 06-29-18, 02:18 PM
forplatina
Driver School Candidate

Ok I can check with the "chinese" techstream.

The code is B2522 Roof Close Switch LH Malfunction

An idea ?

Thanks
Old 06-29-18, 03:53 PM
VVTiBob

Roof close limit switch is in the A pillar ...let’s find a previous thread on this repair
Old 06-29-18, 03:58 PM
VVTiBob

Please read this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-problems.html ....while it was the right side and yours is the left the concept is the same. AND it turned out that owner discovered he caused his own problems. Post #14 has a PDF pointing to the problem component.
Old 06-29-18, 04:03 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Take a look at this picture BGW gave me. It shows the bad switch (Roof CLOSE LH) is up by the driver's side visor. Maybe you can look at the switch and see if anything is visually wrong.

Old 06-29-18, 04:06 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Bob, do you have the part of the Shop Manual that covers B2522?
Old 06-29-18, 04:23 PM
VVTiBob

84742-24030 is the part he needs. But he must also check his year model and any European uniqueness.
Shop manual page 05-1294 but mine is an 02 year model. His car is an 07 I believe.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-29-18 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: roof don't close