SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

AC Switching Vents Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 10:43 AM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC Switching Vents Problem

Hi all,, having a weird issue with my '02 SC430 AC. When I put the AC on it will constantly switch between the dash vents and the floor vents,, very frustrating. Does anyone know what might be causing that? I've never seen this before in any other car I've had so I'm not sure what the deal is. Im thinking it may have something to do with the vacuum hoses or a relay but not sure. Anyone have an idea of what's going on???
Old 07-02-18, 11:54 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I have no idea what’s going on. But I have some guesses. But, first a question, have you run through the on-board self diagnostics? You’ll find two PDFs in this thread, POST #2. Please run through them them let us know the reseults. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...04-blower.html
Old 07-02-18, 12:04 PM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I have no idea what’s going on. But I have some guesses. But, first a question, have you run through the on-board self diagnostics? You’ll find two PDFs in this thread, POST #2. Please run through them them let us know the reseults. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...04-blower.html
Ok will do,,, thanks for the help!!!!
Old 07-02-18, 12:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Sounded like you are having a computer problem. I would first try to disconnect the battery, then try to reset the ECU. Someone in this forum can help how to. What’s happened if you put in Auto function?
Good luck.
Old 07-03-18, 11:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
What’s happened if you put in Auto function?

Good point Gman! What happens if you switch it on your A/C Control panel to vents only. Does it switch to the floor vents on it's own? If you put it on the floor vents, does it stay that way? Does it ever display that it is coming out the front vents but physically comes out the bottom vents?

What I want to determine is if your control panel is telling your vents to do something, but they aren't responding.

This will help determine if it is a control panel problem or a servo problem.

Old 07-03-18, 12:06 PM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Good point Gman! What happens if you switch it on your A/C Control panel to vents only. Does it switch to the floor vents on it's own? If you put it on the floor vents, does it stay that way? Does it ever display that it is coming out the front vents but physically comes out the bottom vents?

What I want to determine is if your control panel is telling your vents to do something, but they aren't responding.

This will help determine if it is a control panel problem or a servo problem.
Yea I've tried to put it in Auto before also but it still does the same thing. Ive tried to put it on both dash and floor vents and it still does the same thing. Really weird. And when I say it constantly switches between the two vents, I mean like every second it switches,,, literally. It stays on for a sec, switches for one sec, and on and on. Very frustrating
Old 07-03-18, 12:07 PM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Sounded like you are having a computer problem. I would first try to disconnect the battery, then try to reset the ECU. Someone in this forum can help how to. What’s happened if you put in Auto function?
Good luck.

I haven't tried to disconnect the battery and resetting the ECU but will try that today after work most likely
Old 07-03-18, 02:19 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwdrook
I mean like every second it switches,,, literally. It stays on for a sec, switches for one sec, and on and on. Very frustrating
Can you tell if it switches back and forth, or if it comes out of both at the same time but cuts out momentarily.
Old 07-04-18, 05:28 AM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Can you tell if it switches back and forth, or if it comes out of both at the same time but cuts out momentarily.

No you can def feel that it's going back and forth between the dash and floor vents. I also noticed that my compressor is clicking on and off pretty constant also. I don't think the compressor would be making the vents constantly switch the way it is now
Old 07-04-18, 05:23 PM
Goldwinger
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really would be helpful if you had a way to connect to the system and see what going on. The right software and you can pull codes and control the system.
Sounds like a relay might be making and breaking contact. Turning the compressor on and off. I would look at the ac relay. Maybe switch it with another one and see if the compressor will stay on.