SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Side Mirror diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 06:11 PM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side Mirror diagnosis

Neither the driver or passenger side mirrors will adjust with the switch. There is no noise when I try the switch, so how do I know if it's the motor, gears, or both? And how would you go about testing the switch itself? Thanks.
Old 07-08-18, 07:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Not meaning to state the obvious, but do you have the directional switch pushed over to the side you are trying to move? (Okay, but I had to ask.)

Look up the associated fuse for the mirrors and check it. It is not likely the gears, as unless they are both locked up, the motors would still run if given power. There is a controller for the mirrors, you'll need to make sure that it is getting power. I suspect that a power loss somewhere (fuse, disconnected connector, bad controller) is the root of the problem, not a mechanical problem.
Old 07-09-18, 03:46 AM
tarheel49
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did check the fuse (no offense taken on the obvious), like you I suspected a power loss somewhere vs. a mechanical problem. Thanks.
Old 07-09-18, 05:38 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Check power coming into the switch. If there is, then check power coming out of the switch when you operate it. Then you will know if it's before the switch, the switch, or after the switch. Narrows Down where you are looking. From the sounds of it you may very well find the plug loose on the back of the switch when you go to check it.
Old 07-09-18, 09:44 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Offering my 2¢ worth... The chances of both mirrors mechanical components failing at the same time are slim to none. That leaves the switches, ECU-controllers x5, junction boxes and wiring harnesses. My first question is do the mirrors move (tilt downward) when the switch is in the correct position AND the car is put in reverse (reverse shift-link feature)?

Next, has anyone recently touched any of the wiring at the junction boxe? If so, were the modular connector properly connected i.e. seated in the receptacles? We’ve also seen instances where water has caused corrosion and intermittent problems. The ECUs are located here: inside each door, under each front seat, adjacent to the driver’s side J/B for a total of five. But one circuit does actually run through the luggage compartment J/B. The are two junction boxes, driver’s and passenger’s side kick panel.

My factory service manual actually has 30+ pages of diagnostics and active tests to isolate the faulty component(s) for the mirrors which require 12volts and a volt/ohm meter.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-09-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 09:23 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Offering my 2¢ worth... The chances of both mirrors mechanical components failing at the same time are slim to none. That leaves the switches, ECU-controllers x5, junction boxes and wiring harnesses. My first question is do the mirrors move (tilt downward) when the switch is in the correct position AND the car is put in reverse (reverse shift-link feature)?
I second this.

Also just to clarify for OP, assuming the SC's mirrors & switches work in the same fashion as they do in the LS430, the "correct position" for the mirror switch is to have either the left or right mirror selected. My mirrors do not tilt down in reverse when the left/right mirror selection switch is in the center position.
Old 07-12-18, 11:01 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Also just to clarify for OP, assuming the SC's mirrors & switches work in the same fashion as they do in the LS430, the "correct position" for the mirror switch is to have either the left or right mirror selected. My mirrors do not tilt down in reverse when the left/right mirror selection switch is in the center position.
I knew I forgot something important! And YES, the switch works the same as the LS models.