SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 04:22 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, the cable should come with the drivers and windows update can usually find them too. Obviously you need to be connected to the internet. As far as the cable version goes it should not matter much to my knowledge. I'm using an older cable and version 14 of TS.

I just emulate 32 bit windows 7 via my MacBook Pro. Remember when it used to take an hour or more to install the OS. Amazing to install the full OS into a virtual machine in like 5 min. 32 gb ram and I9 processors obviously help but it's almost surreal.

​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-07-20 at 05:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RENEGATE28 (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20, 07:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 881 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by RENEGATE28
I know this is an old thread, so I apologize in advance. I am currently in the process of installing Techstream. I have been doing my fair share of research and began reading the forum thread “techstream opportunity???” In that thread I learned that the 1.4.1 VCI cable is not the best option. I also learned that Version 13 has a bad rep for being unreliable and that version 12 is the best option. I was then redirected to this thread (post 155) where a link is provided in order to install techstream version 12. I have followed all of the steps, however I am stuck now. (I have a Dell Inspiron Duo 32 bit- windows 7 laptop just FYI). The file “MVCI Driver for TOYOTA” is not there! I cannot procede. this is what I see:

I do not have the VCI cable yet. Is this why it is not popping up? Does plugging in the cable allow the file to pop up? I’ve done everything correct up to this point, even replacing the MainMenu.exe file.

If it is the cable that I am missing, can anyone direct me to a good one? Obdii365.com states that the verified cables for this tech stream software are:
Xhorse MVCI
VXDIAG VCX NANO for Toyota

However, these are 1.4.1 cables. Aren’t the version 2 cables the one you guys are recommending. What should I get? Please let me know so I can order ASAP and start working on my car. Thank you sooo much!
give this v12 copy a try, I think I tried it. Just download to a memory stick, dvd or whatever. A stand-alone machine is fine.
BTW, if it says to update anything, including java, say no.
http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/05/09/...free-download/

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-07-20 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jphowey (08-09-21)
Old 03-07-20, 08:53 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 555 Likes on 422 Posts

Installation of Techstream is straight forward if you install it to 32-bit machine. It’s bit stricky if you install it to the 64-bit computer.
Buy the software, the cable is included, vice versa.
Old 03-07-20, 11:07 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Can more than 1 Techstream software version be installed on the same machine at the same time?

I have a version 8 installed right now and would like to attempt to update it, but it was so much trouble to get that 8 up and running on my machine that I'm hesitant to uninstall the old version and attempt to bring in a new one if there's a chance that it will not work and then I have to go back through all the pain of reinstalling the older version.
Old 03-07-20, 12:03 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 158 Posts

[QUOTE=Harold57;10753498]Can more than 1 Techstream software version be installed on the same machine at the same time?

I have a version 8 installed right now and would like to attempt to update it, but it was so much trouble to get that 8 up and running on my machine that I'm hesitant to uninstall the old version and attempt to bring in a new one if there's a chance that it will not work and then I have to go back through all the pain of reinstalling the older version.[/QUOTE

Possible, but unlikely. Most programs use the same folder in Windows File Explorer to store the files needed to run the program. You may be able to install to a new folder and then create an additional shortcut to the executable. You could try, no harm in that. It just depends on whether the install process allows a different location. If it does not, just cancel the install as it will likely just overwrite what you already have.
Old 03-07-20, 12:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
Can more than 1 Techstream software version be installed on the same machine at the same time?

I have a version 8 installed right now and would like to attempt to update it, but it was so much trouble to get that 8 up and running on my machine that I'm hesitant to uninstall the old version and attempt to bring in a new one if there's a chance that it will not work and then I have to go back through all the pain of reinstalling the older version.
I know it’s always tempting to update to the newer version...I always update, but in this case, will a newer offer additional modes or tests?
for the most part, I always thought the newer version added newer models and years...perhaps bugs and fixes but hey, it’s already bootleg SW.
your call Harold, but if it does what you need...well you know.
Old 03-07-20, 01:17 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

All good points. I think that until I buy a newer Toyota product that I will just stick with the working version that I have. If I had tons of time and enjoyed trying to out frustrate the computer and software then I'd take it on. Like you said BGW, what I got is working and does what I currently need and I'm satisfied with that. It is what came with the product that I purchased anyway.
Old 03-07-20, 01:51 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Newer version isn’t necessarily better. Case in point, version 13 has bugs versus version 12 (don’t know about ver 14). Newer software and firmware are upgraded for newer vehicle models. If you have that worked for your car, I say just leave it alone.
When I downgraded Techstream from version 13 to version 12, I thought I just swapped the .exe file. Well, it didn’t work. So I uninstalled ver 13 and reinstalled ver 12. Then I ran into the problem since I installed it to 64-bit Windows 10, I ended up contacted my vendor for help. They fixed it in five minutes via TeamViewer. Luckily, version 12 also works with my wife RAV4, so I’m covered.
Old 04-20-20, 06:03 PM
LeonS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the "real" story on mini VCI firmware versions? It seems there is a lot of misinformation/guesswork out there. I am planning to get one for a 2019. There are less and less of the v2.0.4 cables available, and the ones that are available are expensive. So, what REALLY is the difference?
This is what I've heard:
1. Earlier firmware does not support k-line protocol? It is my understanding that this protocol is only needed for many older vehicles. (it seems counterintuitive; newer firmware needed for older vehicles).
2. Earlier firmware does not allow active testing? However, I tested a neighbors cable with 1.4.1 firmware on my 2019 and was able to do engine active tests (I actually ran one to completion).

So, my question is, if the 1.4.0 firmware works on newer vehicles, and can apparently do active tests (at least on my 2019), what are the "real" reasons for getting the much more expensive 2.0.4?

Is there anyone who has had the chance to use both on a recent model vehicle who can enlighten me/us?

Regards,
Leon
Old 04-20-20, 06:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeonS
What is the "real" story on mini VCI firmware versions? It seems there is a lot of misinformation/guesswork out there. I am planning to get one for a 2019. There are less and less of the v2.0.4 cables available, and the ones that are available are expensive. So, what REALLY is the difference?
This is what I've heard:
1. Earlier firmware does not support k-line protocol? It is my understanding that this protocol is only needed for many older vehicles. (it seems counterintuitive; newer firmware needed for older vehicles).
2. Earlier firmware does not allow active testing? However, I tested a neighbors cable with 1.4.1 firmware on my 2019 and was able to do engine active tests (I actually ran one to completion).

So, my question is, if the 1.4.0 firmware works on newer vehicles, and can apparently do active tests (at least on my 2019), what are the "real" reasons for getting the much more expensive 2.0.4?

Is there anyone who has had the chance to use both on a recent model vehicle who can enlighten me/us?

Regards,
Leon
since this is an SC430 area, I can tell you my v1.4.1 works fine on my 2002 and my 2007 SC430s.
they only cost $20-$25 dollars. How expensive did you see them?
Old 04-20-20, 07:44 PM
LeonS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the price I see for them. It is the 2.0.4 ones that are expensive. Can you do active tests with the 1.4.1 cable?
Old 04-21-20, 01:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeonS
That is the price I see for them. It is the 2.0.4 ones that are expensive. Can you do active tests with the 1.4.1 cable?
yes, I can do tests and change setting but cannot program an ECU etc.

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-21-20 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 04:40 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

And the frustration continues...
thought i would get back to my techstream to register my new tpms' for my Sc.I couldn't find my laptop with techstream on it( honestly, I'd get lost in a one car parade) so i ended up buying a 'new' laptop with Windows7 64 bit and installed TS.Laptop came with windows 10 but i thought i remebered reading that windows 7 was better so i had him unistall 10 and reinstall 7 which is what it originally came with. Now, when i try to open techstream and connect it asks for new key. ARGHHH!!.
Should uninstall TS and reinstall?
Old 07-09-20, 08:04 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

OK, you have two problems.

1. The installation was incorrect. You need to uninstall completely and reinstall. Use the version 12 in the link.
2. After the installation, you will get an error message “can not connect to VIM” because Window 7-64 bit. You need Win 7 - 32 bit.
Old 07-09-20, 08:13 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 158 Posts

While we are on the subject. I have used Techstream for a number of years. About 2 years ago I used it last to program my new 06 TPMS. Always connected without problem. Today I go to connect and nothing. I cannot get it to connect to read anything. I have removed the cable drivers and reinstalled without success. Same computer and cable and same car. I do IT work guys and I have no idea what could have changed sitting in my closet for 2 years.