SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 11:37 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
While we are on the subject. I have used Techstream for a number of years. About 2 years ago I used it last to program my new 06 TPMS. Always connected without problem. Today I go to connect and nothing. I cannot get it to connect to read anything. I have removed the cable drivers and reinstalled without success. Same computer and cable and same car. I do IT work guys and I have no idea what could have changed sitting in my closet for 2 years.
Was the re-installation successful or you had erro message saying that can not connect to VIM?
Old 07-09-20, 02:34 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Was the re-installation successful or you had erro message saying that can not connect to VIM?
Since I couldn't get it working with W7 I decided to install W10 and see how that went. I downloaded from the link that BGW included and installed version 12 of Techstream. It has a Key text included but it doesn't activate the software as directed so I can't see if it will connect. When I put the USB cable into the computer it immediately recognized the hardware (cable) and installed the M VCI drivers and it shows up in the Device Manager. But, when I try to use the software it continually asks for a new key and the one provided in the download does not work. BGW, if you read this and have used that link, how did you get the software to proceed when connecting to the vehicle?
Old 07-09-20, 04:10 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I got it installed after changing over to 32-bit But now it wants 'New key'. please advise and thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-20, 05:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Iolmaster and daddio,

If you are having problem with key verification, go back to post #128 of this thread and read on, Dennis had exact problem. You will find the solution in post #155 and #161.

Last edited by GmanSC; 07-09-20 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 01:26 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Gman, the link in #155 doesn't work any longer. Is there an updated link?
Old 07-10-20, 07:29 AM
iolmaster
Racer

So here is my recent experience. I installed both the Techstream software and got the registration to work by copying the mainmenue.exe to the bin folder. In the VIM select X-Horse was not available since the drivers are not recognized by 64 bit machines. There is a registry hack and I used that and sure enough the X-Horse was select able. I think I am making progress. Everything is right where it is supposed to be in the Device manager and in the software. Still won't connect. Getting the Unable to connect to vehicle VIM error. I have no idea why it worked in the past and I used it to program my new TPMS and now won't work on either 32 bit or 64 bit machines. Oh well, not a big deal. Mostly a toy since I doubt I will ever replace the TPMS again.
Old 07-10-20, 11:04 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
Gman, the link in #155 doesn't work any longer. Is there an updated link?
Link’s still good. Anyhow, here is direct link to download.

https://mega.nz/#!91EmzBwC!UM6oi3gGA...OZzqLb9Qw7ajmo

The following users liked this post:
Tre6ix (06-03-24)
Old 07-10-20, 08:13 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

So here is my recent experience. I installed both the Techstream software and got the registration to work by copying the mainmenue.exe to the bin folder. In the VIM select X-Horse was not available since the drivers are not recognized by 64 bit machines. There is a registry hack and I used that and sure enough the X-Horse was select able. I think I am making progress. Everything is right where it is supposed to be in the Device manager and in the software. Still won't connect. Getting the Unable to connect to vehicle VIM error. I have no idea why it worked in the past and I used it to program my new TPMS and now won't work on either 32 bit or 64 bit machines. Oh well, not a big deal. Mostly a toy since I doubt I will ever replace the TPMS again.
The only time you run into problem is installed it to a 64 bit Window. I would install it to a 32-bit Window, but need to uninstall the previous completely. It’s straight forward.
Old 07-11-20, 05:19 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by GmanSC
The only time you run into problem is installed it to a 64 bit Window. I would install it to a 32-bit Window, but need to uninstall the previous completely. It’s straight forward.
Not true. My original install was on a W7 32 bit and worked and then stopped working. Many people have had issues with these cables on 32 bit machines. Remember, these are $30 knock offs.
Old 07-11-20, 09:59 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Not true. My original install was on a W7 32 bit and worked and then stopped working. Many people have had issues with these cables on 32 bit machines. Remember, these are $30 knock offs.
Ah, I did not think about hardware problem. In this case, spend another 30 bucks for new cable and hope that was the problem. Have a nice day, bud.
Old 07-13-20, 04:31 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Default Gman, Bgw

I uninstalled W7 64 bit and reinstalled W7 32bit.I then proceeded to fumble around and after going back and forth through this post i managed to get to the TPMS screen and proceeded to register the tires. As someone said it was dead easy. After getting all 4 tires to register i clicked exit , thinking it was over.However, the light was still on (solidly) on the dash. I again, registered them as main set but still had the light on the dash. I thought i remembered that someone had said you needed to go for a quick drive to complete registration and so i did. Light still on as well as vsc and another light i can't remember but , if i recall, the two go hand in hand.
So , I replay everything i did in my mind to see if i can think of something that i missed or did extra. The one thing i did that i am not sure of was that i had the engine running. I wasn't sure of where the key should be IE. acc, engine on... and maybe this is what threw things off but i figured since i didn't get any indication on the comp and the fact that it seemed like it was going smoothly i just forged ahead.
SO, obviously I've done some thing or not done something wrong/right. Please advise and thanks for all your contributions.
P.s. if i remember the lights on the dash they are able to be erased by jumping #4 and #14 pins(or something close to that) , so i'm not worried about them too much.
Old 07-13-20, 06:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Engine should be off, key on.

try it again.
Old 07-13-20, 11:19 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Dadio, congratulations on the successful installation of TechStream. Now you can explore many useful functions of the software. For your warning light, if you have a pre-07 SC, disconnecting the cables will work. But first, use TechSteam to determine that indeed your sensors are good by checking the battery voltage and the tire pressure (make sure that lower and upper threshold are set). Read the sticky on TPMS.

Last edited by GmanSC; 07-14-20 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 12:44 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

For your warning light, if you have a pre-07 SC, disconnecting the cables will work. I hope you don't mean to disconnect the cables from the unit under the console. I like to have everything working and don't mind putting in the work to get it done. Since most of us have eliminated run flats , it seems to me we should try to avoid this practice.
KOEO(key on, engine off)-- got it, thanks.
Old 07-14-20, 03:58 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Default Update:

Today i went in to the glove box and selected Main set of tires.After reading some posts i decided to check if my car had this and sure enough it was on second but i had been trying to program Main. Well once i did that i hooked up Techstream and i could see my sensors!! Thank you , guys!
NOW this is where it goes south: Having erased my TPMS light and full of confidence and on the advice of Gman i decided to look around the systems and decided to erase my VSC light with the Techstream. Previously i had jumped the obd with a wire and i should have done this again BUT NO !! So now i have VSC light AND ABS symbol on my dash. ARGHH!!!
Damn you Gman!!LOL!!

How can i erase DTC codes?
I remain,
Stupid.
Update #2: did the wire jumper via 3&5 pins and we're all good! Top row :3rd from left and Bottom row 5th from left
Thanks again G and Bgw

Last edited by daddiojigg; 07-15-20 at 04:07 PM. Reason: content