SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream & Cable Problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 07:38 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I cannot get my XP computer to download Java. I was trying to download Java per GmanSC's post in preparation for my cable and software arrival next week but no luck. It will not even connect to the official JAVA web page.. Connects great to other web pages but not to the Java web page? Any thoughts?

Dennis
Fail to connect or fail to download might have something to do with XP version. Make sure you have latest XP, service pack 3?
Wait til your cable arrives then try to install. You might not need Java.
Old 10-28-18, 01:05 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts

GmanSC

Fails to connect. Nothing, I just get that window that says not connecting. I don't care which java site I go to it will not connect much download. I cannot even get close to a download button. Is there a service pack 3? I thought it stopped at service pack 2? I forget in XP where to check on what version you are running? It's been awhile since I used XP

Dennis
Old 10-28-18, 01:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

I cannot get my XP computer to download Java. I was trying to download Java per GmanSC's post in preparation for my cable and software arrival next week but no luck. It will not even connect to the official JAVA web page.. Connects great to other web pages but not to the Java web page? Any thoughts?

Dennis
Originally Posted by Bgw70

since your running XP, I would leave it alone for now...you cannot update java because the XP os is too old.
the TechStream software will load what it needs.
Yes, there was an sp3
Java...I think you need ver seven.
https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/winxp.xml

is your WinXP 32 or 64bit?
If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. If one method does not work, try the other method.Method 1: View the System window in Control Panel
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • For a 64-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    • For a 32-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

Note <Year> is a placeholder for a year.
Method 2: View the System Information window
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
  3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
    • If the value that corresponds to
      Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
    • If the value that corresponds to
      Processor starts with IA-64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-28-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 01:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

GmanSC

Fails to connect. Nothing, I just get that window that says not connecting. I don't care which java site I go to it will not connect much download. I cannot even get close to a download button. Is there a service pack 3? I thought it stopped at service pack 2? I forget in XP where to check on what version you are running? It's been awhile since I used XP

Dennis
read this thread...it may help with your Java issue.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...a-windows.html
Old 10-28-18, 02:43 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Bgw70

I read all that last night and tired them all and I get the same message: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. I then do the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP go through all the steps checking connectivity etc. This is the message I get: Windows cannot connect to internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by Firewall settings on this computer. Check firewall for HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443 and FTP port21. You might need to contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your firewall software.. So I went to Control Panel and clicked on the security app clicked on manage the firewall settings, went into advanced and put a check by HTTP port 80, HTTPS port 443 and FTP port 21. Clicked ok backed out restarted the computer and still get the same message: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. My sister bought this Dell Inspiron mini to use when she logged onto her companies network so she could check her e-mails etc when she was traveling. I suspect this problem is the result of some settings that had to be set to allow her to log onto the company network?

Dennis
Old 10-28-18, 02:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Dennis, sounds like you are having problem with connecting to the internet. Make sure you can connect to this site using your Del. If you can, then focus to other problems. Like BGW and I have said, you might not need Java at all.
Old 10-28-18, 03:17 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

GmanSC

I cannot log onto clublexus.com. I can log onto other web pages but I cannot log onto clublexus.com

Dennis
Old 10-28-18, 03:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

My sister bought this Dell Inspiron mini to use when she logged onto her companies network so she could check her e-mails etc when she was traveling. I suspect this problem is the result of some settings that had to be set to allow her to log onto the company network?
Dennis
I suspect that you are right. It is likely a security protocol that the company installed into the pc to prevent folks from going to certain sites deemed malicious.
Old 10-28-18, 04:56 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

I have tried 10 times to restore to factory setting but have not had any luck. Start computer at the dell push and hold Ctrl and push F11 then release both at the same time. The computer just continues to start up?

Dennis
Old 10-28-18, 05:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I have tried 10 times to restore to factory setting but have not had any luck. Start computer at the dell push and hold Ctrl and push F11 then release both at the same time. The computer just continues to start up?

Dennis
are you doing the ctrl and F11 like this,
Dell Restore is accessed by restarting the computer and pressing CTRL and F11, releasing both at the same time before you get the message about loading the descriptor for PBR2 below a blue bar running across the top of the screen.

this may help...
https://neosmart.net/wiki/restore-to-factory-settings/

Old 10-28-18, 07:20 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Bgw70

I can get to the Restore point but that does not allow me to reset to factory settings only to a set restore point. I need to get to the factory setting which should clear out what ever security protocol that I am guessing my sisters IT guy setup so she could log onto their network with it. I cannot seem to get to the dell reset using the ctrl and f8 keys it just continues on to booting up?

Dennis
Old 10-28-18, 07:47 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Is your sister still at the company? If so, she could ask one of the IT guys there. Maybe they'd undo it for you (probably a stretch though).
Old 10-29-18, 05:56 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Bgw70

I can get to the Restore point but that does not allow me to reset to factory settings only to a set restore point. I need to get to the factory setting which should clear out what ever security protocol that I am guessing my sisters IT guy setup so she could log onto their network with it. I cannot seem to get to the dell reset using the ctrl and f8 keys it just continues on to booting up?

Dennis
I do IT work and it is unlikely that you will be able to restore anything within the system. I would guess that the only way to make this computer usable outside the company environment with out their help is a format of the hard drive and a reinstall of the Windows OS. If the original sticker for Windows is on the machine you should be able to find an ISO file and make a bootable DVD to reinstall. Make sure it is the same flavor as the original OS. I have done this a number of times with computers that came out of corporate environments.
Old 10-29-18, 06:47 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

iolmaster

Yes all the stickers are still on the back. I will look for an ISO file.

Dennis
Old 10-29-18, 07:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Here is a link to an ISO file. Do you know how to format and partition a hard drive?

https://softfamous.com/windows-xp-sp3-operating-system/